Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Preview: Fire the Ion Cannon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this was posted in another thread, but people are going o be expecting a thread about it anyway:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3470

Quick thoughts.

The cannon is a turret, woo hoo! I just wish there was iconography for it instead of just specifying that it it can fire outside your arc. The effect is interesting, I especially like that it makes the move straight 1 a normal/white maneuver instead of a easy/green that seems to be on all the ships.

Reference card, Interesting I wonder if the rules are even in the main rule book.

Looks like we've got Gold Squadron, Gray Squadron and one other Unique pilot. We also have our first generic Astromech.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"long after it was scheduled to be phased out, its speed, durability, and weapon options helped it remain a staple of the Rebel fleet."
It's speed? It's prety much the slowest fighter around? Atleast it was back in the days when I played the X-wing games on the PC.

Any way, looks awsome. Still I realy hope for a B-wing expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping for a Death Star Turret myself!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
From the other thread:

Ion Cannons are interesting. Kind of a shame they can't be used by higher skilled pilots to stop a lower skilled pilot from shooting. Also a bit surprised they don't have any unique interactions with shields. All in all a useful ability though, and definitely a unique mechanic that makes the Y-Wing an interesting game piece.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSol wrote:
Also a bit surprised they don't have any unique interactions with shields.


Agreed. It would be nice if the Combat Phase effect was "ignore all shield tokens"

Although to an extent it does ignore the shields. Damage to shields is handled by removing shield tokens. Damage cards go only against the hull value, so the fact that a successful hit always provides one damage regardless of any shield tokens on the ship this actually might be more powerful than initially thought.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the biggest threat is forcing your opponent to carry on in a straight line, that could be disastorous as your enemies will know where you are going to be and what way you will be facing and can gang up on you accordingly.

it is a shame not all y wings can have the ion cannon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any Imperial fighters even have shields?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the TIE-Advanced has shields.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
it is a shame not all y wings can have the ion cannon


Where did you read that? If you bought four Y-Wings you would get four ion cannon cards. That would be one for each pilot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
ironman99 wrote:
it is a shame not all y wings can have the ion cannon


Where did you read that? If you bought four Y-Wings you would get four ion cannon cards. That would be one for each pilot.


on the ffg xwing forum, somebody said that. apolagies if i have beleived their lies as now that i look at the promo article properly there is no evidence of this. i just aasumed as i read it in a rush there wasnt an icon on every pilot card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone seen how the torpedoes work?
I see that missiles have been covered in the TIE/Adv preview.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Has anyone seen how the torpedoes work?
I see that missiles have been covered in the TIE/Adv preview.


 
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Proton torpedoes are now anti-starfighter weapons?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Segers
Belgium
Brecht
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
"long after it was scheduled to be phased out, its speed, durability, and weapon options helped it remain a staple of the Rebel fleet."
It's speed? It's prety much the slowest fighter around? Atleast it was back in the days when I played the X-wing games on the PC.

Any way, looks awsome. Still I realy hope for a B-wing expansion.


Could be that the Lucasarts games just modelled them like this. In the Star Wars: Star Warriors game, the Y-Wing has about the best acceleration, and the same top speed as an x-wing I think. In that game they also had 2-seater variants, with a gunner manning the ion gun turret.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
i think the biggest threat is forcing your opponent to carry on in a straight line, that could be disastorous as your enemies will know where you are going to be and what way you will be facing and can gang up on you accordingly.


Not only that, but imagine blasting an opponent that moved too close the edge of the map . . . actually, that wouldn't work because if a "straight 1" will send them off the map, they would go off no matter what. Still, I look forward to the strategy of when to disable your opponents and force them into certain areas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.