M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnecessary Preamble

I finally found (2+yrs) my copy of Money!.
I'll bring it along. I consider it one of my favourite fillers.

I also found Groo: The Game and the expansion.
I am not letting that thing out of my sight again.
The game is okay/fun/silly, I just really like the art.

Noticed Puerto Rico dropped another place on BGG to fourth.
Through the Ages moved up.
I really like both.
I gave PR a 10, TTA is a favourite as well. However, the super fiddliness of the components plus the lack of proofreading on the cards (that can affect the game) means it "didn't stick the landing".
So only a 9.5

--------------

Next meeting of the Ottawa Games Group is this Wednesday, August 8th, 2012.

If you are coming, I invite you to list the specific games you are bringing below.

As well, if there is something you would like to see or something you would like someone else to bring feel free to request it here.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME.

If it your first time straying beyond Hasbro and Parker Brothers board games there are some great teachers here to help make it easy.

Please Remember $2.50 goes to the Legion.
Please remember no hats in the Legion out of respect for the fallen.

We start around 6:30.
We usually go until 9:30 or 10:00pm.

Canadian Legion Branch 480 - Westboro, 389 Richmond Road, upstairs.

Google maps:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=r...

Please bring $2.50 for the Legion.
Please remember on Wednesday nights the Legion serves food downstairs.

--------------------------------

MEMBERSHIP IS OPTIONAL - BUT CAN HAVE IT'S PRIVILEGES!

Membership provides discounts at local retailers through a membership card system.

There are two options:
1. $5.00 to Steve Larkin in Kanata. This entitles you to the cards
2. Prepay 3 weeks for the Legion (3 X $2.50 = $7.50)**. This entitles you to the cards and provides three weeks of dues to the Legion.
**Looks like it is still $7.50.

Recommendations are as follows:
If you are going to play at the Legion at least twice, I would do the prepay.
However, if you are in the west end and do not plan to go to the Legion, I would just pay the $5.00 to Steve at KGG.
Steve goes by srlarkin on BGG.

Just geekmail or ask at a session if you are interested in the membership discount cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my money intro I noticed I didn't even have it listed.
Sad, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be out this week but I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of Groo for quite some time now and I'd love to give it a try. You'll have to bring it out in the future so I can get a chance to play it.
Have fun this week guys and I'll see you in a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
I won't be out this week but I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of Groo for quite some time now and I'd love to give it a try. You'll have to bring it out in the future so I can get a chance to play it.

Just as long as it doesn't leave his sight, playing sounds like fun. I assume you have to keep an eye on it just in case of spontaneous board combustion.

Took a look at the pictures of the game and it looks like it is too late, the board has already been burnt by Groo. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,

I just received an geekmail from Greig about an upcoming Con.

The link is at:
www.castlecon.net

I will bring the poster along.

See you Wed!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
Hi There,

I just received an geekmail from Greig about an upcoming Con.

The link is at:
www.castlecon.net

I will bring the poster along.

See you Wed!

goo

Thank you very much for posting this.

CastleCon is a three day board gaming convention hosted in Oshawa, Ontario from October 19-21, 2012. The gaming room opens on Friday at 10am and closes at 5pm on Sunday. Last year we had about sixty-five attendees and looking to have at least that many again this year. It is an open gaming style convention, though we will be having demos and tournaments as well. Fungamescafe will be there Friday and Saturday. We will be having a Math Trade as well as a Silent Auction.

Last year was about 70% board game (Euro, Ameristyle, and Card) and 30% war game.

We are only a four hour drive from Ottawa and we hope that some of you make the trip down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
MrZoz wrote:
Unnecessary Preamble

Next meeting of the Ottawa Games Group is this Wednesday, August 8th, 2012.

If you are coming, I invite you to list the specific games you are bringing below.

As well, if there is something you would like to see or something you would like someone else to bring feel free to request it here.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME.

If it your first time straying beyond Hasbro and Parker Brothers board games there are some great teachers here to help make it easy.

