Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I admit I am now officially a Space Alert addict. This game is simply amazing. That does not mean however that I wouldn't want to play something else along the same (or similar) lines. Hence the question - can you suggest any game similar to SA?

What I mean by similar:
A full co-op is a must, the more thematic the better - we are not looking for semi co-op games (a'la BSG) or one-against-all games (a'la Mansions of Madness) - though we do play and enjoy both of the above - but it is not the point of this thread.

What we've already played and what we think about it:
- Pandemic - we really like it, it's just too light for our tastes - we play it once a while
- Forbidden Island - see Pandemic, only even lighter
- Ghost Stories - ok, but a little bit frustrating and too random
- Arkham Horror - great, amazing theme, a bit too random sometimes - we play it quite often (for a 5 hour game at least, heh)
- Elder Sign - nice, but definitely too random and fiddly
- LotR LCG - some of us like it (the veteran CCG crowd), for the rest it is a bit too rules-heavy and puzzle kind of game, too high point of entry

What we love about Space Alert:
- level of challenge
- time pressure and all it brings to the game
- the way the game really makes you better each time you play

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Space Alert is really one of the few real-time cooperative games. Wok Star isn't very good, but it's really the only other one out there.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is good. Complexity isn't that much more than Pandemic, but the theme is very strong.

Hanabi is a deductive cooperative game, and one that definitely has a skill curve as far as how to really stretch those clues, and how you give your clues.

Eaten By Zombies CAN be played cooperatively, but it often degenerates into every-player-for-themselves

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings (different from the LotR LCG) is probably worth a look.

Perhaps also Defenders of the Realm, which takes Pandemic and adds some complexity to it (though it also adds dice rolling which you may find frustrating).

If you like Pandemic well enough, I'd encourage you to get the On The Brink expansion, which adds new roles, new special event cards, and a couple new disease variants that might increase the interest to your liking.

But yeah, nothing has done real-time like Space Alert. Wok Star is a good try, and I'm hoping the reason that it is taking so long to come out is that Z-man is doing some retooling, because if that game got a little more developed it could be pretty excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the advice

I have always assumed that LotR is a one-against-all game, so didn't even check it out in greater detail. I will need to do that now.

As for On the Brink, we have tried it and we do play it - but it's basically still Pandemic, neither the 5th disease nor more epidemic cards change anything really.

Wok Star is something which made me curious - will have to check it out too.

...and I'm really on the fence when Flash Point is concerned - I've watched some video reviews when I was first looking for a co-op game and I wasn't sure about the randomness. Now that I see that there are 2 expacs I might want to see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple may be worth keeping an eye on.

Also Hanabi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found LotR the Reiner Knizia board game to be very dull. I love LotR, but unfortunately the game just did not do it for us.

On the other hand, the cooperative card game is quite fun if you like building your own decks!

Wok Star is completely avoidable. The main problem with the game is that there are no interesting decisions to make, and the whole game can be run with just one person.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind print and play, Sink the Carrier may have some similarities. It's co-op and has a time pressure...which gets more intense each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
I found LotR the Reiner Knizia board game to be very dull. I love LotR, but unfortunately the game just did not do it for us.

On the other hand, the cooperative card game is quite fun if you like building your own decks!

I don't know the board game but agree that the "living card game" is awesome, and plays up to 4 people. Not real-time but certainly has an interesting level of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
If you don't mind print and play, Sink the Carrier may have some similarities. It's co-op and has a time pressure...which gets more intense each round.

That looks very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like the upcoming Space Cadets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
Zeede wrote:

I don't know the board game but agree that the "living card game" is awesome, and plays up to 4 people. Not real-time but certainly has an interesting level of complexity.

Yes, I've got LotR LCG + 6 adventure packs, but I'm one of those CCG vets - I simply adore deck construction and fiddling with the combos for hours before the game... but most of our gaming group does not

Raviv - I've read about the Space Cadets... let me just say that it jumped right on my "must see in Essen" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should keep your eye on the development of Damage Report, from Break from Reality Games. It's slated to launch on Kickstarter at the end of August. A quick list of features:
- Fully co-op
- 2-6 players
- Real-time, simultaneous play
- Players are crew on a space ship

Sound a little familiar to Space Alert?

The game uses sand timers instead of a soundtrack. A random deck of Attack cards provides variety. Also, a book of scenarios is supposed to come with the game, including the ability to play a series of scenarios, maintaining the crew and condition of the ship between scenarios.

