Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules were awful. Not helped by the fact that the game owner/teacher was reading them for the first time as we "learned" the game. There were numerous moments where we simply had no idea what the rules intended.

I've looked over the improved online rules now and see we played a few things wrong. But I don't think the changes made any significant difference.

About 40 minutes into the game. Very little has happened, but some progress is being made. I have a "torso" back at the castle, Suzana has money for Medical Supplies, and Thomas is headed for a graveyard.

22 minutes later, and I am no further along than I was at that moment I describe above. Worse. Thomas made it to the graveyard, dug up a torso, then dug up another torso. Suzana, made it to the hospital, slowly slogged back to the castle, only at the last moment to lose the supplies in a vice shop. Somebody else has the protection card, and I barely have enough money. She's headed back to the hospital, and the doctor back to work. What is the fun part of this? Nothing. Thomas is digging his own grave in the hope that it will get him out of this game.

This experience might not have felt so dire if not for the fact that I'm playing a mind numbing dice-slog where I suddenly realize that it is possible that I could repeat the same trek, Groundhog Day style, forever, or, forego using both assistants separately, but rather put them together on one single task, thus doubling the amount of time I'm gonna be dice-crawling around this board. I see at least two more hours ahead of me, and I am already wanting to dig my own eyes out to stop playing this game.

And even then, I might have felt a little more sympathy, but then I came on bgg and saw the game's ratings, and the six 9's and 10's simply made me see red. If these people even played the game, even if they enjoyed it, even if they enjoyed it a lot, even if they are some of the game designer's closest friends, they do this game no favors by giving glowing reviews to this game. They do their friend, the game designer, no favors. Their one-shot shills may have sold a handful of copies, but in the end, they just make the rest of us dislike this game even more by attempting to con us with such great big Ham Hands.

I would rather have played LCR. I would even have rather played Nero. That's how much I really failed to enjoy this game.

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robmderrick wrote:
The rules were awful. Not helped by the fact that the game owner/teacher was reading them for the first time as we "learned" the game. There were numerous moments where we simply had no idea what the rules intended.

I've found having this happen can MASSIVELY affect people's views of a game. As soon as you have to start diving for a rulebook, people get frustrated and other little things become a much bigger issue.

It's really not clear to me why your game took double the expected time and I assume the rules had something to do with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.