Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
They currently have a kickstarter going for the bones line and you get a ton of miniatures that would make excellent proxies. I am in no way affiliated with reaper, I just like their sculpts and this looks like a heck of a deal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat...

My recommendations for proxying, some needing additional purchase for models.

Troll = orc or trolls/lizardmen*
Sorcerer = not hooded spell casters
Skeleton archer = skeleton
Shade = any of the translucent undead
Razorwing = harpy
Ogre = ogre
Medusa = medusa
Kobold = kobold
Ice wyrm = frost wyrm
Hellhound = hellhound
Giant = giants of your choice, including undead if you like
Ferrox = goblins
Crypt dragon = dragon of your choice.
Demon lord = demon of your choice
Deep elf = elf of your choice
Dark priest = hooded spell casters of your choice.
Chaos beast = eye beast or Mythos monsters
Beastman = pathfinder goblins
Bane spider = spider centaur if you like the size or spiders from vermin
Golem = nature/rock spirit
Lava beetle = giant beetle
naga = marilith
Manticore = griffon* (here's hoping the ? Figure is a manticore)

Not currently represented in the kickstarter:

Blood ape
Wendigo

*Currently on deck and not yet added as options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought about this and, well, no, they're not good proxies. You'd need two copies of the undead horde, for example, to get four skeleton archers and you'd have six extra undead miniatures. Giants are available only with the additional $10 packs, etc. etc.

OTOH, These are GREAT miniatures for gaming. For $100, you get about 100 miniatures. For $200, you can get over 150 miniatures, including large scale ones and two paint sets. If somebody asks you what you want for Christmas or your birthday, get this! I'm pledging $15 for a 36-miniature set of rats, goblins, and kobolds!

EDIT: If you've KS'ed the project, you can definitely post a comment to Reaper requesting a set of D1E proxies. I did!

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, the mini's should be fine for just the heroes. Check the KS levels to make sure what you get.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Okay, now I'm wrong! Reaper's added so many additional models to the $100 Vampire level, that you can get a good dose of proxies for $100. For a full set, two Vampire levels and the options should work. See the end of the thread for discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Howell
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll go ahead and pledge on this. $30 for 72 miniatures? I can dig that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I actually thought about this and, well, no, they're not good proxies. You'd need two copies of the undead horde, for example, to get four skeleton archers and you'd have six extra undead miniatures. Giants are available only with the additional $10 packs, etc. etc.

OTOH, These are GREAT miniatures for gaming. For $100, you get about 100 miniatures. For $200, you can get over 150 miniatures, including large scale ones and two paint sets. If somebody asks you what you want for Christmas or your birthday, get this! I'm pledging $15 for a 36-miniature set of rats, goblins, and kobolds!

EDIT: If you've KS'ed the project, you can definitely post a comment to Reaper requesting a set of D1E proxies. I did!

I was thinking for heroes, and you can always flesh out your monsters more later. How much is the skeleton pack retail, 2-3 bucks. I maintain that this line is a very cost effective way to proxy.

I plan on replacing my reds with some of the monsters and full proxying others. I don't care if all my skeletons are not holding bows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect or not...that is a sweet deal. I dropped a pledge of $110 already and will probably bump it up to $130 to get both the giants and the ogre/etten/knoll combo.

Even if they aren't the right size, that is an easy fix with cardboard bases. Also with imagination I can change a spear weilding skeleton into a skeleton archer....or even an elf archer to a skeleton archer.

Too good to pass up. I'm on the fence about the Ebonwrath.

I am thinking of the case too...not sure how the big ones will fit in it tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Perfect or not...that is a sweet deal. I dropped a pledge of $110 already and will probably bump it up to $130 to get both the giants and the ogre/etten/knoll combo.

Even if they aren't the right size, that is an easy fix with cardboard bases. Also with imagination I can change a spear weilding skeleton into a skeleton archer....or even an elf archer to a skeleton archer.

