Jeremy Turner
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Quick question. In The Desecrated Tomb, Sir Alric Farrow carries The Duskblade, and the Heroes are trying to pry it from him and escape with it.

Does Sir Alric Farrow and or the Heroes get any benefits of the Relic while carrying it during the scenario? Or is it simple an objective to carry, and neither side gains it's benefits until the scenario is over?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think not. During the quest, it's just an objective to carry. It doesn't become a Relic that is owned by either the Heroes or Overlord until the resolution of the quest.

I would have to see the Quest Guide to be sure, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I believe the character holding the relic actually does get to use it. I'm pretty sure that the quest The Dawnblade works the same way for the second encounter, giving the weapon to whatever side won the first encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pehrson
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The quest guide states, "a master monster cannot wield the Duskblade, but as an action it may give the Duskblade to Sir Alric..." The exception here seems to prove the rule, i.e. that Sir Alric can wield the Duskblade. This would also imply that this is the only relic Alric can use during this quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cosgrove
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Agreed.

Sir Alric has possession of the Duskblade.

The Duskblade is a Relic.

Sir Alric is a Lieutenant.

Lieutenants may wield Relics they possess.

Therefore, Sir Alric may wield the Duskblade.

This is the default state and the questbook does nothing to explicitly remove it, so it's in effect.

This is invalid if FFG ever clarifies that the thing being carried in the quest ISN'T the Duskblade RELIC but is in fact a quest objective that just happens to be called 'Duskblade'. In which case... *facepalm*

Just my take on it...

- Omni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that was interesting. Just played the encounter with Alric actually using the relic - he did 10 damage on his first attack and frenzied 7-ish on his second, and had 5 pierce on both attacks. Heroes had absolutely no chance at all to stop him, and he killed the dragon in one turn (actually the second OL turn). Not very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johhak wrote:
Well, that was interesting. Just played the encounter with Alric actually using the relic - he did 10 damage on his first attack and frenzied 7-ish on his second, and had 5 pierce on both attacks. Heroes had absolutely no chance at all to stop him, and he killed the dragon in one turn (actually the second OL turn). Not very fun.

Which I figured would happen and thus treated the scenario as if the quest token represented the blade, but the blade would not be actually used. Still got the dragon down to 1hp before heroes snatched it from my corpse while I was recovering from a breath of fire ..

I'd say the quest was far more enjoyable in this manner.

I'm also sorry for making a double for this thread even after looking for similars and totally failed to see this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Posted this in Justin sez as well.

Rules Question

In "The Dawnblade" and "The Desecrated Tomb," when the quest book says that a hero or Sir Alric is carrying the Dawnblade/Duskblade, is that character actually wielding the item and allowed to use the abilities associated with the relic?

If this is the case, is Sir Alric allowed to have two relics in these quests? For example, could he begin the encounter with the Shield of Zorek's favor and then later pick up the Duskblade?

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
Hey Victor,

No, carrying the Dawn/Duskblade doesn't give you access to its Relic card abilities; it only functions as an item-objective within the confines of the quest. It also does not count toward Alric's relic limit.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.