Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought is to invite the various boardgame Meetups to use your cafe before it officially opens. You can see what games get played and become part of your local gaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You need some abstracts...

Basics

Chess
Backgammon and
Checkers

Some slightly different abstracts that are easy to learn ...

Quoridor
Pente

Something only found in your cafe..

Gounki (15 min)
Fanorona (15 min)
Entrapment (20 min)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These feel like very appropriate coffee shop games to me:

Got It! -- *every* time I play this in a coffee shop, kibitzers stop and want to join the game.

This one was already mentioned, I see:
Hive (and maybe Army of Frogs) -- bakelite pieces on a coffee shop table works so well!

Can't Stop -- push-your-luck dice game on a retro board seems like a natural coffee shop pairing [maybe it's more of a bar game, I haven't really tried]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I´ll be that guy shake

Case Bluearrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have some 'family favourites' to draw in the non-geeks to:

Monopoly (2 to 6 players, can take months to play a single game ).
Scrabble (2 to 4 players, approx 30mins to 1hour).
Cluedo.

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cluedo.

etc.
IMHO I would stay away from mainstream stuff like that. Pretty much everyone who would play such a game already has it back home.

Settlers is about the most popular game I would stock at a café. It's getting pretty widely distributed but not yet to the point where everyone and their dog has one.

I'd probably stock the usual gateway games and maybe even put them in a specially labeled shelf to guide newcomers to some suitable selections:
Catan
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Maybe you could even have your staff be able to explain those three games.

Beyond that you should probably get a wide range of mechanics and weight while tending towards short and medium length games (30'-90').

One thing I'd personally find interesting is if the box also said how long it takes to read the rules and set up the game because for some games that can be quite significant (7 Wonders plays very fast but explaining it takes ages).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The local board game cafe - which appears to be doing quite well - stocks:
Ticket to Ride (First play, 60 minutes. 2-4 players)
Scrabble (First play, 90 minutes. 2-4 players)
Catan (First play, 45 minutes. 2-4 players)
Dominion (First play, 60 minutes. 2-4 players)
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork (First play, 45 minutes. 2-4 players)
Carcassonne (First play, 30 minutes. 2-4 players)

And quite a few others. I would suggest any/all of the above. The common theme is that they are (almost) all easy to learn, they can all be played in under 90 minutes, usually under an hour, and (almost) none of them feature player elimination.

One other thing - make sure there are at least some tables big enough for 4-6 people to have a game at.

Edit: Oops, I may have misunderstood. Did you want suggestions for 'what should I have for sale' or 'what should I have for coffee shop customers to play'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some simple card games like No Thanks! and Gold!, and maybe you could incorporate game rules into menu holders to encourage people to try stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And, a Crokinole board or two, if you can run to it. Extremely simple rules, easy to play, and with very high "what's that?" value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the gateway games, consider a party game like Dixit: Odyssey.

I suspect that if gamers start coming, you won't really need to stock much, as they will bring their own if the environment is gamer friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cluedo.

etc.
IMHO I would stay away from mainstream stuff like that. Pretty much everyone who would play such a game already has it back home.

Pretty much everyone that drinks coffee has some at home too.
That doesn't stop Starbucks.

The point of having family favourites is that it's something familiar, some thing that might get non-game-geeks through the door, once they're their then you can offer them the skinny-choca-mocha-latte-with-anchovy-flavourings of the boardgames world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't put anything with more than 4 pages of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cluedo.

etc.

Pretty much everyone that drinks coffee has some at home too.
That doesn't stop Starbucks.

The point of having family favourites is that it's something familiar, some thing that might get non-game-geeks through the door, once they're their then you can offer them the skinny-choca-mocha-latte-with-anchovy-flavourings of the boardgames world.
I always thought people went to Starbucks for their crazy chemistry experiments that people don't have back home. Or for the cakes and other desert stuff...

