Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
This past Sunday evening, I was home alone with six new games. None of them were solitaire, but I figured I could make Forbidden Island work as a solo game.

I played four rounds with four pawns and lost every. single. time.

For the first three games, I played on Skull Island. For the final game, I played on an island of my own creation.

In the first game, the first two treasure cards that came out were Waters Rise! cards. I shuffle the pile of six flooded cards and deal out three. Fool's Landing (the helicopter pad) immediately sank to the bottom of the ocean.

Undaunted, I played again, and one of my pawns was stranded (when the tiles connecting it to the rest of the island sank) and drowned before he could shore up his floating tile.

The third time, I did better but still couldn't save the two caves from submerging, making me unable to grab that treasure.

In the final game, despite two pawns being stranded, I was able to move all my pawns to Fool's Landing, then it sank. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I think the default island works best for one's first game, due to its compactness (no two tiles are further apart than 6 orthogonal moves) and ease of navigation (no holes means it takes a while longer for the sunken tiles to really hurt your mobility). Skull Island, while not nearly as murderous as Atoll of Decisions, is a little bit more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
I think the default island works best for one's first game, due to its compactness (no two tiles are further apart than 6 orthogonal moves) and ease of navigation (no holes means it takes a while longer for the sunken tiles to really hurt your mobility). Skull Island, while not nearly as murderous as Atoll of Decisions, is a little bit more challenging.

This wasn't my very first game; the game was merely knew to my collection. I had played about a week prior with two others and we won handily, so I didn't realize how difficult the game can actually be.

On my next plays, I'll stick to an easier island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.