Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm also posting this in the Dixit Odyssey forums so everyone sees it.)

If you love Dixit like me, you were super pumped that Dixit Odyssey's tray had space for all of the cards and tokens. Then Dixit Journey came along and ruined everything!

While trying to consolidate the two games, I noticed that the space for the pegboards in the Odyssey tray looked pretty big, so I tried to get a Dixit card in there. They -almost- fit! So close!! Finally, tonight, it hit me to just "customize" the tray a little.

What I did was cut the edge of the tray completely off, like in the picture below.

I cut maybe a bit too much at the bottom of it, cutting a connection between the base of the tray and the space for the pegboards/cards, and I was also worried about sharp edges of the cuts scraping the cards, so I sealed the insert against the box with a small amount of duct tape (of course in retrospect maybe black tape would have looked nicer).

Now you can see that the cards fit fine:

I appreciate the extra rules for Odyssey, but we often play with the voting chits and with 6 players or less (people hate the peg boards). So I placed voting chits from Journey in the left empty tray, and fit the bunnies from Odyssey (because you might want 12 colors, and bunnies are much better than pawns!) along with the pegs in the right empty tray. However, that leaves the pegboards. It's an inelegant solution for this part but I simply placed 3 pegboards on top of each pile of Dixit cards, and they go over the top just a bit but fit reasonably well:

The other advantage is that this will hopefully keep the actual cards from sliding around when the game is stored vertically (which has been happening with my Odyssey box).

Now I simply covered the original 3 spaces with the game board from Journey (because the best thing about Journey is that scoring track WITH THE SCORING CLEARLY DISPLAYED):

And voila, it fits (albeit snugly)! A lot of extraneous components I had in there before (voting chits from Dixit 1, bunnies from Dixit 1, pawns from Journey, scoring track from Odyssey) no longer fit, but I suppose I could use them for print-and-play or prototypes or something, or they could be stored underneath the tray if you don't duct tape it to the box like I did.

This is my first "storage solution" post so let me know what you think - hopefully it helps someone else save some shelf space too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. If I pick up Journey, I would do the same. Just hope that there isn't going to be yet another Dixit expansion to ruin it all again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My BIG problem with the insert is that the cards don't fit very well once you sleeve them. UGH!
I like your solution though. Great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuzusdad wrote:
My BIG problem with the insert is that the cards don't fit very well once you sleeve them. UGH!
I like your solution though. Great idea!

Yes, I agree - I had sleeves and sold them to a friend, partially because of this, but also because I had the thin MayDay ones and they were very annoying to hold. If someone ever comes out with premium, nice sleeves for the game, I'll have to start all over again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the thin sleeves. But would rather them slide and stick then get sticky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your solution. It is to bad that Asmodee dropped the ball on the storage for this one after doing such a great job with journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The edition of journey I just bought had slots for four decks so I guess I am a little confused as to why this is nessesary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
took2long wrote:
The edition of journey I just bought had slots for four decks so I guess I am a little confused as to why this is nessesary

Did yours also have bunnies? There was a reprint of Journey with some updates. First edition had pawns, and the situation described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Dixit 1 and the insert has room for four decks. Also, rabbeeples.

Of course they're now releasing Dixit 4, so back to the drawing board for the completists....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, because of Journeys I have an extra set of the tokens and such, so I think I'll take one of the expansion boxes and make a small "portable" copy of the game. Toss in the tokens and a homebrew score track, and you can fit the entire game in that little box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.