United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon is now up on BGG! It appears to take DonE's Commander variant and give the game a new theme, with Merlin being the Commander. I am super pumped about this version solely for the new theme, which I think is more accessible to the non-gamers I tend to introduce this game too.

I've also heard reports about an entirely new edition the "regular" Resistance, with new components that clarify aspects of the game (like mission cards that have the words on them explaining whether the card passes or sabotages the mission). The spy symbol has changed from a lollipop to a triangle.

As of yet, Travis is silent-ish on this issue but helpfully he'll reveal all soon. He's supposedly demoing this stuff at GenCon so I'd expect him to start releasing more details any day now. Release date is set for October 16, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Finally, a hidden traitor game set in Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Sounds great. Finally, a hidden traitor game set in Avalon.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or if you really need to get your hands on a copy of Shadows over Camelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sarcasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neato!

Exciting news. So, story/thematically, is this set in King Arthur era or in the future? The BGG description makes it sound like we're still in the future and that the sides of good and evil are just taking on Arthurian tones within the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is set in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I believe it is set in the past.

I know nothing about it. Clyde is a spy though, so he probably knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I've also heard reports about an entirely new edition the "regular" Resistance, with new components that clarify aspects of the game (like mission cards that have the words on them explaining whether the card passes or sabotages the mission). The spy symbol has changed from a lollipop to a triangle.

Really??? I just got The Resistance for my birthday after waiting years for my own copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Really??? I just got The Resistance for my birthday after waiting years for my own copy...

If it makes you feel any better, I like the old edition better. Because change sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm not sure about the theme but will have to see when we hear more. Why the change from dystopian future? Hmmmm but still will check out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I like the old edition better. Because change sucks.

Well, either edition would be new for me! Also, I think I could support updated iconography for clarity, especially since I'm not attached to my copy of the game yet.

However, since I've opened the box, I have been kind of obsessed with looking at the different Plot Cards and dealing out fake setups with various numbers of players... hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Well, either edition would be new for me! Also, I think I could support updated iconography for clarity, especially since I'm not attached to my copy of the game yet.

However, since I've opened the box, I have been kind of obsessed with looking at the different Plot Cards and dealing out fake setups with various numbers of players... hehe.

I know that feeling, the first time that I acquired the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

I own two copies of the game, so I give you permission to own another as well.

After October, I'll likely own at least two more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

I own two copies of the game, so I give you permission to own another as well.

After October, I'll likely own at least two more copies.

What do you do with your extra copies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep one at work at my desk for my coworkers to borrow during lunch. I also own two copies of Werewolf for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense!

I don't think I could justify owning two copies just yet, but maybe soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a single copy. The box was destroyed by an oil spill. That was sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own just one set, but I've sleeved it out crazy style.

I'm not into the Arthurian move even though Im a huge King Arthur fan (and teach a whole unit on Arthur and Camelot). I really like the future and the dystopian theme because it suits spying and espionage and the general intrigue of the game.

But yeah, I'll buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:

I'm not into the Arthurian move even though Im a huge King Arthur fan (and teach a whole unit on Arthur and Camelot). I really like the future and the dystopian theme because it suits spying and espionage and the general intrigue of the game.

But yeah, I'll buy both.

You should check out Android: Netrunner if you haven't already.

I am probably more excited about this release than any other board/card game released recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Azgard12 wrote:
... I really like the future and the dystopian theme because it suits spying and espionage and the general intrigue of the game.

But yeah, I'll buy both.

Exactly. I dislike the change of setting but that's not going to stop me buying it.

It should add nicely to confusion of names that already circulate the table. People tend to start as a resistance, and someone will agree that 'yes, he's a villager' until someone else calls him out as mafia or werewolf and then that's corrected to spy and then someone confuses spies and resistance and the double talk takes off
kingjames01 wrote:

I am probably more excited about this release than any other board/card game released recently.

Yeah. I want to buy this but know I shouldn't

I DETEST collectibles and even the concept of a LCG gets my back up but it just keeps calling to me. 'I'm fun, I have history, look at my pretty art, I know you love Sci Fi, you don't have to buy them all, just a little starter box, it's not expensive, just to see if you like it, now just one more, ... '

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartfinlay wrote:

kingjames01 wrote:

Yeah. I want to buy this but know I shouldn't

I DETEST collectibles and even the concept of a LCG gets my back up but it just keeps calling to me. 'I'm fun, I have history, look at my pretty art, I know you love Sci Fi, you don't have to buy them all, just a little starter box, it's not expensive, just to see if you like it, now just one more, ... '

At this point, I've worked myself into such a frenzy over this game that there would have to be some really good reason for me to not pick this up as soon as I can find it.

The ruleset is great, the theme and setting is stellar (for me), the artwork is immersive and adds to the overall theme, the fact that I'm able to get in on the 'ground floor' means that I can be discovering strategies alongside everyone else rather than reading about them in posts years later, and on and on on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

But yeah, I'll buy both.

You're the sixth person to recommend it to me in four days. So, yeah, I'm looking into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just try to pick it up in the Steam sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I'll just try to pick it up in the Steam sale.

haha, well, that might be a while before we see something on Steam.

However, I have a little bit of a framework down for other programs that I've written that I could put together to make a crude A:NR game.

I don't have any time for that now but maybe I could work on it in my downtime. That would cut into my Resistance PBF time though, so I'd really have to want to do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder when (if?) this version will make it out to Australia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.