Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Variants

Subject: two mages vs two mages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I have played a bunch of multiplayer Mage Wars games. They are very fun and very strategic. The ones I have played have Incorporated all 4 of the different wizards. Then the battle began.

The games I have played had a great variety of turn play. The first one I was the Wizard teaming up with the Priestess. We played it kind defensive at first them we put out a few fliers to do battle with allot of smaller creatures. These first level creatures were killed quickly with zone spells. It was a blast to see what you opponents did, then you had to team up with your partner and see if you could out think the other side. This game ended up being a win for us. The combo of direct damage from the Wizard and big flying creatures was just too much. The Priestess ended up dieing, but I was able to finish off the other two weakened mages. To make the game go quicker we just used one map in this game.

If you get a chance to do multi-player games I would suggest trying it. I love one on one games, but multi-player format is super fun.
Working together with someone adds a really interesting and enjoyable dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
can you give us some idea on how you ran it? I've seen using coins as action markers, which seems really easy. But did you have binders for the off mages or just gave them a pile of cards? Did you start 2 upper left and 2 lower right or use 1 in each corner? I'm curious because the first chance I'll get to play this will probably end up being 4 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I really like games that can be played with teams. I was wondering, how long does a two on two game take on average as opposed to a one on one game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I was lucky enough to have 4 mage spell books. We started with a mage in each corner, the people on the same team were in closer corners. It took about 2 1/2 or so hours. There were 3 beginners and me. Everyone loved it and had a great time. If there were 3 experienced players it would have taken maybe an hour or 1 1/2 hours.

My teammate and I started defensively with doing mana crystals and a gate to voltari. Then I did a forge and she started bringing out angels. The opponents were doing allot of small level 1 creature. Who we were able to kill most of with zone spells. One advantage we had, we were right next to each other. This was helpful in focusing our attacks. Stun is very powerful in slowing down a mage from casting creature spells. This helped in stopping the Warlock from getting out many good creatures. Chain lightning was also very useful in picking off creatures and hitting more than one mage with one spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
Played with one core set? Two? Core set plus Spell Tome Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kring wrote:

I'm interested in a response to the above also.

Did you flush out any balance issues during your 2 Vs 2 matches?
Did one partnership seem stronger than another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kring wrote:

Not sure why the original poster hasn't replied, but I can't see how the answer could have been anything other than with Two Core Sets.

The variant was posted August 5th and from what I can see in the forums here game shops didn't have the Core Spell Tomes in stock until September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparkytbg wrote:
It took about 2 1/2 or so hours. There were 3 beginners and me. Everyone loved it and had a great time. If there were 3 experienced players it would have taken maybe an hour or 1 1/2 hours.

OMG. Our games take at least 4 hours and we are 4 experienced players. What really takes a lot of time is the planning phase, where we leave the table groupwise and discuss the next turn, which adds a lot of tactical flavour to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.