Subject: How long does it takes to play it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelė
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours? 3? 4? 5?

It's written 120minutes, but is it true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how you define 'play it'.
Single quest? 2 quests? Full campaign?

With 2 players, we manage to finish single quests (2 encounters) between 30-60 minutes.

In full campaign you can' save' the game between quests, so you have some control over a lenght of a single play session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three five-player games with a group pretty unfamiliar with the Descent system in 2.5 hours. That time included setup in between for each encounter, but not rules explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played for 4 hours, including one dinner break. We finished "First Blood" and both parts of "Fat Goblin". 3 players, 4 heroes. All experienced gamers. One new to "Descent", either edition.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tend to play one encounter per evening. It takes about an hour given all the interruptions from kids trying to fall asleep. This works well for us. Then we take note of all relevant information (damage sustained, cards held, etc.) and finish off the second encounter the following evening.

So it all depends how you want to do it and what your situation is. If you do it the way you're "supposed" to do it, which is to play both encounters of a quest, you can easily finish within 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some encounters are over in 3 turns, others can take up to maybe 8+ turns. I'd say 120 minutes is a good estimate to finish one of the long quests, including setup. The short ones take no more than an hour, even with some rules explanation, at least that's my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been averaging about an hour per encounter (2 hours per quest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kent
United States
Houston
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started a 5 player campaign on Saturday. We played 3 maps in 5 hours. This included rules explanation to 3 that had not played it.

We were taking our time and enjoying a leisurely game pace. So it was about 1.5 hours a map.
Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
With 2 players, we manage to finish single quests (2 encounters) between 30-60 minutes.

Wait, what? You manage to complete two encounters in thirty minutes? How is that even physically possible? Even if you're excluding the setup and teardown time (which isn't really fair), 15 minutes per encounter seems ridiculously fast. Unless these are quick turn 3 wins or something?

With my wife and I, games tend to be close (meaning no quick turn 3 wins), and it takes us about an hour per encounter including setup. It's certainly possible to play faster than that, but unless you're trying to set a speed record, or one side is much better than the other side and winning very quickly, I wouldn't expect it to go much faster than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Walker
msg tools
mbmb
Me and my wife played a Quest in 60-80 minutes including setup. Newer players and more players takes it up to an average of 2 hours (60 minutes per encounter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Prunk
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've only played First Blood so far, it's the smallest one and it took about 30 minutes with 4 new players. Based on this quest and taking a look at the rest of the book I would estimate about 1-2 hours per quest.

So 120m is a good estimate, but I'm sure there are faster quests in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the quest, and how the game is stored. I just have everything in the box, albeit each counter type bagged up separately. Setup is about 10 minutes, tear-down about 3. The quests vary, but for two players I've found the following. Including post-quest shopping/XP spending, I'd say 1-3 hours, depending on which quest it is, with the above setup/tear down times. So roughly halve that if you just play a single encounter (i.e. half a quest). The entire campaign is 9 quests, so you're looking at 20-30 hours to play the entire campaign through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.