Hide
5 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Packing in a smaller box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hepler
msg tools
I quite liked King of Tokyo when I got a chance to play it. I'm thinking about picking it up.

But, it's definitely a light game. A great starter game for a board game night. And that brings me to my problem. I thought the box and insert was way huge for what there is to the components. The game, at its core, is essentially a bag of counters, 8 dice, and some small flat components (main board of Tokyo, health/VP counter, character cards, power cards). But it's got a big honking box.

Has anyone attempted to fit this in a smaller box? I was hoping to maybe do something custom and fit it into something about as big as small box games like Death Angel or Condottiere. I know I'd get a lot more use out of it that way, as I already have several big heavy board games I bring to game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried, but it could fit it something quite a bit smaller if you didn't play with the Tokyo board, which really is superfluous.

I'm thinking it could fit in the 7 Wonders expansion box pretty easily, that's just what I happen to have on hand at the moment.

I think the Death Angel size is a little overly optimistic. The monster boards are actually pretty thick all together and the dice are chunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I removed the insert because I had too many promocards and the card slot was too small. Now I have everything baged and there's so much space into the box.

I decided to keep it anyway because the expansion #1 is comming at Essen, it will add 1 new monster and 56 new cards.

There's also more expansion coming in the future. So I think the big box might be useful in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I left out the board and the player pieces and brought it with me on a trip earlier this year. The board is really unnecessary and you can use your monster tracker sheet as your "piece," for when it's in Tokyo or not. Didn't really affect the game at all and everyone I played it with loved it and wanted to play several times. Granted, if I have the full box I'd use the board and player pieces, but for keeping everything compact for flying somewhere, that worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hepler
msg tools
Thanks for the advice guys. I bought the game as my local store (Miniature Market, love em) had it on sale for $30, which it's definitely worth. Already played like 4 games, as much fun as I remembered.

With the expansion coming out, and the box honestly not being quite as big as I remembered it, I think I'll hold off. The individual powers for monsters is the one element I'd like to see, so I'll certainly be grabbing the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.