Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: How expansions affect the gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game recently and I like it a lot. I was thinking of getting expansions at some point (I know that 1, 2&3 are not available ATM), but I have a doubt whether the expsnsions bring new quality to the game. I know each expansion offers armies and scenarios, but that is more only in terms of quantity. What is new in terms of gaming experience? Are there new command cards, rules or anything else that modifies the gameplay? I'm also wondering which expansion brings camels, cataphracated camels and light bow infantry mentionad in the rules and which expansions bring scenarios that make use of roman war machines and roman elephants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay is not affected too much. There are some special unit rules, that's about it.

I believe the cataphracts and camels are mostly included in expansion #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cataphract horse and camel are in extension 4, which is available. There are camels in exp 1 but not armored. (the shock is that the Greeks/Mac have camel troops but the eastern army does not...until later.

Lightbow come in the base game. Many more are in exp 1. Are you asking about horse archers?

There are no new cards until you get to exp 5, epic, which some people like better than the one map game.

There are special rules for various units in each expansion. Most look small, but in the context of the game, they can be significant.

For me, I think gameplay is MUCH affected in the expansions. It's not so much new rules, but the makeup of the armies give them different personalities.

When exp 1 came, at first it seemed like the eastern army was terribly weaker. Then we realized its different composition required a different style of play...tweaks to the tactics. Barbarians are different in their own way, and even the three Roman armies have a different feel to them.

I've played more CCA than any other game in the past 10 years, but suspect if I had stuck to only the base game, even tho there are lots of scenarios you can play with it, I probably would have drifted away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
buy them all wherever you can find them, resistance is furtile, ebay, bgg marketplace, some forgotten shops at your town, from dark rituals etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin >> your opinion encourages me to at least try one expansion, so I guess I'll buy it when it gets reprinted.

Quote:
buy them all
I wish it were that simple, but expansions are expensive and cost almost as much as the base game. I'm facing a choice between buying expansions which "only" enhance a game and buying a different game. I guess I'd prefer to buy six different games instead of buying six expansions to one game, but as I said it is likely that I will try out at least first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion 5, the "reboot" of Epic gameplay, is the expansion that most changes the game. Depending upon how you feel about using proxies in place of the official game pieces, it is either essential to have expansions 1-4 (must have the blocks each scenario calls for) or not at all necessary (willing to use stand-in's).

To me, the Epic game play is a better play in all facets of the game, save quick play time. Still managable, usually around 60-90 minutes as opposed to 30-60 minutes, but well worth the extra length.

Easy for me to endorse the "get them all" calls - each expansion does bring a multitude of new scenarios, many with unique army formations and compositions, which does translate to variety in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried VASSAL? It is an option to 'test drive' some of the expansions before you buy (and is also not OOP as well).

You will find that the different armies and periods do handle differently. A hoplite army handles very differently to a Persian army, and different to a Successor army or Roman Army. Barbarians and later Roman armies add more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't enjoy Vassal - it's just not teh same as playing the game on the board Though it might be an option for testing the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.