Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Read the rules and though they seem simple I and not exactly sure how to interpret some of the rules.

1) Only the player who has the highest bid on the 1st(top) God has access to buy any mythological creatures??

2) The Cornucopias you receive from Apollo go to your hand and NOT to an island, right?

3) Is there a limit to the number of Priests you may have?

4) In a 2 player game, if you get outbid on one God you are not allowed to move your 2nd pillar there to outbid your opponent.

5) How long does a creature stay on the board? Rules say till your next turn, but what does that mean. Ex: If I pick up a mythological creature on the 1th God, but also win the 2nd God, I have to take the creature immediately off the board (exception being Kraken which stays out??)...because that is my next turn. Doesn't seem right to me.

6) Apollo gives you 4 coins if you have less than 4 islands. If you have more than 4 Islands you receive 1 coin for every island you own??

7) Can you use "Defensive" bonuses if you initiate the battle?

I'm sure I have more but these are the main ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
8) Despite the amount of Cornucopias, you can only use the bonuses it provides once. 2 Cornacpoias still = 1 sea bonus, 1 land bonus, 1 GP off mythological creature...and not 2 off

9) Can a priest be used repeated time in the offering round?? Say I have 2 priests. I use both to reduce the price of Zues from 4 to 2. Are those priests done for that turn or can I use them again in the same cycle to reduce the price of a 2nd offering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
10) Retreating is free. Doesn't require you to pay or have the powers of Ares or Poseidon to move.

Okay I'm done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crap, just thought of 1 more

When using Zeus to search for Mythological creatures, do you cycle them through the 3 spots (like normally) until you find the one you want, do you only search the unused creature pile, or only search the discarded creature pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
1) Only the player who has the highest bid on the 1st(top) God has access to buy any mythological creatures??

No. Each player can buy any available creatures during their action. So the top god player gets to buy first. If there are any left, then the second god player gets to buy any during his turn, etc.

Bhobs wrote:
2) The Cornucopias you receive from Apollo go to your hand and NOT to an island, right?

No, you must put them on an island.

Bhobs wrote:
3) Is there a limit to the number of Priests you may have?

No.

Bhobs wrote:
4) In a 2 player game, if you get outbid on one God you are not allowed to move your 2nd pillar there to outbid your opponent.

As long as you aren't immediately re-bidding on the same god, you can out-bid that player later with your other pillar.

Bhobs wrote:
5) How long does a creature stay on the board? Rules say till your next turn, but what does that mean. Ex: If I pick up a mythological creature on the 1th God, but also win the 2nd God, I have to take the creature immediately off the board (exception being Kraken which stays out??)...because that is my next turn. Doesn't seem right to me.

It's your next turn on the following round. From the FAQ:
In a 2-player game, they stay until the beginning of the player's first god actions on the next turn.

Bhobs wrote:
6) Apollo gives you 4 coins if you have less than 4 islands. If you have more than 4 Islands you receive 1 coin for every island you own??

Apollo give you 4 coins if you only have 1 island. If you have 2 or more islands, you only get 1 coin.

Bhobs wrote:
7) Can you use "Defensive" bonuses if you initiate the battle?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
8) Despite the amount of Cornucopias, you can only use the bonuses it provides once. 2 Cornacpoias still = 1 sea bonus, 1 land bonus, 1 GP off mythological creature...and not 2 off

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but you get 1 gold for every cornucopia you control. If you have an island with 3 cornucopias, you get 3 gold for that island.

Bhobs wrote:
9) Can a priest be used repeated time in the offering round?? Say I have 2 priests. I use both to reduce the price of Zues from 4 to 2. Are those priests done for that turn or can I use them again in the same cycle to reduce the price of a 2nd offering?

They don't get "used up" and can be used as many times as needed.
FAQ says one per offering:
A priest allows a player to save one coin on the sum of your offerings. In other words, one priest gives you a discount of 1 GP for one of your two offerings.

Bhobs wrote:
10) Retreating is free. Doesn't require you to pay or have the powers of Ares or Poseidon to move.

Correct.

Bhobs wrote:
When using Zeus to search for Mythological creatures, do you cycle them through the 3 spots (like normally) until you find the one you want, do you only search the unused creature pile, or only search the discarded creature pile?

None of those. You choose one of the existing creatures (there must be an available creature on the track), then you pay your 1 gold to replace that creature card with one off the top of the deck. You may repeat this as many times as you pay for it. Then you have to pay the cost for the creature if you want to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a few rules/phases/procedures are hanging you up.

