United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A disclosure on this one: Bohnanza is not a favorite game of mine and I questioned the value of having it on iOS. To be honest, I think trading games played against an AI seems strange to me. But, I also thought auction games wouldn’t really work and although I find most of them wonky, they function reasonably and I can get enough pleasure out of the game to inspire me to play it next time I have actual people in the house ready to play a game.

Bohnanza is reasonably packaged for the iPhone (I got the iPhone version but it’s not the HD version for the iPad in another annoying format problem for owners of both devices) - developers deserve maximum ire for the refusal to sell a single version for both devices to users who have both. The graphics make use of the original Bohnanza cartoon art with the various beans actually developed in a way. During certain times in the game, you get to see slight variants of the art appear on-screen that help denote when a card must be played. Otherwise, it’s fairly stale when it comes to graphics. Simple images of the cards are plastered around a couple of scenes for the interface (which is easy enough to use). Players can follow a serviceable tutorial that is pretty wordy instead of visual if they don’t know the game.

At it’s heart, Bohnanza is a trading game because although you could play the entire game without trading, you optimize your hand and your play each turn by trading cards with others and hoping that what you traded away doesn’t provide a bigger bonus for your opponent than your take on the deal does for you. Thus, you’re in the weird world of trading with AI players unless you do pass-and-play. The trade dialog box is okay - it’s pretty easy to add what you want to trade and show what you want for your beans. It isn’t easy to modify it much (as in, I want TWO green beans for my Blue Beans, not one). So, this turns into a bit of trial and error to get the combos right and, annoying, sometimes the computer changes its mind. I’ve had a number of times when the computer refused to take a trade and then I offered it again (once more just before his turn passed) and he took it. While this is a bit like a player changing his mind, does this mean I need to double-check to see if the AI players will take a bid they rejected earlier? That could get annoying - so I only check for ones I really, really want. But I’m not big on having to recall that.

The game is also just too long on the iOS for what it is. With all the clicks to confirm trades, pass on player turns without trading and the voluminous card stack, I’ve always lost interest in Bohnanza before it was over. I want this game boiled down to a shorter, less-clicky experience or I can’t really see playing it all that much. It did, however, inspire me to bring it out again when we had seven players and I found it more enjoyable than I remembered - and certainly a better experience than on the iOS. We laughed and joked about trades, trash-talked, accused people of helping the leaders...all the stuff you can’t do on your handheld device. But, for training, Bohnanza’s app will work fine if you forgot the game or want to build familiarity with it before going to a game day. But for long-term play, I don’t think this is a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer = NO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Short answer = NO

Couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Have to disagree. We have played regular Bohnanza hundreds of times in the last 5 years and still love it. Bought the app when it first came out.

The app is quite good for me and I play it nearly every day. I never found it long or fiddly to play. My only major gripe is that of all the AI players, Sherlock Bohnes is the only one that will donate beans. All the others will always tear up a good field instead of trading. That's just not realistic!

Overall, very cost effective since I have played it so much. No regrets here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bboppr wrote:

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Have to disagree. We have played regular Bohnanza hundreds of times in the last 5 years and still love it. Bought the app when it first came out.

The app is quite good for me and I play it nearly every day. I never found it long or fiddly to play. My only major gripe is that of all the AI players, Sherlock Bohnes is the only one that will donate beans. All the others will always tear up a good field instead of trading. That's just not realistic!

Overall, very cost effective since I have played it so much. No regrets here.

I've no doubt that it can be enjoyed by people but for me Bohnanza is about the social interaction of the players. An app can't reproduce that effectively enough so I'd rather play something else on the phone and save the game for playing in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm not a huge fan of this on iOS. Like the OP said, it's too clicky and made way more complicated than it needs to be. I only played it once or twice before getting annoyed with it and haven't gone back to it. It's really a shame, b/c I love the card game.

I can't remember if connecting b/t two devices is an option like it is with Ticket to Ride. If so, that may make the iOS version worth trying again, since my husband and I like to play iPhone to iPhone when we go out for breakfast on the weekends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Bohnanza on iOS is like putting monopoly money in the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already bought it, so I'll give the iOS version another shot, but my initial impressions were the interface was awful. To me I know the social interaction is missing, but I'm trading off that for quicker games, which I'm fine with. To me, it's not all about the social interaction. Playing a good game also counts for alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which company makes it? Just so I can be sure to avoid them if they make poor interfaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Which company makes it? Just so I can be sure to avoid them if they make poor interfaces?
Aspirement
Oddly enough, when you click on their link, it takes you to boxed products of Bohnanza and its various flavors....
http://www.amigo-spiele.de/index.php?option=com_content&view...

Thay've also made:
• Bohnanza HD
• Bohnanza Tutorial
• BohnanzaHD Tutorial
• EURO 2012 Polish language vocabulary trainer for the European Football Championship by babbel.com
• Snuggle Jump
• Snuggle Run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.