Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I seem to hear great things about this game and really want to purchase it but I really can't get over the $40 price tag (amazon).

Its probably not proper etiquette to talk in this manner so I hope I'm not breaking any BBG rules, but what justifies such a high price tag for this game? It looks fun but I can't help looking at this game and think this should only be a $35 game max IMO.

I mean you can find Survive: Atlantis and Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, 7 Wonders, Power Grid, Smallworld, LNOE and much, much more for less (again, amazon). All these games can give you "hours of fun."

What gives??

Personally I think this game would make a KILLING if they simply sold it through big box stores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't judge a game price by the components.

Judge by the hours of fun.

Some companies can't pump out massive volumes to get great pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
I seem to hear great things about this game and really want to purchase it but I really can't get over the $40 price tag (amazon).

Its probably not proper etiquette to talk in this manner so I hope I'm not breaking any BBG rules, but what justifies such a high price tag for this game? It looks fun but I can't help looking at this game and think this should only be a $35 game max IMO.

I mean you can find Survive: Atlantis and Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill (plus much much more) for cheaper than this game (again, amazon).

What gives??

Your biggest problem is shopping on Amazon - you'll see odd prices there; good sometimes but often ridiculously high. I recommend Cool Stuff Inc and Boards & Bits, both of which will give you consistently great prices and service. Both are temporarily out of stock for King of Tokyo, but sell it for under $30 when they have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in stock at Fun Again for $34.99. Available for pre-order on Thought Hammer for $30.80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elocution Safari wrote:
Currently in stock at Fun Again for $34.99. Available for pre-order on Thought Hammer for $30.80.

Pre-order price at Boards & Bits is $28.60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

I mean you can find Survive: Atlantis and Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill (plus much much more) for cheaper than this game (again, amazon).

What gives??

Your biggest problem is shopping on Amazon - you'll see odd prices there; good sometimes but often ridiculously high. I recommend Cool Stuff Inc and Boards & Bits, both of which will give you consistently great prices and service. Both are temporarily out of stock for King of Tokyo, but sell it for under $30 when they have it.

Original price looks right here, but you don't get free shipping. So its still at around $40. I am not willing to spend $100-120 to get it for that price. It just seems very steep for a game as simple as this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was worth it. The quality of the components is great. The artwork is amazing and it has some of the chunkiest engraved dice you will ever find. More importantly, it is dam fun for many types of players and will get allot of play.

Part of it is also supply and demand. It is a game that is on it's second print run and has sold out at the distribution level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few games that sell for under $40 these days, and while you might find King of Tokyo for under $40 I guarantee it won't be much more under that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:

IMO, it'd still be worth the money at $50. It's loads of fun, and I've not found anyone yet who didn't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Undoubtedly one of the most fun games I have played. I probably have gotten at least $100+ worth of enjoyment out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Original price looks right here, but you don't get free shipping. So its still at around $40. I am not willing to spend $100-120 to get it for that price. It just seems very steep for a game as simple as this.

It is simple, and (I'm going against the grain here) I did not find the game very fun or engaging.The couple of time I got it to the table I (and the other players at the table) were pretty much waiting for the game to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:

Whether you want to buy at the sites I recommended or not, you can see that they sell King of Tokyo for a dollar or two higher than Survive! 30th Anniversary, and for several dollars less than Betrayal at House on the Hill. That answers your original question about why King of Tokyo is more expensive - it's due to wonky pricing at Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

Whether you want to buy at the sites I recommended or not, you can see that they sell King of Tokyo for a dollar or two higher than Survive! 30th Anniversary, and for several dollars less than Betrayal at House on the Hill. That answers your original question about why King of Tokyo is more expensive - it's due to wonky pricing at Amazon.

Well what I actually think is going on in this example is that Amazon is basically charging full price to offset their shipping costs where as the other site are selling it cheaper but still having the consumer pay shipping to offset their costs. Both are using different strategies to accomplish the same goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supply and Demand!

I purchased it for $35 off of Amazon three weeks ago and got free shipping due to Prime. Well worth the $40 price tag they have it going for now IMO. Sure I would have preferred the $28 price from CSI but I didn't want to wait for the restock. Hence the supply and demand comment.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are they doing anything different in the 2nd print. Maybe including Miniatures instead of cutouts. Miniatures would definitely make this an autobuy, but money is tight...

I'm a sucker for components (is there a badge for that??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Miniatures would definitely make this an autobuy, but money is tight...

You'd never have a $40 price point if it included minis.