Too good to pass up. I'm on the fence about the Ebonwrath.

I am thinking of the case too...not sure how the big ones will fit in it tho.

I sprang for the case. It does not look like it will hold a dragon as is but you can buy custom foam inserts. It should fit ogres and giants though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I upped for the case and everything. What the heck..only live once. So I will get the vampire set + fire giants + frost giants + the big guy + the other 2 levels if they are reached.

Also I upped it for the case. I can't imagine it won't make it seeing how we are less than 40k away, and there are still 18 days to go.

Tomorrow my Descent kit should arrive so I can go through it and think of what will work for what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Law
Denmark
Kolding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
I upped for the case and everything.... Tomorrow my Descent kit should arrive so I can go through it and think of what will work for what.

I look forward to that... I would love to find a quick and easy way to add Descent 1st edition (proxies) to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How hyped can one be?

Never played Descent 1e or seen 2e and I've only told my retailer I'd like him to get a copy to test it, yet here I am backing kickstarter project for proxies for a games "add on" that I'm only hoping to fill that HeroQuest -size of a hole in my childhood memories.

Atleast I'll have around 100 figures to paint next spring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
likelyrooster wrote:
How hyped can one be?

Never played Descent 1e or seen 2e and I've only told my retailer I'd like him to get a copy to test it, yet here I am backing kickstarter project for proxies for a games "add on" that I'm only hoping to fill that HeroQuest -size of a hole in my childhood memories.

Atleast I'll have around 100 figures to paint next spring

They aren't perfect, but they come in white, so you only need to spray paint one red if you aren't into painting. As noted earlier you may not get a full proxy set for each monster but you can supplement later if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mick - After getting the set and kind of going through it...I am finding that you can actually proxy a lot of the 2nd ed ones pretty well. A few will be inacurate sized, like the spiders are smaller in the 2nd ed. The first ed ones look like they take a 2x2 space size rather than one square....an easy and handy fix is to make a base for each that fits the size and color code them, so everyone knows what monster it is by sight when you play a spider or any other 1st ed monster class as a 2nd ed proxy.

I am also planning on using my Doom figures and some of them from the bones set, like the skeletons.

likelyrooster wrote:

You are a HeroQuester too? When i saw this set I instantly thought of HeroQuest and how I am going to add new types of mosters to the game with these minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
When i saw this set I instantly thought of HeroQuest and how I am going to add new types of mosters to the game with these minis.

http://mortimerkhan.webs.com/warhammer.htm

Reaper just hit the Townsfolks stretch goal. Next goal are fire elementals at another 20K. Might have to bump my pledge to a Vampire if they do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
demondude777 wrote:
When i saw this set I instantly thought of HeroQuest and how I am going to add new types of mosters to the game with these minis.

http://mortimerkhan.webs.com/warhammer.htm

Reaper just hit the Townsfolks stretch goal. Next goal are fire elementals at another 20K. Might have to bump my pledge to a Vampire if they do that!

That one will definitely happen. As the dragons are after that, and I think a ton of people will up their pledge in preparation, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm at the vampire level already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that link. I've upped a doc file on the HeroQuest page with some of the monsters I've made. When the set comes I plan to work on even more.

And yes...I saw we hit the 285k mark. The dragons in the 340k mark look really nice!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So do I see this right - that for ANY level of pledge - you can add $25 and get that mini case? With the 6 trays? So I could pledge $1 and then add $25 bonus - and get that case?!

Isn't that an insanely good deal for a mini's case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
So do I see this right - that for ANY level of pledge - you can add $25 and get that mini case? With the 6 trays? So I could pledge $1 and then add $25 bonus - and get that case?!

Isn't that an insanely good deal for a mini's case?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Haunts look sweet...but that is 50k away. Someone pledge 50k please!!!

I've stopped thinking of these minis for descent, and I am now thinking more for HeroQuest.

Also i am getting afraid of how much I will actually spend here. Right now to get everything it is like $205 including the dragons that aren't far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump to let everyone know that they can now order an additional set of undead for $10. So you can have the correct amount of archers for $110...plus everything else in Vampire level.

This is going to make me poor. I am already budgeting for everything including all options and a case...plus the extra undead....not just for Descent, but I am really going to add flare to HeroQuest. When I get my sets I woun't need the minis in HeroQuest....except the mummies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Bump to let everyone know that they can now order an additional set of undead for $10. So you can have the correct amount of archers for $110...plus everything else in Vampire level.

This is going to make me poor. I am already budgeting for everything including all options and a case...plus the extra undead....not just for Descent, but I am really going to add flare to HeroQuest. When I get my sets I woun't need the minis in HeroQuest....except the mummies.

Give them time. Mummies may be next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

They've now hit the goal for two dragons for an additional $15 (or can you use the D2E dragons for the D1E ones?). The translucent fire elementals can proxy for the D2E elementals, in case you want to color your D2E elementals as air and water.

It's 21k until the Haunts, although you can just add them to your Vampire pledge if they don't reach the stretch goal (yeah, right). The goal after that are Demons, which are monsters in D1E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I have been checking it everyday and opted for everything plus extra undead.

I really like those Demons, they look really nice.

As for the mummies..they may come, but the haunts are awesome looking...maybe I will just change the mummies to haunts in HeroQuest.

Waiting until march or so will be hard.

I am kind of surprised they are still going up about 25k a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pike
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Descent 1st Ed. but no expansions. I'm getting the conversion kit as well as 2nd Edition. Would this set fill in many gaps for proxies for the expansions from 1st ed. that I don't have? I suppose it would help with some heroes as well.

Is there a significant size difference between these and Descent figures?

Finally, I may get these to start a minis collection in anticipation of playing D&D with my son as he gets older - I have a large lead miniature collection from 1981 and I suppose I should look for some lead free replacements. I haven't really priced any miniatures recently and am wondering how good of a deal is this for the vampire level? Less than a dollar a mini seems like a good deal but I'm pretty clueless at the present time re: what is a good deal and what is not re: miniatures (is this too good to pass up at this price?)

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

It's 21k until the Haunts, although you can just add them to your Vampire pledge if they don't reach the stretch goal (yeah, right).

They have to actually reach the stretch goal to be able to add them as extras - they just add them to there straight away so you can see how much it will cost to get extras.

Joe - I'm pretty sure this is an amazing deal, including extras like the paints and case. You can check out plenty of minis sites to see what people are saying:
Reaper: Kickstarter : Paint sets: 12 colors for $18 / 130+ miniatures for $100
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?335626-Reaper-M...
http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz65cl&page=1?Reaper-Miniatures-Bo...
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/464802.pag...
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?638684-Who-needs-more-mi...

And this looks like a good mix of miniatures suitable for DnD / Fantasy Roleplaying/Boardgaming.
Having said that you could wait until they are out and then buy what you want individually (probably for around twice the price - but that way you could buy only the figures you want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pike
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great resources. This does seem to be a really good deal. I imagine that they will continue to add to the line as well.

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King_Custard wrote:
I have Descent 1st Ed. but no expansions. I'm getting the conversion kit as well as 2nd Edition. Would this set fill in many gaps for proxies for the expansions from 1st ed. that I don't have? I suppose it would help with some heroes as well.

Is there a significant size difference between these and Descent figures?

Finally, I may get these to start a minis collection in anticipation of playing D&D with my son as he gets older - I have a large lead miniature collection from 1981 and I suppose I should look for some lead free replacements. I haven't really priced any miniatures recently and am wondering how good of a deal is this for the vampire level? Less than a dollar a mini seems like a good deal but I'm pretty clueless at the present time re: what is a good deal and what is not re: miniatures (is this too good to pass up at this price?)

Thanks for any advice!

They are a larger scale, standard miniature scale. But should only overlap squares a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.