-Note the difference between mythological creatures and the gods.

-The income phase = earn one GP for each cornucopia on the board under your control

-Priests give you discounts on what you pay to the gods (bids)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pewphead pewphead
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One comment on question 9, in the original rules you could use the same priest to reduce the cost of multiple god bids in a two player game. In a later errata I believe the designer changed the intent to be that a priest could only be used to reduce one bid. So if you had three priests and two bids, say three on zues and three on athena, you could reduce the zeus bid down to one and athena down to two. Of course if you had four priests you could reduce zeus to one and then athena to one but as always you have to play at least one gold per god won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
THANK YOU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Disgustipater wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

No. Each player can buy any available creatures during their action. So the top god player gets to buy first. If there are any left, then the second god player gets to buy any during his turn, etc.

One correction to this: anyone on Apollo cannot buy creatures, even if they are still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clarification on Zeus and mythological creatures:

Do you pay 1 GP to take a creature and another to replace creature = 2GP or do you pay 1 GP to both take and replace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Do you pay 1 GP to take a creature and another to replace creature = 2GP or do you pay 1 GP to both take and replace

Zeus' ability works like this:
You pay 1 GP to take an existing creature off the track and place it in the discard pile. You then take the top card off the deck and place it in the same slot. At this point you can either do that again (as many times as you can pay for) for another 1 GP each time you do it, or you can buy a creature like normal, at normal cost, so 2, 3, or 4 GP depending on which slot on the track it occupies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay. These haven't come up yet but if they do I want to be sure now.

So its permissible to I discard Chimera (if on the board) for 1 GP and then pick up any creature from the discard for free??

If I play Medusa I can still move to that island/ retreat from that island, just not my opponent(s), right?

Using Polyphemus, can you "push" someone into the Kraken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
So its permissible to I discard Chimera (if on the board) for 1 GP and then pick up any creature from the discard for free??

You buy the Chimera, you take whatever creature you want from the discard pile (for free, if it's what you mean: you already paid to buy the Chimera).

Quote:
If I play Medusa I can still move to that island/ retreat from that island, just not my opponent(s), right?

Yes, Medusa only blocks your opponent.

Quote:
Using Polyphemus, can you "push" someone into the Kraken?

If you want to destroy a ship, I think you can do it as a trick: the Kraken counts an obstacle so, when Polyphemus pushes away a ship, if there's no free field a ship can move into she is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your previous posts, I have a doubt this question of yours:

Bhobs wrote:

is linked to your previous question about Zeus' "replace" power.

If so, if you pay one coin to replace a creature card and the discarded creature is the Chimera, you only reshuffle both the discard and pile decks and then replace the discarded Chimera: you don't get any creature "for free" but you still have to pay (at least one coin, if you have any temple discount) in order to buy that creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
After reading your previous posts, I have a doubt this question of yours:

Bhobs wrote:

is linked to your previous question about Zeus' "replace" power.

If so, if you pay one coin to replace a creature card and the discarded creature is the Chimera, you only reshuffle both the discard and pile decks and then replace the discarded Chimera: you don't get any creature "for free" but you still have to pay (at least one coin, if you have any temple discount) in order to buy that creature.

Yes this is what I meant..Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

I don't think so. Medusa blocks any movement from an island, so if you attack it, you cannot retreat. Fight until the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Bombadillo wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

I don't think so. Medusa blocks any movement from an island, so if you attack it, you cannot retreat. Fight until the end!

You're right, it's my fault: I didn't notice the "retreat from island" part in the original question.

Medusa blocking any movement from an island is stated at number 16 of the Faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've got a question: After building a necropolis, do you only get gold pieces for KIA troops, or does that include fleets as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capn_tucker wrote:
Ok, I've got a question: After building a necropolis, do you only get gold pieces for KIA troops, or does that include fleets as well?

I think this question belongs to the Hades expansion: anyhow, it includes fleets as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
THANK YOU

As a new user you may not be aware of this, so I'll mention that the easy way to thank users who have helped you is to click the green thumb icon by their post (it will turn black once you've done so). Thumbs don't have any tangible value, but it's an easy way to show that you've seen and appreciated what was posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
capn_tucker wrote:

I think this question belongs to the Hades expansion: anyhow, it includes fleets as well.

Ok thanks. The rules kind of gave me the impression only dead regular troops generated the GP bonus..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.