You do have a point though in that it might scare off newcomers if they can't find anything that looks familiar. He is trying to run a business and scaring away customers is rarely a good idea. But you could keep the selection relatively small so if they are all on the tables you could still try to nudge a newcomer towards a more modern alternative... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quicker games:

Tsuro
No Thanks
For Sale
7 Wonders

Heck, throw in some dex games like TokTok, too.

I work in Columbus right now, so I have no doubts you'll be seeing me around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest 7 Wonders and Citadels. They're both pretty easy to learn, play fairly quickly, and can accommodate large numbers of people if necessary.

7 Wonders has more bits, but scales better. It also takes up a bit more table space, if that's an issue.

Citadels is probably easier to learn and has fewer bits, but the game gets longer the more people you have playing.

Still, both are good games and would be fun Cafe games.

Oh, and Cathedral is a really good two player game that would be perfect for a cafe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Citadels, and also note: Anything you have for play, make sure you have for sale. The 'conversion rate' (the amount of plays which turn into purchases) among friends my wife and I bring to the boardgame cafe is quite high, and it's led to a number of our purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:
Glad to hear we already have a customer! lol. I do wonder (sorry, pun not intended) if 7 Wonders can be taught relatively easily? It is still on my LONG list of to try games, so I haven't had the pleasure yet.
7 Wonders is not particularly difficult. I've had a wide range of player enjoy it. The problem with 7W is that it takes quite a while to explain with all the symbols and the way the cards are used and passed along, etc. Also 7 Wonders only is short if people actually play simultaneously... And yeah, a 7 player game requires an unbelievable amount of table space!

I would certainly stock an extensive collection of small card games like Bohnanza, The Great Dalmuti, 6 nimmt!, Wizard, The Resistance, Meuterer, The Castle of the Devil and probably lots of other that I'm forgetting right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something cooperative like Forbidden Island

or

something with colorful, pastel camels and palm trees like Through the Desert.

I'm not sure how games with lots of dice rolling (Yahtzee or Can't Stop for example) will affect other customers. Something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Dixit and 7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations!

A couple of thoughts, from my observations gleaned from visiting Snakes and Lattes (Toronto's Boardgame Cafe) on a semi-regular basis when I was in TO:

1. Party games are surprisingly popular with the non-'gamer' crowd. I suspect having a deep selection of these would be a worthwhile investment if you plan to attract the casual crowd.

2. While I haven't seen Monopoly or Clue played, I have seen both Risk and Guess Who table multiple times. Risk 2210 is a good variant to have on hand, IMhO.

3. +1 to Settlers, TT:R, and Seven Wonders. Dominion is another popular choice (something an individual Geek may not be willing to buy and store all the expansions for, but could/would like to play with others in the Cafe setting).

4. TransAmerica and TransEuropa are good light games that play well with 2 players on a cafe table. Ditto Kahuna and Roll Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need Ca$h 'n Gun$. Absolutely a must-have for any games cafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you want something for all levels and personalities of gamers.

Standards that everyone knows:
Checkers, Chess, Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk

Some light stuff, perhaps based on stuff everyone knows or can learn easily
Monopoly Deal (the card game), Flux, Apples to Apples, Taboo, We didn't playtest this at all

and meatier more fun/balanced longer games
7 Wonders, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan (regular is fine), Small World, Lords of Water Deep

Deep stuff
Puerto Rico, Power Grid, and more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Express for a new, quick twist on something recognisable

I've never seen Blokus NOT draw a crowd.

Ave Caesar

A set of dice and printouts for Reiner Knizia's Decathlon.

There's some free print and play cards for Button Men, you'll need a few sets of polyhedral dice. It's currently my most played iPhone app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
Quicker games:

Tsuro
No Thanks
For Sale
7 Wonders

Heck, throw in some dex games like TokTok, too.

I work in Columbus right now, so I have no doubts you'll be seeing me around.

Glad to hear we already have a customer! lol. I do wonder (sorry, pun not intended) if 7 Wonders can be taught relatively easily? It is still on my LONG list of to try games, so I haven't had the pleasure yet.

I'll be bringing my copy to GenCon, so if you'll be there, we can get a game in.

Where is the new place going to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost anything published by Fundex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.