Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot of the rules threads have differing opinions on when it is ok to touch a flag. Some say its touched at the end of a register, some say at the end of all registers played, Some say you just have to drive over it. What the hell??

I have the 2010 AH edition. The rules I have are kinda wishy washy.

Quote:
Any robot that's survived the mayhem to this point and is on a flag touches that flag. Starting next turn it can move on to the next flag.

Why would I wait until next turn to move on to the next flag? Why not the next register?

Then it goes on to say

Quote:
That completes a single register phase. Repeat the sequence for each register (left to right).

Does that mean I can touch a flag any register or not. WTF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of every register phase you tag a flag. You can't drive over it, you have to stop on it at the end of the register. You don't have to wait until the final register of the round.

Those are the rules we've always played, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, when you move onto a flag and then are pushed off in that same register, you were not on the flag at the end of the register
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Note, all of the above are true for all North American publishings of RoboRally.

The Amigo edition, published in Germany, peculiarly allows you to touch a flag by merely driving over it, never even having to come to a halt on it.

It's an oddball ruleset in many respects. By the rulebook, lasers-on-robots is a variant (by that rulebook's default rules, robots only push each other around and don't shoot each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can touch a flag every register, but you can't repair/draw a card until after all the registers are done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
So you can touch a flag every register, but you can't repair/draw a card until after all the registers are done?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you have the 3d edition, look at the player mats. The sequence of events printed there makes it pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resher L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Is it different for the last flag? The latest UK rulebook says:

"The winner is the first player to touch all the flags in order. The game can end as soon as the winner touches the last flag"

This reads as though winning can happen part way through a register phase, but is this just sloppy wording? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the word "touch" and it's not meant to apply until the end of the phase, eg the robot reaches out for the flag, but doesn't actually touch it until the end of the phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Resher wrote:
Is it different for the last flag? The latest UK rulebook says:

"The winner is the first player to touch all the flags in order. The game can end as soon as the winner touches the last flag"

This reads as though winning can happen part way through a register phase, but is this just sloppy wording? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the word "touch" and it's not meant to apply until the end of the phase, eg the robot reaches out for the flag, but doesn't actually touch it until the end of the phase?

Touching flags is a defined part of each Register flags. This is listed on the player mats in the latest editions. So for each phase:
A. Robots move
B. Board elements move
C. Lasers fire
D. Robots touch flags and update archive markers.

So you only officially "touch" the flag if you are still on it after all movements and weapons have fired - having driven over it, or been on it and then pushed off, doesn't count. This is the same for all flags, including the last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resher L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks - that seems clear. Which means although my wife got to last flag first in our debut game, our littlest beat all her siblings and parents by pushing mummy off and touching the flag first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.