EDIT: Second printing upgraded the dice - the icons are now engraved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
i hope it's such a high price (you can't dispute the price is high for 70 cards and half a dozen dice) because garfield is getting paid from this rather than paying for the oversized box this game comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ok with 35 dollars are 5 more that much to care about? =P

Unique art on each card?

There's always the possibility to vote with ones wallet. Doesn't make much sense when it's something one actually prefer over something (possibly for the same price but with more or better components) else though

If you don't think the price is acceptable argue that the rating was too low anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
If you are ok with 35 dollars are 5 more that much to care about? =P

Unique art on each card?

There's always the possibility to vote with ones wallet. Doesn't make much sense when it's something one actually prefer over something (possibly for the same price but with more or better components) else though

If you don't think the price is acceptable argue that the rating was too low anyway

Including minis is kinda my point though. With them it would seem like it would cost $60 which again I think is too high. I purchased Cyclades for $42, LNOE for $40. I believe that is fair price. Doesn't every game have unique card art??

My only concern is not with us here at BBG, but the general customer. This is NOT a "hobbiest" game. Yet it seems that exactly who they are trying to market too. The theme is probably the most marketable theme I have ever seen, and belongs on every store shelf, yet at $40 for a general consumer who isn't privy to BBG or the knowledge provided here will be turned off.

My gripe is that I can see this game taking off and becoming the next great game, but I can't forsee a non-hobbiest taking the plunge here when so many other games can be had at this price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
Don't judge a game price by the components.

Judge by the hours of fun.

This.

Considering components only it is overpriced. Viewed holistically it is good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
I purchased Cyclades for $42, LNOE for $40. I believe that is fair price.

You may have bought them for those prices, but Cyclades has a $59.95 MSRP. LNOE is priced at $49.95.

As others have pointed out, you can get KoT online for less than $40. But your comparisons are apples and oranges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is just plain good stupid fun. It has become the most demanded filler game for my group's game nights. It was worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Bhobs wrote:
I purchased Cyclades for $42, LNOE for $40. I believe that is fair price.

You may have bought them for those prices, but Cyclades has a $59.95 MSRP. LNOE is priced at $49.95.

As others have pointed out, you can get KoT online for less than $40. But your comparisons are apples and oranges.
The cheaper prices for Cyclades and LNOE are definitely not fair. They're a bargain.

With the amount of game you get from both, the fair price is their MSRP. You got a deal with those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
My gripe is that I can see this game taking off and becoming the next great game, but I can't forsee a non-hobbiest taking the plunge here when so many other games can be had at this price point.

The problem, though, is that most non-gamers won't see this as an "adult" game. Most adult games are party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, sticker shock. First time visiting BGG?

Look, value is totally relative to whatever else you have going on in your own head.

I recently asked a similar question about Catacombs: Dark Passageways. The list price, which is what the local shop charges, is $10 for a mere 18 cards encased in shrink wrap. The price just felt wrong to me and that was entirely because I couldn't get beyond the lack of physical stuff. Shortly thereafter I purchased it online for $6.50 as part of a larger order that qualified for free shipping. Now that I have it, well, I am glad that I saved the $3.50 (love the game, but the jury in my head is still out with regard to the expansion).

Contrast that with the following: I have pre-ordered every faction (each essentially an expansion) for Summoner Wars direct from the publisher, at list price, and willingly paid shipping on top. Once again, the cost is about $10 for a deck with a mere 32 cards. Plus several dollars more for shipping. In this case, the purchase is totally worth it to me. I love the game and I will happily open my wallet the moment the opportunity presents itself.

So, where was I going with this?

Oh, yeah. The value is up to you. If components tremendously outweigh gameplay in your mind, then King of Tokyo might be a let down. Just hunt through the thousands of photos posted to BGG and buy whatever looks to have the best bits. With all the pictures here you never have to make a risky game purchase. If that is what makes you happy, go for it! [And I am not being facetious. A box full of cool bits can provide a lot of initial satisfaction. Heck, for $8, the copy of Hey, That's My Fish! was way more fun to open than that Catacombs expansion.]

On the other hand, if you were to buy King of Tokyo, despite its perceived flaws, and then found yourself playing the game all the time, then maybe it will have been worth the price despite the components? For my $30-$40, KoT turned out to be a great buy. Is it the best game ever? No. But it is fun, easy to teach and a better use of $40 than taking my kids to see the latest animated dreck in the theater. KoT is in constant rotation at our house and has easily been played a hundred times by me, my guests, my kids, their friends, etc.

Ultimately, for me, the cost per game will easily drop to pennies. I think that is good value!

[...of course that means the top-rated games that sit unplayed on my shelf for months or years have no value. Take that Agricola! Boom!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.