Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I need some good wooden shelves for my games. Any recommendations out there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So I just moved and my new place doesn't have as much built-in storage space as my old place. I'm looking for some new shelves.

I'm thinking of using standard book shelves, about 11.5" (29.21cm) in depth. However I did not know if someone knew of a specific set of shelves they've purchased? One thing to note is that there is no Ikea near me. The closest one is either in Toronto or Pittsburgh.

While I would love to use some metal baker's shelves or something great like that, my wife doesn't want those types on shelves in the living room

So what can you find folks tell me? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, she probably will veto these as well:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Shelf-Shelving-Unit-Li...

But, after 35 years of storing my crap in shelves, these are the best value. No sagging or maintenance. If you can work a deal with her for space in an unseen area, these are a bargain. I have used them for 5+ years now. I even added a lazy susan for small card games.

Every wood shelf has been high dollar, sags with the weight, and needs to oiled periodically. Composites I've had sag, or in one's case, broke up into little pieces when it fell out of the moving van.

Don't drink and move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the EXPEDIT shelves from IKEA, which I highly recommend. I also don't have an IKEA near me (the closest being almost 3 hours away), but I waited until my sister went to Cinncinnati, and had her pick it up for me. If you don't need shelves right away, I would imagine you have friends/family members that will be traveling to Pittsburgh or Toronto eventually.

Unfortunately, I don't have any non-IKEA recommendations if you do need them right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Have you considered a little carpentry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to make an Ikea-based suggestion:

In their Billy range they have an 80x39x102 'bookshelf' that with added doors, would make a great games cupboard (or two). And they're really cheap.

Oh, also, you do realise Ikea deliver, don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Not for a reasonable price. When I looked into it, the shipping cost was significantly more than the cost of the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Not for a reasonable price. When I looked into it, the shipping cost was significantly more than the cost of the shelves.

Well, that of course comes down to how much you're ordering.

And you have to remember that if you buy from somewhere that has 'free delivery' you're effectively paying for the delivery in the unit prices.

So it's swings and roundabouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

This.

Once my collection gets to a point where it is required, I will build my own. It's easy and will look 100x better than any thing you could buy for less. This isn't building a table. Shelves are shit simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barron
msg tools
My brother works for a small, awesome company that makes custom furniture for geeks. You should check it out:

Geek Chic

Prices are going to be higher than Ikea, but you are getting real hardwood furniture, for a mid-range price.

Quote:
my wife doesn't want those types on shelves in the living room

That's one of the problems Geek Chic furniture is designed to solve: making functional gamer furniture, that looks good so that the wife/etc will like it too.

Their main products are dining room tables that have a drop-down play surface for gaming (so you can leave your game set up, cover it up, and use the table for eating). They also do sell a few other types of furniture though, including shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general_barron wrote:
My brother works for a small, awesome company that makes custom furniture for geeks. You should check it out:

Geek Chic

Prices are going to be higher than Ikea, but you are getting real hardwood furniture, for a mid-range price.

Quote:
my wife doesn't want those types on shelves in the living room

That's one of the problems Geek Chic furniture is designed to solve: making functional gamer furniture, that looks good so that the wife/etc will like it too.

Their main products are dining room tables that have a drop-down play surface for gaming (so you can leave your game set up, cover it up, and use the table for eating). They also do sell a few other types of furniture though, including shelves.

While that first shelf is beautiful, I'm not sure I would consider $7,850 mid-range...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend checking out some antique stores. You can find some cool and unique shelves to store games. I found this cool shelf (I think it is for wine), but it works great for my games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb

Sprout wrote:
I recommend checking out some antique stores. You can find some cool and unique shelves to store games. I found this cool shelf (I think it is for wine), but it works great for my games!

That one is pretty cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

This.

Once my collection gets to a point where it is required, I will build my own. It's easy and will look 100x better than any thing you could buy for less. This isn't building a table. Shelves are shit simple.

I opened this thread to say pretty much the same thing. Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to make some good looking, basic shelves. With a good finish or stain, even cheap lumber like yellow pine can look really, really good. Or you can paint it, of course. It's fairly easy to do basic staining and/or sealing, to. I'm sure you can learn all you need to know on YouTube, but if you ask around, you probably already have a friend who hobby builds. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barron
msg tools
Quote:
While that first shelf is beautiful, I'm not sure I would consider $7,850 mid-range...

Furniture is expensive, which is one of the reasons why I choose to be basically homeless (saves a lot of moolah).

