Subject: question on retreat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart van Operen
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Southern player in our last night game, took his crack cavalry way up north to cause mayhem and destruction behind enemy lines, until -at the expense of 3 marches- the Union player (me) surrounded and attacked him at Harpers ferry. Confronted with an army both better equiped and singing songs their horses didn't like, the cavalry wanted to retreat even before te fighting started.

Baltimore seemed to be the only way out for the poor beasties and the brave lost and by this time very tired riders on their backs. According to my friend, the move to Baltimore was a legitimate one, because there was no army guarding the place and it was not an enemy recruitment centre because of the red shield with the number one next to the blue one.

According to me however it was just that and he should fight till the last horse. Baltimore was never conquered before, never saw a southener during the whole war. The color of the town was still blue and therefore still an union recruitment centre according to me.

At this point i ask my fellow geeks for a ruling. Can the cavalry legally retreat to baltimore or not?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have the rules at hand now but me thinks you're right. As I understand the rules all recruitment cities that are not yours, are by default enemy recruitment cities until conquered by you. Recruitment cities without shield in your color just stop being recruitment cities if you occupy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan is correct. If Baltimore had a Southern unit or control marker then the retreat would have been legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.