Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hall
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying I have not played any of the other Leader series games. I just wanted to pass on a few lessons learned the hard way through my trial and error.
Lesson #1
Make sure you have the proper Aircraft for your campaign year.
When I started buying aircraft for the Libya 1984 campaign I purchased the Longbow version of the AH-64. Luckily I caught it and went to get the older version only to find out the AH-64 didn't exist then. Holy crap guess we're going to rock some Cobras. Nobody said this would be easy

Lesson#2
Make sure to have at least one fast fixed wing pilot each mission
It is essential to have an aircraft that can clear the way for your other slower pilots. All aircraft are placed on the map then turn order is resolved in the following order: fast pilots, enemy fire, and finally slow pilots. If you cannot create an initial safe lane you may take damage before you even get to engage.

Lesson #3
Proper munitions choices
For every 1 SO point you receive 10 points of munitions. Make sure you buy a good mix of standoff (Missiles) and strike (bombs). First time I played I used a lot of the free TOW missiles. They are terrible against anything but trucks. So the next time I loaded up with all AGM 114s. I took out an Armor Battalion in 2 turns. Third time I did the same thing and got crushed. I rolled an 8 for enemy cover. All of the sudden all my targets could only be hit by Strike weapons. Lesson learned take a mixture of strike, and standoff. It can also pay off to take at least 1 AIM-9 missile to take care of any random helicopter pop ups.

Lesson #4
Use the correct elevation
This also ties into munitions choices. The GBU-16 and it's little brother the GBU-12 can be your best friends. The key thing about them is the ability to fire independent. This goes back to using the fast fix wing pilot (Helicopters can't carry them) to start. Place your aircraft at low altitude and in a position where it can pop up to high altitude and engage a target space with AGM 65s (they are almost an auto kill needing a 1 to hit) and throw a GBU at a target in another hex on the first turn. This should allow a safe bubble for your other slower aircraft not to get damaged by enemy fire before they even get to move. Priority is always air defense units and helicopters as these normally have the longest range.

I will try to post more as I get more games under by belt. I would like to encourage others to post their tips and hints as well. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I'm still new to the game, but I'm wondering what lessons you learned that take place during aircraft/pilot selection. How many SO points do I save? I spent like an hour just looking at the pilots and trying to decide what was gonna help the most. How many scouts are good? I'm thinking 2 or 3 (in case you lose one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skittles Sabot wrote:

Lesson #1
Make sure you have the proper Aircraft for your campaign year.
When I started buying aircraft for the Libya 1984 campaign I purchased the Longbow version of the AH-64. Luckily I caught it and went to get the older version only to find out the AH-64 didn't exist then. Holy crap guess we're going to rock some Cobras. Nobody said this would be easy

Amen, only 3 aircraft in the currect offerings are available for this!

F-16, Cobras, and the first Warthogs.

Good luck, I lost my ass on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If there are some ridges that block LOS to you, you can have slow aircraft be just as effective as fast ones, as the enemy will not ba able to shoot at you after you place. then when you move, make sure you come around that ridge and turn any threats into craters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.