I'm supposed to get a prototype copy of the game to review in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to post some more information on this new game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Red November?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi - Not as thematic, but very challenging. No time pressure. You get better collectively if you play with the same group.

Some others you might want to take a look at:
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - No real time pressures, but does get intense.

Star Trek: Expeditions - These were 50% off at B&N. I waited until they went to 75% off sale, but they suddenly disappeared at my store.

I'm assuming you have the expansion Space Alert: The New Frontier, which is said to increase the difficulty.

If you ever consider a non-co-op. I get a lot of the same feel (time pressure, ship blasting apart during voyage resolution) from Galaxy Trucker even though the games are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some of us have played Red November - with mixed but generally positive reviews. And yes, we do play SA with the expansion

I looked at Hanabi at first, but I was put off by lack of theme... after seeing several people recommend it though... well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:

Sorry, but I don't get why people like Space Hulk: Death Angel the card game.

Decisions are almost nil, since your space marines somehow can't TURN AROUND, and a player's two marines can be eliminated on the first turn, leaving them with nothing to do while everyone else finishes slogging through the game.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second the non-CCG LotR game. I didn't find it dull at all and it was much more co-op than Arkham, IMHO. It's abstract (it is Knizia after all), but captures the feel of the quest getting harder for the hobbits as they progress toward Mordor.

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game can be played either cooperatively or competitively. Either way, it's fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at this geeklist: PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
fanofuna wrote:

Sorry, but I don't get why people like Space Hulk: Death Angel the card game.

Decisions are almost nil, since your space marines somehow can't TURN AROUND, and a player's two marines can be eliminated on the first turn, leaving them with nothing to do while everyone else finishes slogging through the game.

Cameron

I would only ever suggest Death Angel to someone as a solo game, which to be fair is what I think it was designed to be. In that respect it's a pretty decent product.

I will echo the dislike of Lord of the Rings, especially for someone looking for the manic seat of your pants pressure of Space Alert. I find almost no thematic relevance to decisions made in that game, while Space Alert feels exactly like what it purports to be. While Lord of the Rings has ever so slightly more ambiance than is usual for Knizia, which is to say absolutely any modicum whatsoever, for me it is still a completely dull and lifeless game.

I'd like to be more help, but I think Space Alert is a singular experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye out for Wok Star. It's allegedly going to come out some time in the next 18 months. Allegedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that if you are a fan of Space Alert, Wok Star isn't going to whet your appetite one bit.

Unless Z-Man is changing things significantly, the game is going to be really dull after the first play for any Space Alert veteran.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
You may want to look at this geeklist: PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games

Thanks! That's some games to go through

Have any of you played the Star Trek: Expeditions game? Seems decent where theme is concerned.

And yes, nothing will ever be the same after Space Alert, I get that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orions wrote:
Ok, I admit I am now officially a Space Alert addict. This game is simply amazing. That does not mean however that I wouldn't want to play something else along the same (or similar) lines. Hence the question - can you suggest any game similar to SA?

What I mean by similar:
A full co-op is a must, the more thematic the better - we are not looking for semi co-op games (a'la BSG) or one-against-all games (a'la Mansions of Madness) - though we do play and enjoy both of the above - but it is not the point of this thread.

What we've already played and what we think about it:
- Pandemic - we really like it, it's just too light for our tastes - we play it once a while
- Forbidden Island - see Pandemic, only even lighter
- Ghost Stories - ok, but a little bit frustrating and too random
- Arkham Horror - great, amazing theme, a bit too random sometimes - we play it quite often (for a 5 hour game at least, heh)
- Elder Sign - nice, but definitely too random and fiddly
- LotR LCG - some of us like it (the veteran CCG crowd), for the rest it is a bit too rules-heavy and puzzle kind of game, too high point of entry

What we love about Space Alert:
- level of challenge
- time pressure and all it brings to the game
- the way the game really makes you better each time you play

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I'd keep playing space alert. It's my favorite coop. Hanabi is fun too.

Or perhaps a coop variant version of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. It's coop with a traitor or two. Though I do enjoy it quite a lot, I assume someone has made a coop variant that removes the traitor aspect. However, the most thematic element of the BSG board game is the fact that there is a traitor. Really ties in with the show.

I've heard good things about Sentinels of the Multiverse and about the publisher too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.