Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear with me here. I've never played the 1st ed, and as per my understanding, it is a campaign based game, spanning over several sessions to get through it.

My impression of that is that I need the same group of people to come back to game at every session (ala Risk Legacy) in order to fully enjoy it. Or are the mechanics flexible enough that a new comer can jump right in the middle of a campaign and a) start a character from scratch (increasing player count)? b) take over somebody's character?

Also do you absolutely have to start at the 1st quest and move in a linear progression? Or can you select a scenario and choose to tackle that instead (like a toolbox of scenario missions you can choose to play).

Thanks for the answers guys. Thinking about getting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the comparison to Risk Legacy is apt. The game is *best* when played by the same group throughout the campaign, but it's not *required*. I would think that Descent is even a bit more open to it than Risk Legacy, if only because there aren't a bunch of new rules you'll have to teach somebody jumping into a campaign halfway through like there is in Risk Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason why you couldn't bring in new people and create new characters (or take over an old one). Each character has a deck of skill cards that you get to add to your character as you level up; the new person would just have to pick some cards to get to the same "level" as everyone else, and maybe get something from the item shop.

All the same, I think this game would definitely be best played with the same people each time, as the outcome of the quests determines what happens in the second half of the campaign (see below).

As for the quests, some are labeled Act 1 while others are Act 2. The winners of the Act 1 quests (which can be done in any order, and I don't think you end up doing all of them...maybe 3/4 or 4/5) determine which Act 2 quests will be available. Hopefully that made sense -- I never played 1st edition Descent and am not very far into my own campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
The game is best with the same group but its not mandatory. My group is always subbing in a hero or two on any given night since we all have busy lives outside of gaming. Each character has an "owner", though, that chooses the skills and gear after a given quest, even if that person did not play that night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the game is best with the same group, but primarily for social reasons, not gameplay ones.

I will say that the players shouldn't be changing sides throughout a campaign. If someone's playing overlord, they can sit out and let someone else play overlord, but the person shouldn't be one of the regular hero players, and the overlord player shouldn't be switching to a hero.

The main gameplay issues that you'll run into with changing the group are only if you also change what or how many heroes there are. The heroes all share one item and gold "pool", and how much gold and how many items they can get varies depending on the number of heroes in a game. Dropping a hero mid-campaign means that there's now too many items for the heroes, and adding a new hero mid-campaign means that there's now not enough.

Changing which heroes there are isn't as big of a problem, but I suggest keeping one item pool that gets split up at the start of each quest, and heroes don't get to keep individual items; as long as you don't change the number of heroes, you can keep the party at the same power level and not have issues. I might suggest giving the overlord the same courtesy and letting him re-do his card purchases, however.

I would highly recommend starting a campaign with 4 heroes (with some players taking on the role of multiple heroes, if needed), and only using the same four heroes no matter which players are in the game. This keeps the gameplay working as smoothly as possible.

One final note, nothing in this game is permanently marked/changed/etc, like in Risk Legacy. If you want to simply start up a new campaign, all you have to do is write down all the cards each side had in the current one and sort everything out again, and when you start the old campaign up, just find the right cards and give them to the right people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we add "Threads asking whether you need to keep the same group of people throughout a campaign" to the drinking game?

Ah, what the hell...

*drink*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found your advice very helpful Kelly! Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We keep track of all characters seperately; skills, money, equipment ect.

When playing as a mixed group, players have to "draw down" skills and equipment to that of the lowest level player.

That's how we are doing it, so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.