Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the double post but I accidentally classified this is News when it is a Session...

The 2012 WBC Labyrinth tournament saw 34 players compete over a Friday Mulligan and Saturday elimination rounds for a total of 43 tense, exciting games. As in the previous year, the scenario used was “Let’s Roll” in a single deck configuration.

Game play was really tense and exciting. Among the remarkable things seen was a US win by eliminating every Jihadist cell – something I have never even heard of before. Also we saw a new duo rise to the heights of the event as Jessa Burdett came in new and not only knocked off last year’s champion Christopher Yaure but ultimately came in a CLOSE second to Patrick Neary. Patrick was a real gamer the whole event and pulled out a narrow win in crunch time in the final. Coming in third was Jessa’s husband Jeff Burdett so the Burdett’s were big players in Labyrinth this year.

Balance this year was rather different than last year. Last year the US player won 29 of 44 games for a win rate of 65.9%. This year the story was different; the US won 22 of 43 games for a win rate of 51.1%. I attribute this to evolving Jihadist play that features a much more patient approach geared towards the idea that it is the US player who has to change the board by making countries advance to Good governance before game end.

As always, events like this do not work without the players who also go above and beyond. And this year we had quite the honor roll. Roger Taylor not only taught other players but even sacrificed his own advancement by giving his opponent a takeback and pointing out to him the game winning play. Daniel Rauma helped in scouting for a new place to play when after round three we packed up and moved the event out of its Lampeter location due to outside factors. All of the players deserve a kudo for playing under those outside factors for three rounds. This year truly proved the adage that the players more than anything else make the tournament.

And last but by no means least, credit must go to Labyrinth designer Volko Ruhnke who again showed up and acted as a sort of “Yoda” for rules inquiries while at the same time showing off some intriguing new stuff. Having him there is a real treat.

Planning for the 2013 event will as always start soon and will be open to discussion and debate in the ConSimWorld Labyrinth discussion board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the tournament format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessa played an excellent game to crush me in round one. She began with regime change in Afghanistan. Shortly thereafter she blocked my WMD possibilities with Benazir Bhutto and CTR. With lots of good cards I got to 12 poor countries and USA prestige at 4, with three cards requiring prestige rolls in my hand. Jessa won all 3 rolls, the first for a gain of 6, and a 4th the next hand for good measure. After that, she used the +2 US prestige to bring Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Gulf States to good for 9 good resources to my 0 Islamist. I managed a couple of major jihads that could have turned it to 6-3, but failed my rolls.each time. Jessa closed it out with Egypt, for a 12-0 whitewash. Well played Jenna and grats for making the final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The event was Single Elimination with a Mulligan Round prior to the main event. Winning in the Mulligan earned a first round bye while losing did not eliminate you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how many rounds did it take to determine a victor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Single Elimination rounds plus the Mulligan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Good to have a dedicated crowd willing to play that many games. I ran a tournament at a local Con in April and had trouble getting people interested in multiple rounds. We played only one round and decided the tournament based on strength of victory as a tie-breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was only able to participate in the first round. I surprised myself by not only winning but winning in about 30 minutes in the first hand.

That's the equivalent of the poor Australian judo participant whose Olympics was over in 22 seconds! It was single elimination, correct? That's a quick tournament over and done with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Single Elimination is really the only wey to go in these type of 2 player games; the alternative is an event that lasts longer than most participants want to invest in the play of one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But no multiple decks for finals? That's what I interpreted the multiple deck options for, to reduce the luck of the draw when an important tournament win is on the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh also very interested in hearing more details about the patient Jihadist strategy. Has this been covered elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I suspect that means mainly countering US moves rather than concentrating cells for Major Jihad, in the recognition that a 0 - 0 finish is a Jihadist win. vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.