Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Organizing the mage knight box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I bought this game back in May and FINALLY just got around to playing it, and it is a blast. But one problem I have is that the box inserts don't make for nice organization or super quick set up. I was thinking of making my own insert to keep the cards organized and player bits all together. Has anyone else made their own box insert to keep the parts neatly organized in the box? How's it work?

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
I've thrown out the insert for tokens in the middle and kept the others.

Put each knight's skill/shield/command/turn order tokens in a plastic bag and put them where cards used to be,

Put maps where they used to be,

Squeeze cards between insert for figures and maps,

Put figures where they used to be,

Put Enemy tokens, Crystals, Dices in a seperate bags and underneath the insert for figures,

Then put the boards and rule books on top.

This lay out lets me set up and play a game fairly quickly,
one thing you could do is put a divider between each type of cards so set up time goes down by that much,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Originally, I threw out the middle token insert. Then sleeved cards fit sideways... well, here, I crudely mspainted this image to match what I did:

Nowadays I have a small Plano for the site tokens, dice, and crystals -- so I've rid myself of both figure insert and city insert. Everything else is in little baggies. Except the cities, they just hang out amongst the bags. The figures really aren't that fragile, and I'm only taking the box from shelf to table.

The cards I've always just kept in big stacks, back-to-back by type of card. It only takes a moment to separate them out. I suppose that one day I'll get around to printing out a bunch of tuckboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Jester
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great print-and-make tuck boxes for each of the card decks available in the downloads section. I actually took out the character figures/city insert because it's poorest use of space in the box. Makes a perfect place to store the organized decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Vanhoff

Blacklick
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tossed out all of the original inserts. I use three standard plastic card storage boxes for all of the sleeved cards. The unsleeved cards (site descriptions, cities, etc.) are in a thin plastic snap case I got from the Container Store. (mmmmmmm container store... drooooool) The three card boxes and small case sideways fit perfectly at one end of the box. Then I got a larger 8 compartment container that's almost the width of the box. That's where I keep the cities (2 per compartment), mana crystals, and all character pieces including figurines. Each character has its own compartment. In the remaining space, I have two smaller 4 compartment cases stacked that hold all enemy tokens and mana dice. I put a large rubber band around the stack of map pieces and keep them in the remaining space with an extra divider from one of my camera cases to protect the edges. The fame and day/night boards and rule books lie on top. It all fits perfectly. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it tomorrow.

I have Talisman 2nd edition with all expansions (including Dragons) neatly packed in the original box, so I have expertise in this area. lol

(This is also my first post! Hi!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely threw away the insert and replaced it with some Sabol Foam, Deck-Boxes, and Plastic storage containers. Everything now sits nice and snug completely organized for easy access and setup. I can now setup up a game in roughly 7 mins! This was not a cheap but Mage Knight is my favorite game and hits the table quite often especially for some Solo Play so to me it was well worth the investment into protecting and better organizing all the bits.

I removed the bottom of the Sabol foam so I could place the score tracker and rules books underneath the game tiles while still making sure the box lid closed all the way.

This is great for playing with multiple people because it allows easy access to the mana crystal for all players. Seeing as this game setup takes a lot of table space is was hard to make the mana pile within reach of everyone.

This was possibly my best idea. I got tired of shuffling through the reference cards to find what I was looking for so I came up with this solution. This is simply a Clear Card Display page with the binder holes removed. It is bendable and allows for quick viewing of both sides of all the reference cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
I've thrown out the insert for tokens in the middle and kept the others.

Put each knight's skill/shield/command/turn order tokens in a plastic bag and put them where cards used to be,

Put maps where they used to be,

Squeeze cards between insert for figures and maps,

Put figures where they used to be,

Put Enemy tokens, Crystals, Dices in a seperate bags and underneath the insert for figures,

Then put the boards and rule books on top.

