Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm also posting this in the Dixit Journey forums so everyone sees it.)

If you love Dixit like me, you were super pumped that Dixit Odyssey's tray had space for all of the cards and tokens. Then Dixit Journey came along and ruined everything!

While trying to consolidate the two games, I noticed that the space for the pegboards in the Odyssey tray looked pretty big, so I tried to get a Dixit card in there. They -almost- fit! So close!! Finally, tonight, it hit me to just "customize" the tray a little.

What I did was cut the edge of the tray completely off, like in the picture below.

I cut maybe a bit too much at the bottom of it, cutting a connection between the base of the tray and the space for the pegboards/cards, and I was also worried about sharp edges of the cuts scraping the cards, so I sealed the insert against the box with a small amount of duct tape (of course in retrospect maybe black tape would have looked nicer).

Now you can see that the cards fit fine:

I appreciate the extra rules for Odyssey, but we often play with the voting chits and with 6 players or less (people hate the peg boards). So I placed voting chits from Journey in the left empty tray, and fit the bunnies from Odyssey (because you might want 12 colors, and bunnies are much better than pawns!) along with the pegs in the right empty tray. However, that leaves the pegboards. It's an inelegant solution for this part but I simply placed 3 pegboards on top of each pile of Dixit cards, and they go over the top just a bit but fit reasonably well:

The other advantage is that this will hopefully keep the actual cards from sliding around when the game is stored vertically (which has been happening with my Odyssey box).

Now I simply covered the original 3 spaces with the game board from Journey (because the best thing about Journey is that scoring track WITH THE SCORING CLEARLY DISPLAYED):

And voila, it fits (albeit snugly)! A lot of extraneous components I had in there before (voting chits from Dixit 1, bunnies from Dixit 1, pawns from Journey, scoring track from Odyssey) no longer fit, but I suppose I could use them for print-and-play or prototypes or something, or they could be stored underneath the tray if you don't duct tape it to the box like I did.

This is my first "storage solution" post so let me know what you think - hopefully it helps someone else save some shelf space too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. I've been wondering what to do about it when Dixit 3 comes out. I've been sizing up the box and wondering where the cards would fit. I think we will wait for D3 instead of getting Journey. We really just want the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, a full sleeved Dixit 1+2+O+3 wont fit in Odyssey insert. I'm trying to do a homemade 6 divider to original box now.

Anyone have another idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got D3 for my wife's birthday a few weeks ago. I did as described and it worked perfectly. I did leave the outside of the insert intact though. Took some creative knife work, but it was OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I made something similar, but had to remove the insert because all my 4 decks are sleeved:

PS/ There is even Dixit Jinx at the top left of the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Binney
United Kingdom
skipton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i made my own solution for a dixit storeage solution. i've got all the cards from expansions except for the original dixit all in the odyssey box. i made myself an insert from foamboard. you'll see from the photos i'll post that all of these cards (sleeved) fit in with room to spare for original dixit and maybe another expansion on top of that. I'm hoping to swap for the voting tiles after i get dixit original too as i'm not a huge fan of the boards either. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we recently got the latest expansion, I've just discarded the insert and have started rubber banding the decks. Probably not ideal, but we don't play it often enough to wear them out. I might check out that Amazing Tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.