David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I'm new to the game system, but I've heard good things about it. I am considering picking up AtB ver.1, SOS and POH. I know Atb ver. 2 is coming out shortly so I can pick up AtB ver. 1 pretty cheap. I see AtB version 2 rules are posted. Will I be able to use the AtB ver. 2 rules with the ver. 1 game and the updated AtB counters found in POH? Or should I just start with SOS and POH to start. Then pick up AtB ver. 2 when it's released? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Little confused in regards to the threads about different counter sets, rules, firefight booklets, etc. Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy AtB 1 and PoH and play with the newest rules set. However, Atb 2 is going to have some new "bonus" counters. I own AtB 1, SoS, and PoH and I plan on purchasing the second edition of AtB when it comes out just for the new counters. So I would recommend starting with SoS, see what you think and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought SoS at the beggining of the year hoping to see AtB v.2 soon and start playing with AtB v.2.

Now I'm thinking about selling SoS and never think about CoH series ever. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to hear this Carlos. What is the problem? The rules are not changing and you can use the SoS rules for AtB 1st Edition or 2nd Edition.

It is always difficult to make game series change decisions, especially when it comes to the graphics, etc. We are trying to be very reactive to the gaming community, which has shown us tremendous support and has sent many good ideas.

Our graphics capabilities have come a long way in the past 5 years and we are just keeping up with them. I honestly do not think that it can go much further with the new maps being published.

AtB 1st edition, plus the Price of Honour expansion make the games fully up to date. And I feel that Price of Honour includes some of the best firefights on the market. Lastly, we will be posting the AtB 2nd Edition online for free, so everyone can use these also.

So I hope that this alleviates some of your concerns.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
I am sorry to hear this Carlos. What is the problem? The rules are not changing and you can use the SoS rules for AtB 1st Edition or 2nd Edition.

It is always difficult to make game series change decisions, especially when it comes to the graphics, etc. We are trying to be very reactive to the gaming community, which has shown us tremendous support and has sent many good ideas.

Our graphics capabilities have come a long way in the past 5 years and we are just keeping up with them. I honestly do not think that it can go much further with the new maps being published.

AtB 1st edition, plus the Price of Honour expansion make the games fully up to date. And I feel that Price of Honour includes some of the best firefights on the market. Lastly, we will be posting the AtB 2nd Edition online for free, so everyone can use these also.

Uwe

Thanks for your response Uwe. For clarification purposes:

1.I am not sure I understand what you are referring to in regards to posting 2nd edition AtB online? I see the 2nd edition rules are there? Is there something else you're going to post?

2.If I understand correctly, some scenarios in your releases require units, maps, and such from previous releases to be fully playable. If I own AtB ver1, POH, and SOS, will I have what I need for future releases, or will those future releases be dependent on my owning AtB ver2?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I pulled the trigger on a second hand copy of rtb v1 poh and sos. Paid $60 for the lot with the marsh map. All stored in one box though but i still think it was a good deal. Look forward to trying out the new rules. I wont feel so bad now if i have to upgrade to ver2 but im hoping ver 1 works. Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a bargain! I paid a lot more than that. I hope you have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had any issues with compatibility from one expansion to the next. If you have SoS, then Price of Honor works very well with those scenarios. I would wait for AtB 2nd edition, and then you can play all the scenarios in PoH. The biggest rule changes occurred between AtB 1st edition and SoS but even those changes are marginal and really don't impact the compatibility between versions. I just ordered AtB 2nd edition just because of the solo scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, some scenarios in your releases require units, maps, and such from previous releases to be fully playable. If I own AtB ver1, POH, and SOS, will I have what I need for future releases, or will those future releases be dependent on my owning AtB ver2?

David, only Price of Honour, which is an expansion game. With it you can play 10 of its firefights if you own AtB and 10 if you own SoS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:

Uwe

Well, my problem is just one: timing.

When was CoH 2nd Edition announced? And when did the Pre-Order started?
And by that time, when was "predicted" to arrive at stores?
I was there at that time, just check the BGG posts and my questions about it. I was eager to get the 2nd Edition of CoH to fulfil my gaming on a genre of games that I don't have: wargames.
We are right now in the 8th month of a 12 months year, and the only thing we saw about this 2nd Edition was an online version of the rules. Lucky me I didn't Pre-Ordered the game because I'm from the Old Continent and I would rather work with my FLGS instead of dealing with direct imports, because if I did the Pre-Order I would have asked for my money months ago.

I'm afraid this 2nd Edition will be on the same spot of Guadalcanal and First Men In, just promisses...

Sorry if I may sound rude, but I think this is a great disrespect to your fans/buyers.
I've balanced my choice into CoH because of game mechanics, even working the fact that this game is scenario-sold instead of others that are theatre-sold; but waiting all this time, having an expansion promised in 2011 that was then declared to be on the streets on April 2012 and we can't even expect to see the 2nd Edition being done, that drives this same expansion even more into the abyss... it only motivates me into selling my copy of SoS and opt for other game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand Carlos. Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this might have been asked a lot around here, but I'm new to this game...

- Can I play ALL the scenarios that come with AtB v.1 if I use the rules for AtB v.2?
- Are any of the counters in v.1 different to the point of not working with v.2 of the rules?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play all of the ver 1 firefights with the ver 2 rules and counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:

Good, but can I play all the firefights using the counters from v. 1, or do I need the v. 2 counters?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmsa84 wrote:
uweeickert wrote:

Good, but can I play all the firefights using the counters from v. 1, or do I need the v. 2 counters?

Thanks,

You can still use v. 1 counters, although if you're using the latest rules, you will still need to read the v.1 rules on how to do combat when the colour you are attacking with doesn't match the defense colour (which isn't an issue with v. 2 counters.) Other than that, i twill play fine with the original counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.