Strat-O-Matic Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: How Do The Experienced Users Manage Their Relief Pitching? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Internet, I suppose one could keep as detailed statistics as they like. I found when I first started playing that the pitchers couldn't get anybody out and I was running through the relief pitching every game. The result was that visions of hurlers appearing in 162 games began dancing through my head.

Is this a problem, or does it even out in the end? With a little experience under my belt, I do try to get as many complete games as possible or try to get that starter into the next inning beyond his endurance. When Volquez gives up five runs on three hits, with five walks in the first inning, this plan often goes awry.

Another thing I try is, since the cards are necessarily in a stack, I try to use the relievers in the order in which they appear in the stack. This isn't absolute, since a closer is going to come in, regardless or in the case of left/left and right/right match-ups.

One of the anomalies is that not every team has what can be termed a long relief man (three innings in his relief column), and since none of these teams can go four or five games without needing a long reliever, they would never start, anyway.

Do you play the way the game is set up; for example, using the 2011 cards to play the 2011 season, and the twenty-seven cards, plus the supplemental cards, don't make this an issue?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxwell Haus

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having JUST played 2 games under the advanced rules I think it's safe to say that it's best to play by situation- and I'm not against breaking away from traditional roles to end the inning as quickly as possible (e.g. The closer John Axford (MIL) be thrown into the 8th inning to try to squeak through the top of the order if the game is close to a 1 run margin).

It's all situational in the end. I try to keep using the cards with the sets they came with because it forces me to make the difficult choices a manager might have to make. If a pitcher is poorly matched, but I don't want to burn through relievers, I just grit my teeth and roll until he gets out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.