fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/jeffrey-ross-joe-paterno-a...

Too soon?
EW wrote:
Comedy Central’s taping of the Roast of Roseanne on Saturday night was a relatively tame affair – except for the appearance by the self-proclaimed king of roasts, Jeffrey Ross.

The comedian, who has now appeared in 10 of Comedy Central’s roasts and who is currently the Roastmaster General at the New York Friar’s Club, clearly stepped into the Hollywood Palladium with intent to push the envelope on Saturday, and if the audience’s reaction is any indication, he succeeded.

Before the taping started, the crowd gathered for dinner in the Hollywood venue was abuzz with Ross’ red carpet appearance. In a reference to one of the country’s biggest scandals of 2011, Ross had come dressed as the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, flanked by two adolescent-looking boys, who wore nothing but football helmets and towels tied around their waists.

The entourage didn’t appear during the taping, but Ross did wear his Paterno outfit for the show. Once Ross took to the podium, he turned to red-haired fellow roaster Seth Green. “Congratulations,” Ross said to Green. “This is actually a really big night for you. You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.”

The joke was met with a resounding ohhhhh from the audience, but Ross wasn’t finished. “I’m kidding!” he said. “You’re not like James Holmes. At least he’s doing something in a movie theater that people remember.” That was met with continuing sounds of mouth-gaped shock, along with a mix of boo’s and a scattering of slow applause.

Ross follows actor-comedian Dane Cook’s recent jokes about the July 20 shooting at an Aurora, Colo. midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Cook later apologized, saying, “I made a bad judgment call with my material last night & regret making a joke at such a sensitive time.”

Backstage after the taping, Barr was clear with reporters about what she thought of Ross’ ill-received jokes.

“That crossed the line,” she said. “But comedy is about moving the line… And where is the line in a country that has freedom of speech? Maybe there isn’t one.”

Barr also commented on the recent trend of comedians apologizing for their offensive jokes. “You do take a risk to say anything these days,” she said. “Yeah, there are people that are just short of stalkers, waiting for you to f— up so they can do their self-righteous thing. Comics are the bravest of the brave. A lot of comics who do cross-the-line stuff — there’s a lot to be scared about… We’re certainly not gonna f—ing shut up. We’re not gonna go that way.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Friars Club roast, there is no line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/jeffrey-ross-joe-paterno-a...

Too soon?
EW wrote:
Comedy Central’s taping of the Roast of Roseanne on Saturday night was a relatively tame affair – except for the appearance by the self-proclaimed king of roasts, Jeffrey Ross.

The comedian, who has now appeared in 10 of Comedy Central’s roasts and who is currently the Roastmaster General at the New York Friar’s Club, clearly stepped into the Hollywood Palladium with intent to push the envelope on Saturday, and if the audience’s reaction is any indication, he succeeded.

Before the taping started, the crowd gathered for dinner in the Hollywood venue was abuzz with Ross’ red carpet appearance. In a reference to one of the country’s biggest scandals of 2011, Ross had come dressed as the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, flanked by two adolescent-looking boys, who wore nothing but football helmets and towels tied around their waists.

The entourage didn’t appear during the taping, but Ross did wear his Paterno outfit for the show. Once Ross took to the podium, he turned to red-haired fellow roaster Seth Green. “Congratulations,” Ross said to Green. “This is actually a really big night for you. You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.”

The joke was met with a resounding ohhhhh from the audience, but Ross wasn’t finished. “I’m kidding!” he said. “You’re not like James Holmes. At least he’s doing something in a movie theater that people remember.” That was met with continuing sounds of mouth-gaped shock, along with a mix of boo’s and a scattering of slow applause.

Ross follows actor-comedian Dane Cook’s recent jokes about the July 20 shooting at an Aurora, Colo. midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Cook later apologized, saying, “I made a bad judgment call with my material last night & regret making a joke at such a sensitive time.”

Backstage after the taping, Barr was clear with reporters about what she thought of Ross’ ill-received jokes.

