United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you host a board game night at your house/apartment/dwelling, do you feel the need to provide snacks/beverages? What if you're having new people over to join your group?

For me, I like to bake, so I normally will make something (cookies, cupcakes, etc). How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few people in our group who will occasionally host. Sometimes people provide most of the food, with guests bringing chips or veggie trays, and sometimes it's even more potluck than that. Other times we just order pizza, and people usually bring snacks. As long as it's stated in the invitation, I think either way is fine.

If we have the time, my husband and I usually provide the food, mostly because it allows us to make food that we would never make for just the two of us (like chicken wing dip, or I guess Buffalo wing dip, nonlocally )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I hosted on a regular basis I always provided soda & munchies. Now that I host very infrequently and some people drive a long way, I offer to make dinner for anyone who's interested. I love to cook and, like Meej said, it's an opportunity to cook things I normally wouldn't make just for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
I host a regular group, and I always serve a simple meal to start the evening. But it is a small group, so it's pretty easy.

My guests wanted to contribute to the food, so now everybody brings a little something (I coordinate so we don't have duplications or mismatches.)

Everyone understands that it's about the games, not the food. But the dinner allows us to relax, chat and catch up, so that when game time starts, we're ready for business.

Food is just fuel for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so long as the fuel does not get on the games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I have people over for some gaming I usually just let them drink some of my booze, they can feed their own fat asses.

But then again its mostly comprised of really close friends. If I had a group over with whom I was merely acquainted I would probably just order pizza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to cook, but too many picky eaters so now we do potluck and the host will do the main course like sandwiches or pizza. If it's really greasy stuff I ask people to eat between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I supply drinks and some snacks, and people bring their own snacks/bento/onigiri's. Then we choose what to eat for dinner (aka order in) if they wish to dine together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... um

Beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual gaming group consist of only four people, one being a couple so we rotate the hosting turns between the three places. Who ever is hosting, is providing snacks and cooking some sort of dinner later on. We usually play at least for 5 hours many times up till 9 hours so people are bound to get very hungry It's been working very well, even if there are quite a bit of restrictions on diets. And we noticed after a few months of playing that you really need to eat in order to be able to concentrate on the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadrach Anki
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't hosted a game night in several months (not at my house, at any rate; I've hauled games over to my parents' house several times for family game nights), but for the ones I have hosted I always tried to have some non-greasy munchies on hand. Sometimes I'll make something, other times it's stuff I've purchased. I also usually plan on making a pizza order that evening once everyone has arrived.

I used to buy soda as well, but since the bottles never got opened I stopped doing so. I don't typically drink the stuff so not having it never bothers me, and I do have water available.

Having food and drink available is just one of those proper things to do when you're having a party. How you do it may vary, but it's one of those elements of planning a gathering that needs consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmb
I like to host a pre-game dumpster dive. That way, everyone gets what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:
I like to host a pre-game dumpster dive. That way, everyone gets what they want.

....just what is a dumpster dive? [ too scared to google....]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrs MusedFable wrote:
When you host a board game night at your house/apartment/dwelling, do you feel the need to provide snacks/beverages? What if you're having new people over to join your group?

For me, I like to bake, so I normally will make something (cookies, cupcakes, etc). How about you?

Yes..doesn't have to be grand though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:

LOL I just got Punk'd by a Geek!!!

cheers mate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe does it mean you go to the dumpster and everyone scrounges for food?
Edit: doh beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

For me, board game nights are just an excuse to bake! It's become a tradition that I provide either a pudding or a snack now. We also always have crisps/biscuits (usually chocolate ones) lying around our games room, together with various drinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes snacks for a game night. We make them more for ourselves and then share if anyone else is hungry. We offer beverages too.

For game days we put out a spread of various snacks, an entree, and an assortment of beverages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention in my post above that I stopped providing beverages and instead tell people to bring their preference these days. It got too crazy trying to cater to different wants - caffeine or not? sugar or diet? alcohol? juice? coffee or cocoa? ......

Since I only ever drink water and occasionally iced tea at home, I can't count how many bottles of soda I bought and got stuck with while trying to anticipate what people would want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As host I provide drinks and a range of snacks from a cental store.
When it gets low we nominate some one to bring some more.

Main food wise we generally eat take aways and normally chips so we just do a round robin with one person paying each week, unless one person wants a lot extra. As host I often skip my turn to pay as I provide most of the snacks..

The other option is oven pizzas if we haven't time to wander down to the chip shop, although that time is good to get the next game set up and get the socializing and chatting done.

We don't have time or inclination to cater properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Schiller
New Zealand
Auckland
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone say Dumpster Dive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schil wrote:
Did someone say Dumpster Dive?

This is just plain awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
Providing food and drink is an absolute requirement. And chips/pretzels is just the start. I always provide lunch or dinner, depending on when we're doing it. Full bar of course.

Wargamers are used to iron rations, but we shower. Honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When we have people over to play games, I usually cook a full meal (the meal depends on time of day) and also provide snacks. There's more or less a continual array of food to go along with the games. I make tea and we usually have wine on hand and sparkling water. I also like to bake, so I typically also make a dessert.

If I'm feeling really creative the food is themed to go with some of the games I'd like to play, but usually it is something that is easy to prep ahead so that I don't spend my gaming time in the kitchen.

Hungry people get grumpy and argue over rules. Full, happy people enjoy the games they are playing and stay longer to play more games.

When we attend game nights as guests, I bring dessert or wine unless asked to bring something specific. And tea.

I've also found that when we have friends over to a dinner that is not billed as a game night, when you clear the table you can put a game down and everyone is happy to play. But maybe they are humoring me until I bring out the cake. Because if you serve cake first and then try to put out a game they say it is too late and they have to go home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.