I'd consider the above shelf to be more similar to an armoir than a bookshelf. I'd be curious to know what you consider low/mid/high range for hardwood furniture though. Compared to ikea / particle board furniture, I would think even low-end hardwood is going to look expensive. I don't really have experience in this area though (I've bought only a couple pieces of furniture in my life).

Agreed on the antiques idea though; you can always find bargains in 2nd hand stores. Craigslist is also the classic go-to for used furniture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
I have the EXPEDIT shelves from IKEA, which I highly recommend. I also don't have an IKEA near me (the closest being almost 3 hours away), but I waited until my sister went to Cinncinnati, and had her pick it up for me. If you don't need shelves right away, I would imagine you have friends/family members that will be traveling to Pittsburgh or Toronto eventually.

Unfortunately, I don't have any non-IKEA recommendations if you do need them right away.

I'll second the EXPEDIT recommendation. I have three of their biggest units and they fit boardgames perfectly. In fact the local FLGS uses them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Home Depot/Lowes. Put up something good, challenge yourself, and save money all in a go.

I know I'm pleased with my own game table and shelving I've built ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
clockwerk76 wrote:
. This isn't building a table. ______ are shit simple.

That's how every weekend starts out for me...

Shadrach wrote:
+1 for Home Depot/Lowes. Put up something good, challenge yourself, and save money all in a go.

I know I'm pleased with my own game table and shelving I've built ^^

Kill a Saturday you could have spent playing games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pdoherty wrote:
Khedron wrote:

I'll second the EXPEDIT recommendation. I have three of their biggest units and they fit boardgames perfectly. In fact the local FLGS uses them!

Expedits do have the ability to take out a slat, but in the perfect cube configuration you will never find yourself storing anything larger than a TTR box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
Build them yourself.

If you can write the letter H. Read a measuring tape and use drill, screwdriver, and calculator.

You have everything you need to make some shelves.

Custom sized however you like. Better quality and at at a fraction of the cost of what ikea will charge.

Buy some pine from home depot (unfinished) let them do the cuts. Get a pack of 1.5" wood screws. Drill a hole and screw 2 screws on each end of each shelf. Stain it any color your wife likes.

Your shelves will be great and if you take the time to choose unwarped (straight as an arrow) wood they will be fantastic.

This way you will save a of money, get a superior result and best of all you'll be a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Spydyr
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I built my own custom shelves with all compartments built to size to accommodate my BG collection and also my paint supplies as well. The thread is here for those that would like to see them:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13559705#13559705
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used these from Target. Screwed 5 together and then secured the whole set to the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
pdoherty wrote:
Khedron wrote:

Expedits do have the ability to take out a slat, but in the perfect cube configuration you will never find yourself storing anything larger than a TTR box.

They work great for my collection, including storing quite a few games larger than TtR. And mine are in the normal "cube" configuration. I think what you're missing is that you can put taller boxes on their sides as needed. Here they are:

Secondary/overflow games shelves (two EXPEDIT units here - only fully seeing the one on the left and part of the one on the right):

Primary games shelf (most-recently-played games):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
I was looking at 'Billys' shelves from argos, they are a bookcase that can by expanded. But Argos (I think you call it Sears) do the same thing for under half the price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
Khedron wrote:

+1 for Expedit. Great shelf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
Well, she probably will veto these as well:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Shelf-Shelving-Unit-Li...

But, after 35 years of storing my crap in shelves, these are the best value. No sagging or maintenance. If you can work a deal with her for space in an unseen area, these are a bargain. I have used them for 5+ years now. I even added a lazy susan for small card games.

Every wood shelf has been high dollar, sags with the weight, and needs to oiled periodically. Composites I've had sag, or in one's case, broke up into little pieces when it fell out of the moving van.

Don't drink and move.

This is what I currently have, and I'm shopping for a replacement. Why? Well, these sterilites are cheap no doubt, but they're not ideal for other reasons. First, the shelves are grilled, so bits that fall out of a box can fall through. That's a minor issue, but a bigger issue that it just isn't sufficiently compartmentalized. Everything just gets piled together in a heaping stack on each shelf. Then when I go for something that's got stuff on the side and around it, I either have unpile everything, or risk a Jenga-like disaster. Plus, the sides are open, providing another way for things to fall out during a sudden shift. Vertical storage is, of course, virtually out of the question. And yeah, they're ugly.

The Expedit's look good. Wish they came in a cherry finish, but shipping is the real killer. I gotta imagine some seller on Amazon is offering a similar product with Prime.

What would be most ideal IMO is a case with slanted shelves so that games slide right in and don't fall out, not unlike those you'll find in bookstores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.