“That crossed the line,” she said. “But comedy is about moving the line… And where is the line in a country that has freedom of speech? Maybe there isn’t one.”

Barr also commented on the recent trend of comedians apologizing for their offensive jokes. “You do take a risk to say anything these days,” she said. “Yeah, there are people that are just short of stalkers, waiting for you to f— up so they can do their self-righteous thing. Comics are the bravest of the brave. A lot of comics who do cross-the-line stuff — there’s a lot to be scared about… We’re certainly not gonna f—ing shut up. We’re not gonna go that way.”

Comedian roasts like the Friar's Club are traditionally "no holds barred" comedy in which saying things that are insanely offensive/racist/whatever are sort of considered part of the fun. They're generally by comics, for comics, and comics are ****ing lunatics, so it makes sense that truly nasty, offensive things could be said without really offending or upsetting anyone.

I'm not sure where I feel the lines should be drawn regarding televised roasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news at least his colorado joke was funny, unlike the dumb one told by overrated ****wit Dane Cook who just made a "huhuh wouldn't it have been funny if someone in the theater had just said 'oh god shoot me' because the movie sucked and then the guy started shooting huhuh" joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. Offensive or not I just didnt find his jokes funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EW wrote:

[/q]

The best thing to come out of her mouth ever....
in or out of context, and something to think of.

There is always a trade-off.... whether its freedom of speech [ where anyone can say anything] or the Right to bear Arms [ although I think the original idea was for self preservation and protection]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I don't think anyone in the US wants to make offensive jokes illegal, so it's got nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Crap, I agree with you, I must be more tired than I thought.

Seriously though. There's a difference between pointing at someone and saying 'That should be illegal!' and pointing at them and going,"Dude is an ass, who is paying this guy again?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Too soon?

Needs more rape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be no line with freedom of speech. I don't think anyone should be taking the position that these 'comedians' shouldn't be allowed to make these kinds of jokes.

Having said that, there is something in the world of comedy to be said for:
a) Having a certain sense of decorum about subjects like pedophilia and mass murder...and
b) Telling jokes that are actually funny.

I guess in the final analysis, I think that people should have the right to be awful and tasteless comedians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
What's truly offensive is that you didn't put a spoiler alert on this. The roast isn't even on until the 12th! Between you and Yahoo outing that Tom Arnold is making a "surprise" (some surprise) appearance, I'll only have the credits to watch to see something new.

EDIT: I mean really people, this isn't the Olympics, this is IMPORTANT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey Ross rarely disappoints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
What's truly offensive is that you didn't put a spoiler alert on this. The roast isn't even on until the 12th! Between you and Yahoo outing that Tom Arnold is making a "surprise" (some surprise) appearance, I'll only have the credits to watch to see something new.

EDIT: I mean really people, this isn't the Olympics, this is IMPORTANT!

You should be glad this thread exists. Comedy Central has cut the Aurora joke from airing, so this is the only way you'll hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.. the whole attitude that vast numbers of people in the USA believe killing is OK if you feel justified scares the crap out of me. When this belief spills into random public places, well...

I really don't think making light of it is acceptable at all. But the fact is, the vast majority of the viewers will want to watch this "Roast" thing because of his joke (aired or not)..

Sad..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Hmmm.. the whole attitude that vast numbers of people in the USA believe killing is OK if you feel justified scares the crap out of me. When this belief spills into random public places, well...

I really don't think making light of it is acceptable at all. But the fact is, the vast majority of the viewers will want to watch this "Roast" thing because of his joke (aired or not)..

Sad..

I once heard my mom cheer for a woman that shot her husband because he cheated on her. This culture can be terrifying when you stop to think about it.

Black comedy is always acceptable, however. Especially at a roast of all places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me a good offensive joke is one where I'm offended and I laugh.

If a joke offends others and I laugh, then it might be funny, but it's not really offensive in the same sense, at least to me.

I think there's a big difference between these two situations, and the best offensive comedians aim to be in the 1st set, and the worst are aiming to be in the second set (for as large a group as possible).

The second is also much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.