Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
So is this just a retheme of resistance or are there any different mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merlin at least is different, if you saw the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there will be some variants that were being considered for a Resistance expansion but now will be a part of this stand-alone game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm, sounds interesting. I've been waiting for an expansion for Resistance because it's one of our most played games so I'll be looking forward to this. I wonder how far along it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:
Hmm, sounds interesting. I've been waiting for an expansion for Resistance because it's one of our most played games so I'll be looking forward to this. I wonder how far along it is

I think it has been testing for a long time and is pretty much done.
Release Date: Oct 16, 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apparently they can be integrated together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Yup. It reads exactly like Werewolf. With missions.

I'll probably pass if that's the case. I liked Resistance because it was different from Werewolf.
It's not really like Werewolf. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

Do tell whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a Resistance variant that I'll let Travis or Don explain. We'll also run a PBF of it after it's formally announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
lfisher wrote:

I'll probably pass if that's the case. I liked Resistance because it was different from Werewolf.

Well okay there's no player elimination I'm guessing.

But you still have a seer- pardon, Merlin, who knows who the were- err... traitors are, but can't reveal too much because he can be eliminated or... something along those lines, screwing the humans, pardon me, screwing Arthur's court.

So aside from "werewolf with missions" (and I'm assuming missions, the pitch says *nothing* about missions) I'm not seeing the difference. Perhaps the pitch is just too vague. Going purely off of the pitch, it's themed Werewolf.

You have to understand how reading that description says "werewolf clone", even if you're familiar with the original Resistance.

I'd image it plays almost exactly like The Resistance, but now the spy's have something they are not certain about.

I'm sure there is some way for the spy's to accuse/capture merlin, resulting in a spy victory.

(The only similarity to werewolf is that now the resistance members can be more than just a regular member.)

I'm excited to hear more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Well okay there's no player elimination I'm guessing.

But you still have a seer- pardon, Merlin, who knows who the were- err... traitors are, but can't reveal too much because he can be eliminated or... something along those lines, screwing the humans, pardon me, screwing Arthur's court.

So aside from "werewolf with missions" (and I'm assuming missions, the pitch says *nothing* about missions) I'm not seeing the difference. Perhaps the pitch is just too vague. Going purely off of the pitch, it's themed Werewolf.

You have to understand how reading that description says "werewolf clone", even if you're familiar with the original Resistance.
It plays far more similar to Resistance than it does to Werewolf. It has no player elimination. You go on missions. There's just a few new special roles. It works and I'll likely never play the regular version again.

And also in playtesting I've found it tilts the game towards the spies at 5-7 and the Resistance at 8-10. It also gets rid of the Plotcards in favor of a really cool Plotcards-like mechanism that doesn't add much to the playtime.

When it says the two sets can be combined I have no idea what that means, so we'll have to wait for clarification on that. I don't like the game at more than 7 anyway, so it'll be of little use there to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to mention that saying that is makes it slightly more like werewolf is actually a selling point to a lot of us.

I love Werewolf because of the vast replayability and huge amount of role combinations. Having more roles is GREAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Werewolf require one person to sit out as the moderator too? That's a sucky feature I'm glad is eliminated in The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
matthulgan wrote:
Doesn't Werewolf require one person to sit out as the moderator too? That's a sucky feature I'm glad is eliminated in The Resistance.

Only in the same sense that D&D requires one player to sit out as the GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthulgan wrote:

There are ways to play Werewolf without a moderator (until someone dies after Day 1). The Resistance has the need for a moderator removed from the game by the way the game is constructed, but don't forget that somebody needs to coordinate the Spies' initial knowledge of their fellow Spies. That player, for lack of a better term, is an interim "moderator."

Both are amazing hidden role games that share many similarities, much like Shadows Over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica, Saboteur, Are You the Traitor?, Shadow Hunters, etc. share the same mechanics. I'd strongly suggest trying them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
matthulgan wrote:

Some of us prefer to GM/moderate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in five plays of this last week, and I can confirm: It is not a Werewolf clone. It is more like The Resistance: Enhanced.

And it is GREAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorrin wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
matthulgan wrote:

You don't like to play? Why not?

I like playing and modding, but modding only to help me spot tells for when I'm later playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
richardolen2 wrote:
Got in five plays of this last week, and I can confirm: It is not a Werewolf clone. It is more like The Resistance: Enhanced.

And it is GREAT.
Did your group hit upon the counterintuitive strategy of passing every mission if you're a spy? That's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
dcorrin wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
matthulgan wrote:

You don't like to play? Why not?

I like playing and modding, but modding only to help me spot tells for when I'm later playing.

In WW theres so much variation available that it's a lot of fun to design a game and then set the players loose on it and see how what you designed works. If you were modding simple p5's, p9's, or p11's all the time with no innovation or interesting roles than yes, playing is more fun. But if you like to innovate modding can be extremely satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance + Werewolf Roles Must Equal Awesomeness!

I always loved the roles in Werewolf, it adds a lot of flavour, but the eliminations to me is what made me switch to Resistance. This seems like a perfect match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group would rather play werewolf over resistance any day. So if it is more like werewolf then maybe I can play this more often!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.