Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schmidt
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I just got my story cubes today (basic and actions) and with the exception of demonstrating for my wife how they work, I've not really had the chance to "play" them yet, however my mind has been working on how to make them into a game.

Since they are meant to be used in a creative and fun way to tell stories, i didn't want to make it a game that would discourage players from telling stories, so here is my working idea for playing Rory's story cubes as a game. This is only a basic idea, i am happy to hear feedback.

Best with 3 to 6 players. The objective is for each player, in turn, to roll the dice and tell a story from them within a specific amount of time. (I'm not sure what that time would be yet, possibly 1 or 2 minutes. Players may agree on a time limit at the beginning of the game. Maybe players can bid how much time they can tell a story in?)

Each player starts the game with little round tokens (the number of which depends on the number of players and the number of rounds you want to play).Half of these tokens have a game cube symbol on them, and half have a crown symbol on them. Each player also has a cup. (It's best if each player has a different coloured cup, or has their name on the cup, perhaps on a piece of masking tape.

After a player tells her story, she passes her cup around. Each of the other! Players puts a token in her cup as it is passed around, either a cube token or a crown token. At the end of the game (x number of rounds) the player with the most crown tokens is declared the king or queen of the story tellers. So if you really liked the story the person told, AND they didn't go _over_ the time limit, you give them a crown token.

If you thought the story was just okay, and/or they went over the time limit, you give them a die token.

While a player is telling his story, if he is having difficulty he can spend crown tokens to increase his time. One crown token gets you an extra 30 second. Or he can spend a cube token to reroll one story cube.

Spent tokens are removed from the game.

Once the agreed upon number of rounds has gone by (maybe 2 or 3) players add up their crown tokens to see who is the new king or queen of the story tellers.

Just a rough idea, I'll have to think it through some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Sounds a bit like the rewarding phase in Frigiti.
Test it and report
FH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Liars dice, and Elder sign are my main inspiration into turning RSC into a game. In Elder Sign the faces of the die are objectives to beat and failure in a phase results in loosing a die to roll.

I agree as with above. Story telling is the main goal.

But it needs to be made so that story telling can be easier or more difficlt based on the number of die you have available and the type as well.

In this manner the story told can be determined to be good or bad based on requirements of story telling as indicated by the die.

A quick examination of the faces seem to indicate

Voyages = Nouns, times, places
Actions = well actions.
RSC = most generic and interperative.

Of these sets Actions seem to be the most specific as to what must be told. Followed next by 'voyages', which on surface seems to be nouns, places, and times. RSC seems to be the most interperative and flexible in definitions. So if flexibility in story telling equates to difficulty then the values of the dice sets would be

Actions = most specific
Voyages = mid range. Most often nouns.
RSC = Least specific. Almost Wildcards.

From this perspective actions and voyages would be the primary cubes used to create a difficult story telling adventure. RSC becomes the generic glue that allows it to become more flexible.

My concept begins as such.
Variant title: Round Robin With Scoring
Number of players: 3 - 4
Materials: Rorys Story Cubes, Voyages, Actions
Objective: To score the most points in one or two methods.
Score the most individual points
Score the most Game points (Collaboration)

Each player begins with 1 Voyage cube and 1 Action cube.
One RSC will be placed in the center 'pot'.
The rest of the cubes will be placed in seperate out of play piles and are only touched during 'judgement' at the end of each players turn.

The game takes the form of rounds. In each round each player has one turn to tell a story.

At the start of the round the dice in the center pot are rolled and stay face up during that round.

They do not get re-rolled untill the beginning of the next round. This is after everyone has one turn to play.

Then the first player rolls their own die and creates a story fragment using their own die roll and the face up die in the center pot.

A story fragment can be a sentence or more with no more than a paragraph or so of story told.

They signal that their story is over by either verbal or visual cue but NOT by covering or changeing how their dice rolled at the beginning of their turn. This is because of next part of the players turns.

At the end of their turn the other players will give two judgements to the story.

(The Tell Judgement) The first judgement is for the individual players ability to tell a tale.

For passing (not telling a story) or being unable to use all of the die faces the player recives one Action dice from the out of play die.

For telling a short or uninteresting sentence or story you recieve one Voyage die from the out of play die.

For telling an good story you recieve an RSC die from the out of play die.

(The Plot Judgement) The second Judgement is for how the players tale wove into everyone elses stories.

For telling a seperated story that continues your own tales seperate from everyone elses, you add a Voyage cube to the center pot, from the out of play Voyage die.
This is a neutral event. It doesnt really make the story telling easier or harder for anyone else. But it does add more story material for everyone to draw upon.

For telling an amazing story, especially one that continues the story of the last player or incorperates the seperated tales of another player , you receive an RSC die to your hand from the out of play RSC die.

For telling a horror or vulgar story you add an Action die to the center pot. From the out of play Action die.
This makes it more -difficult- for -everyone- to tell stories.

Once all the die have been exausted from one of the out of play pools then the player being judged gives up one of his own die to pay to the center pot.

Once all of the die have been exausted from ALL of the out of play die pools AND one of the players is down to one die. (The last die a player has never is given to the center pot) then the games final rounds begin. This signals the end of the game.

You have as many remaining rounds as you have players.
So if you have 3 players then you have 3 more rounds to play before the game is over.

Once the game is over then the game is scored according to how many of each kind of dice each player AND the center pot has.

RSC cubes = 10 pts each
Voyage cubes = 5 pts each
Action cubes = 1 pt each

In this way the story session can be Bad though the players had fun telling scary or vulgar stories.

Or it can be a good story session but difficult and challengeing for the players.

The balance between the groups efforts in a 'game' vs the players efforts in 'creativity' come out in this concept as the die and their values pass around from the center pot to the plaeyers and back again.

Concieved at midnight and formalized the next day.
--------------

I suspect utilizeing a trade element between the 3 locations would work better. (out of play pool) Center Pot & Individual player die.
(taps fingers)
Center pool. Less die in pool = more die in players hands. More die rolls for each player and more story change. More die in pool = less in players hands, and a much more restrictive story telling because it forces players to use similar material but differently.
Players hands. More die = more variables. Less die = less variables. you want more change to tell stories better. Bigger die in hand than on table. The more added to the pot, the harder it is to tell. (in theory)
The out of play pool = The count down timer for the game.
Ieee... Halp! my idea is half baked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls