Subject: Solo Playing Training Regiment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm ashamed at myself for wanting to get more BGs even though I still haven't played this game much. This must be fixed, since Thunderstone looks like so much fun.

Can anyone recommend me a training regiment to learn the game? Such as what colors and powers to use first? Stick with 4P or 1P? Reshuffle the village every time? Reshuffle the powers every time? Thanks.

I ask this because Ghost Stories greatly reminds me of Rogue-like video games. And supposedly the best way to learn those is always to try different characters so you don't become crippled with over specialization. But then again how do you learn the game if you don't survive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there is a regimen beyond simply playing and getting experience. Some people prefer playing the published solo rules with one taoist, and others prefer playing solo with all 4 as if it were a multi-player game. I think the solo rules make the game easier by 1 or 2 levels, depending on which monk you play. If you're worried about winning, blue with the double action is probably the easiest when using one monk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skygor wrote:
I'm ashamed at myself for wanting to get more BGs even though I still haven't played this game much. This must be fixed, since Thunderstone looks like so much fun.

Can anyone recommend me a training regiment to learn the game? Such as what colors and powers to use first? Stick with 4P or 1P? Reshuffle the village every time? Reshuffle the powers every time? Thanks.

I ask this because Ghost Stories greatly reminds me of Rogue-like video games. And supposedly the best way to learn those is always to try different characters so you don't become crippled with over specialization. But then again how do you learn the game if you don't survive?
I had access to an Ipad and the Ipad version of the game at one point, and was able to play many back-to-back games. 1p games will be a good set of "training wheels" since even though the rules now involve power tokens and Neutral boards, you do use 15 less Ghost cards, in the 1p game. Makes the game go MUCH faster in terms of actual time and game time.

For setup, what I ended up doing was using the Green Taoist to get +1 Tao Die and not have to roll curses per turn (although any other Taoist besides red should get the job done). Using Power Tokens to get the abilities you need in a pinch. Then I'd arrange the Prayer Circle to be in the center. While you're at the center, pick up the expended Power Tokens while you're there to respam neutral board powers. Unnecessary village tiles got shoved off to the corner, like the Cemetary, although they're not all that useless, so some you'd need to put in the corner anyways. Taoist Alter, Tea Shop, and Herbalist I put on the sides. Oh, and start at Initiate level difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.