Please Remember $2.50 goes to the Legion.
Please remember no hats in the Legion out of respect for the fallen.

We start around 6:30.
We usually go until 9:30 or 10:00pm.

Hey there!

I play a fair amount of board games and am looking to play outside my regular circle of friends. Was juts wondering if you could provide additional details about these get togethers. Is it a bunch of players put together randomly to play to play random games, or is it more like small clicks mostly playing the same game every get together? Any details would be great.

I really should get out more. lol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
a bunch of players put together randomly to play to play random games

this one. Feel free to come on out!

Look I"m inviting people and haven't even been to this one myself in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Very random indeed, although some will sometimes use these threads to plan ahead.

(and welcome again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leduc
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm asking late, but does anybody have a copy of Sneaks & Snitches? And yeah, I'm planning to come out...first time this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can show up, will be getting there a few minutes late though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominique, Michelle and I are coming. We're bringing some games on the Ameritrash-y side: Robo Rally, King of Tokyo, Small World w/ expansions. But we're up for just about anything that isn't "too heavy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Deyette
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoneDog wrote:
I know I'm asking late, but does anybody have a copy of Sneaks & Snitches? And yeah, I'm planning to come out...first time this summer.

I'm planning to be there tonight. Al, I'll bring a copy of Sneaks & Snitches or you can stop by anytime for it.

I'll also bring some of this year's Spiel des
Jahres winners, Kingdom Builder and Village. Hopefully I can convince a few people to join me in a 4 player game of village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor The Aussie
Canada
flag msg tools
I will be there tonight. Adam, Michael & Chris, I finally have made another AGOT deck, if anyone wants to have a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
googoo

Kurt won Alien Frontiers with a "sneak by in the last second" victory.
Kuuby won one game of Money!, I won the other.

How did Evo! play?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Can you guys give me a breakdown of the evening?

How many people roughly, and what games were played.

ty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess 20-25. There were 4 or 5 games going at any given time.

I was involved in a 5-player game of Small World Realms (took about 2 hours including explanation of some rules for the scenario and description of available races and powers; 2 players had only played "vanilla" Small World once before, while the other 3 were Small World veterans). We followed that up with a 5-player game of Liar's Dice (Perudo), as we only had about 30 minutes left before close.

The other games I remember seeing on other tables included A Game of Thrones - The Card Game, Village, Medici (?), Alien Frontiers, Edo and Tichu. I'm sure there were more, but we showed up late (7:30).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Add Steam, Modern Art: The Card Game & Dominant Species: The Card Game to the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
Add Steam, Modern Art: The Card Game & Dominant Species: The Card Game to the list

How is the DS card game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Halden wrote:
lajaro wrote:

How is the DS card game?

I liked it and worked well with four. Would like to try with three and five - not sure how well it would work with two, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
flag msg tools
Just wanted to send out a thanks to John and Chris for teaching Steam and AGoT: LCG respectively. Both were really fun.

I wish I could have stuck around for a game of Village. How did that go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Moose2387 wrote:
Just wanted to send out a thanks to John and Chris for teaching Steam and AGoT: LCG respectively. Both were really fun.

I wish I could have stuck around for a game of Village. How did that go?

A very enjoyable euro. But be warned - your meeples will die, so don't get too attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:

Kurt won Alien Frontiers with a "sneak by in the last second" victory.
Kuuby won one game of Money!, I won the other.

How did Evo! play?

Thank you for letting me get Alien Frontiers to the table with the shiny new eye candy. The ability to play with 5 may not be so great though as it just adds to the between turns downtime, although it does add a lot more area control interaction. Playing with the new Agenda cards, adding hidden VP objectives, might have been interesting. They may help get rid of that victory going to a late good dice roll, which does seem to happen rather frequently.

Money! was a challenge for me but interesting to play. I also have no hope at Modern Art and a myriad of other Knizia's so it must just be something in the way I think. Give me a head to head wargame any day.

Edo ... not Evo or was there another Evo somewhere. Interesting game with many options and some interesting mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.