Subject: US very strong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone
Italy
Assisi
flag msg tools
mb
My friends and I often play a labyrinth, and unfortunately we have noticed a profound disparity between the possibilities of jihadist victory and American victory.
In fact, the American operations produce better results and greater impact.
The player's efforts to build an Islamic government have been thwarted by the American player with a quick military intervention.
In reality this is not true.
Declaring war on a Muslim country and then declare another war on another Muslim country, and so on, comes harmful effects.
The military intervention in a hostile country has strong implications in the political world and also on public opinion.
So we evaluated and applied the following rule.
- First military invasion in a country with Islamic Law: as usual you roll for the Prestige.
- Second military invasion in a country with Islamic Law: The American Prestige is automatically bad - roll to see how much drops.
- Third military invasion in a country with Islamic Law: The American Prestige is automatically bad - roll to see how much drops.
In addition, 3 untested countries chosen by the jihadist player have posture opposed to U.S..
- Fourth military invasion in a country with Islamic Law: The American Prestige is automatically bad - roll to see how much drops.
In addition, 3 untested countries chosen by the jihadist player have a posture opposite to U.S..
In addition, Funding to 9.

Try and let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you withdrawing so quickly from a Regime Change country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
......and having so many countries go to Islamic Rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you guys might be missing a rule or a die roll modifier somewhere. I suggest you try arranging a game with an experienced Jihadist player.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most games I play only have a couple of regime changes at most. It is too much to do more than that, especially as it leaves the US open to some nasty events and drains resources. I am wondering if you are missing a rule somewhere....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I have to disagree in my experiences. We found it very hard to keep prestige high for the US...but even harder to get a country down to islamic rule. I have never seen an islamic resources victory. If anything it was fairly easy to be a jihadist and stay alive but hard to win in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games see 0-2 Regime Changes.

I'd lay money that they are either missing:

- Rule 7.3.5 requiring the US to be at Soft posture to Withdraw (is the US changing postures 6-8 times during these games?)

- or the Exception under Deploy Rule 7.3.1 "Troops may not Deploy from a Regime Change country (7.3.4.1) if it would leave fewer than five more troops there than cells"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
Assisi
flag msg tools
mb
Each adversary country is prone of Islamic Law

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
Assisi
flag msg tools
mb
Please, let me know how many times you win as jihadist player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This link has stats from a recently completed tournament

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/838332/labyrinth-2012-wbc-ev...

Balance this year was rather different than last year. Last year the US player won 29 of 44 games for a win rate of 65.9%. This year the story was different; the US won 22 of 43 games for a win rate of 51.1%. I attribute this to evolving Jihadist play that features a much more patient approach geared towards the idea that it is the US player who has to change the board by making countries advance to Good governance before game end

Note that Jihadist strategies have apparently evolved at this level of play. The results were a lot more even than last year.

Sometimes it isn't the game that's the problem, it is simply that players have not explored all of the possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
Assisi
flag msg tools
mb
I read...
"I attribute this to evolving Jihadist play that features a much more patient approach geared towards the idea that it is the US player who has to change the board by making countries advance to Good governance before game end."

Jihadist player plays on defense ?!?

Thanks Scrogdog for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pnnsnp wrote:
Jihadist player plays on defense ?!?

Strategic level games rarely feature combatants that are always attacking or always defending. In fact, I can't think of one at the moment.

Patience doesn't mean defense in my way of thinking. Instead, it means realizing that at the start of the game, the larger burden is on the US. That doesn't mean that the Jihadist player should just sit back, but it does mean not over extending yourself so that when opportunity arises, you can pounce on it.

I don't consider myself a tournament level player, but what I try to do as the Jihadist is to use my knowledge of the cards to prepare myself for certain situations. You want to be prepared for when certain cards are played such as one where you might obtain WMD. Certain events in Pakistan are very interesting.

Force the US player to respond to you. A single cell running unchecked through Europe can devastate the US politically especially if currently at a hard stance. Use plots to consume his or her 3 OPS cards. Doing a lot of little things can add up to a big pain in the neck for the US.

Given that the initial burden is on the US, keep the player busy. The US should feel like he or she has too much to do and not enough to do it with. It's on the Jihadist player to make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.