United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the country is sport-obsessed at the moment:

Poll: Performance enhancing drugs in sport
Should performance enhancing drugs be allowed in sport?
Yes, under any circumstances
Yes, under certain circumstances
No
      99 answers
Poll created by col_w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
PSA: An [ S ] comment follows:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Only in Sport-Fucking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that votes no is delusional, and has never been an athlete beyond high school. The large majority of professional athletes have taken steroids in order to recover from injury faster. Happens, legally, all the time. It is quite simply standard procedure for a doctor to prescribe steroids in cases of injury for an athlete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
I say allow it in pro sports and prohibit it in amateur sports.

Same here... and same for enhancement surgery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I say allow it in pro sports and prohibit it in amateur sports.

My oldest son plays semi-pro football as an amateur (that is no pay and you buy your own pads) but has been on steroids for another medical condition for years. And there were at least 100 people at his last game. No doubt all were friends or family of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
Happens, legally, all the time. It is quite simply standard procedure for a doctor to prescribe steroids in cases of injury for an athlete.

Would that be considered 'performance enhancing'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Would that be considered 'performance enhancing'?

If they would not normally be prescribed for the same injury for the general population...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I think pro athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
PSA: An [ S ] comment follows:

Only in Sport-Fucking

George Carlin wrote:
The newest X-rated sport from California—rrrrROLLER FUCKING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Ogsponge wrote:
Anyone that votes no is delusional, and has never been an athlete beyond high school. The large majority of professional athletes have taken steroids in order to recover from injury faster. Happens, legally, all the time. It is quite simply standard procedure for a doctor to prescribe steroids in cases of injury for an athlete.

Corticosteroids are prescribed all the time legally for athletic injury, but aren't performance enhancing. Are anabolic steroids prescribed as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis FitzPatrick
United States
Yuma
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question has to do with the difference between professional athletes use of drugs Vs. recreational use.

Why do people view these differently? In a previous poll--"Is it ok for Americans to get high?" it seemed to lean toward the "its ok" side. Why is it that much more wrong for professional atheletes to use drugs to enhance their performances? After all, they're just doing it to themselves, it improves their ability to earn money (possibly) and the substances can be managed and controlled by professional doctors--Why the difference?

My view: both recreational and performance enhancing drugs can have harmful long term or short term side effects. While I consume alcohol, I don't abuse it or drink in order to get drunk. This is really the only experience with drugs, recreational or performance enhancing, I've had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:

I did not take the poll as talking about legitimate medical usages.

Heck, I took steroids for a week when I had a massive allergic reaction to something and was covered virtually head to toe with hives. I followed the prescription, the hives went away and that was the end of the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gearhead wrote:
My question has to do with the difference between professional athletes use of drugs Vs. recreational use.

Why do people view these differently? In a previous poll--"Is it ok for Americans to get high?" it seemed to lean toward the "its ok" side. Why is it that much more wrong for professional atheletes to use drugs to enhance their performances? After all, they're just doing it to themselves, it improves their ability to earn money (possibly) and the substances can be managed and controlled by professional doctors--Why the difference?

My view: both recreational and performance enhancing drugs can have harmful long term or short term side effects. While I consume alcohol, I don't abuse it or drink in order to get drunk. This is really the only experience with drugs, recreational or performance enhancing, I've had.

The difference is that if you use recreational drugs I personally think you're an idiot for doing so but as long as someone is not harming others etc. a person has a right to choose to be an idiot. By contrast, in sporting events, other people are involved. If one person uses drugs then everyone will have to in order to stay competitive. That is a form of de facto coercion to use drugs and that I oppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
a person has a right to choose to be an idiot.

I believe that's the RSP slogan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

Corticosteroids are prescribed all the time legally for athletic injury, but aren't performance enhancing. Are anabolic steroids prescribed as well?

Anabolic steroids are commonly prescribed for knees, shoulders, etc...

basically for severe joint injury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:

I don't see how those would help joint pain. Anabolic steroids have no inflammation reducing effects. What action are they supposed to provide to ease joint injury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Paul;

I like your contributions to RSP when you say something of substance but these kind of snide remarks, whether from you or someone else more known for them (and little else) here in RSP, just encourage the kind of obnoxious behavior which brings the level of discussion in RSP down while yet contributing nothing of substance. Even the humor tends to be more theoretical than actual.

I'm a firm believer that if someone is constantly told they're an idiot, no good or whatever, that they will come to believe it themselves. As a former math teacher, I've seen its effects all too often.

When you or someone else pops into RSP and just derides the place, that's the kind of behavior I think the mods should come down on most harshly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

I don't see how those would help joint pain. Anabolic steroids have no inflammation reducing effects. What action are they supposed to provide to ease joint injury?

Well I am not a doctor but my understanding is that the human body heals through blood flow, nutrition, circulation among other things. Anabolic steroids increase blood volume and water retention in both the muscles AND the joints, which are both key components in the healing process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Paul;

I like your contributions to RSP when you say something of substance but these kind of snide remarks, whether from you or someone else more known for them (and little else) here in RSP, just encourage the kind of obnoxious behavior which brings the level of discussion in RSP down while yet contributing nothing of substance. Even the humor tends to be more theoretical than actual.

I'm a firm believer that if someone is constantly told they're an idiot, no good or whatever, that they will come to believe it themselves. As a former math teacher, I've seen its effects all too often.

When you or someone else pops into RSP and just derides the place, that's the kind of behavior I think the mods should come down on most harshly.

I think you're reading it in the wrong light.

I meant it as in 'everyone disagrees with everyone else, and that's the way it is'. Which it pretty much is.

I actually thought it would be a great RSP microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
Anabolic steroids increase blood volume and water retention in both the muscles AND the joints, which are both key components in the healing process.

There are much safer alternatives for both of those that don't have the extreme side effects of anabolic steroids. It seems strange that only athletes would be getting anabolic steroids for joint injury, rather than everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume the drugs are medically safe. Why is it any different to better running shoes, swimming costumes with lower water resistance, access to better training facilities, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Assume the drugs are medically safe. Why is it any different to better running shoes, swimming costumes with lower water resistance, access to better training facilities, etc?

They aren't medically safe when used as performance enhancers.

Which is different then when they are used in smaller doses and for limited amounts of time to treat a specific injury.

FYI most of the sports have rules about equipment specifications so that you cannot get an advantage based solely upon money and/or advanced technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

The difference is that if you use recreational drugs I personally think you're an idiot for doing so but as long as someone is not harming others etc. a person has a right to choose to be an idiot. By contrast, in sporting events, other people are involved. If one person uses drugs then everyone will have to in order to stay competitive. That is a form of de facto coercion to use drugs and that I oppose.

You're right, an undetectable performance-enhancing drug (or genetic alteration) will be available one day. And when that happens all atheletes who want to remain competitive will have to dope.

And the same goes for society at large and is the larger question. When "success" in life is no longer dependent upon work-ethic or ambition or natural talents, will you encourage your children, grand children or great grand children to have the alterations to improve their chance at success? And that's not just directed at Moshe. Can anyone say that they would be against giving your future family the same advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
col_w wrote:

Those things are all strictly regulated and sometimes banned as well. You'll recall the swimming "supersuit" used in Beijing that was eventually banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
col_w wrote:

They aren't medically safe when used as performance enhancers.

Which is different then when they are used in smaller doses and for limited amounts of time to treat a specific injury.

Assume they are safe doses. The athlete takes it just in small doses for a short time before the big event. Any reason that it's 'wrong'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.