This lay out lets me set up and play a game fairly quickly,
one thing you could do is put a divider between each type of cards so set up time goes down by that much,

This is the same as what I do except that I put the starting decks for the characters along with the tokens in a bag and put these between the inserts. This way each character has one bag that contains everything they need except for the figure.

The rest of the cards just manage to fit in their normal spot when they're sleeved (though I must admit I removed some of the wound cards from the game).

I also put the mana dice and crystals in the same bag as I think sorting them is quicker than having to open two bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, there are lots of great ideas in here. I'm getting a good sense of what I want to do. I found a nice one on reddit which I'm thinking I might try to emulate using tuck boxes: http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/sxrjk/finally_fi...

I appreciate all the responses, and I'd love to see even more solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Tekar wrote:
This is the same as what I do except that I put the starting decks for the characters along with the tokens in a bag and put these between the inserts. This way each character has one bag that contains everything they need except for the figure.

You stole my idea. I like just dumping out two bags (for me and dummy player) and being ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
queenpenelope wrote:

I have Talisman 2nd edition with all expansions (including Dragons) neatly packed in the original box, so I have expertise in this area. lol

(This is also my first post! Hi!)

That's pretty impressive. And welcome - have something shiny for saying "hi."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
pbhammer wrote:
I completely threw away the insert and replaced it with some Sabol Foam, Deck-Boxes, and Plastic storage containers.

What is sabol foam and where can I get some? I figured out what I'm going to do but I could use a bit of foam to fill out my box. Also, this isn't completely related and may make a thread about this somewhere else later, but I sleeved all my cards and I was wondering if there is a difference between different kinds of card sleeves. I bought the cheapest I could find a while back, but they're slightly too wide and tall. It's not like a deal breaker or anything but if there are sleeves for this and Dominion which fit a bit more snug, with less of the card sliding around inside, that might be an interesting prospect.

Thanks again guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
gspeager wrote:
pbhammer wrote:
I completely threw away the insert and replaced it with some Sabol Foam, Deck-Boxes, and Plastic storage containers.

What is sabol foam and where can I get some? I figured out what I'm going to do but I could use a bit of foam to fill out my box. Also, this isn't completely related and may make a thread about this somewhere else later, but I sleeved all my cards and I was wondering if there is a difference between different kinds of card sleeves. I bought the cheapest I could find a while back, but they're slightly too wide and tall. It's not like a deal breaker or anything but if there are sleeves for this and Dominion which fit a bit more snug, with less of the card sliding around inside, that might be an interesting prospect.

Thanks again guys!

I'm using the FFG standard card game sleeves (the ones in the silver package), and I'm really happy with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I made some tuck boxes I found in the files section to keep the cards all organized. I used my crappy penny sleeves on the cards, but they're pretty crappy, so I ordered some KMC perfect fit sleeves to use with the cards.

I almost have my box completely organized, I'm just waiting on two plano boxes I had to order to organize the crystals and tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
pbhammer wrote:

This was possibly my best idea. I got tired of shuffling through the reference cards to find what I was looking for so I came up with this solution. This is simply a Clear Card Display page with the binder holes removed. It is bendable and allows for quick viewing of both sides of all the reference cards.

I really, really like this idea. I'm considering stealing it, but I'm not sure I can make it work in my box. Still really like it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the game on a borrowed copy till yesterday.
I finally bought it and I think I have bought another printing.
I don't know which is which
They're for sure 1st and 2nd.
They are not the same as they have... different inserts.
My copy is way worse.
It has holes for tokens and it is so hard to get them out of the box.
I cut the box and throw away this part
Healing 1
I healed my box

The other difference is that my copy has a lot darker cards, which I do not like. Thinking about buying expansion and I'm already scarred I will see difference.

Do you think Wizzkids will replace my cards?
And I noticed also that my Amotep Gunners tokens have a sticker.
It's not printed!

Now, as I know it I can see where are they when they are piled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawel, all of that sounds like the first batch of the first printing, where the amotep white counter was wrong and the cards were too dark. hopefully WK will replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.