The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Whatever happened to the 'expert' rules ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the *Stefan Feld presents the prototype of "Die Burgen von Burgund"* video here on BGG and wondered what happened to the expert rules he mentiones in it... For those that did not watch the video (or don't speak German ), he first explains the game, using his prototype, then mentiones the expert rules:
-One extra good is revealed per turn (6 instead of 5, more actions in a turn)
-One extra space to store tiles on your player board (4 instead of 3)
-Every space to store tiles comes with a marker, once you stored a tile on your board the marker is removed and the space can no longer be used to store another tile. You can use one of your actions to reset two markers (have the spaces available again for storage) and he mentioned that some buidlings could give you back markers as well...

Mr. Feld said in the video that (paraphrased) : 'This ads a nice layer to the game and presents more challenging decisions...'

Anyone know why the rules were dropped from the final game ?

Edit :
Well whatever happened to it, they got rid of it quite late...

This is the (according to comments form the picture) near final prototype they used in Essen 2010. Note the extra storage spot (covered up by a tile) and the extra 'dots' near the storage spots that hold the markers in the expert version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer often has additional stuff that he wants to add to his game, but the final say is the publisher's, in this case Stefan Brück (alea).

Since the rules demands new player boards, they were probably dumped in favor more versability for ordinary gamers (ie. more regular boards) - and it also leaves something to add for the next alea Treasure Chest for the 15th anniversary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expert rules have been published in the german magazin "Spielbox", you can find the rules right here on the geek. Not need to wait for a anniversary edition:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1128880/the-castles-of-burgun...

I don´t have tested these rules so far, but the don´t convince me, since they seem to make gameplay less flexible.

Best wishes
Flott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a small part of them! And they are only playable with the four new maps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flott wrote:
The expert rules have been published in the german magazin "Spielbox", you can find the rules right here on the geek. Not need to wait for a anniversary edition:

I don´t have tested these rules so far, but the don´t convince me, since they seem to make gameplay less flexible.

Best wishes
Flott

Thanks for posting this, but these rules are nothing like the ones that are discussed in the video... They also only work with the new player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
flott wrote:

Best wishes
Flott

Thanks for posting this, but these rules are nothing like the ones that are discussed in the video... They also only work with the new player boards.

Slightly off topic, when Spielbox includes something like "player boards" are they thicker than normal pages in the magazine? I have never seen the Spielbox magazine, but have thought of picking up an issue or two for the game expansions only, always balk, because of price (US) and clueless of what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're the same thickness as the original boards. They're slipped in between pages of the magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also 6 spaces for shipping goods on the prototype board instead of 4. How many actions did Stephen say there were for the expert rules?

It would be cool to see an "official" set of expert rules. It looks like it would be easy to implement the expert rules with the current game with the exception of not having the tiles to get markers back. Other than that, all that is needed are bits to use as markers and a way to mark your player mat to have extra spaces for estate tiles and shipping goods. My player mats are laminated, so I could simply use a Sharpie to mark the additional spaces.

EDIT: I looked at the shipping goods spaces a little more and now I see that it looks like there are 3 spaces for goods with a space for sold goods for each (total of 6 spaces). The published game has 3 spaces for shipping goods and 1 space for sold goods (total of 4 spaces). I am curious if the expert rules changed anything with the goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.