Justin Conte
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
I've had Descent for about 2 years and have managed to play it once. It's a great game, but my friends simply don't have 5 hours+ of patience unfortunately, so the 2nd edition I have on its way will be a huge blessing.

I don't have any expansions, nor attachment to the original heroes, so I'm leaning towards selling/trading the 1st edition given the worth seems to have gone way up. I know there's a conversion kit, but it doesn't seem worth it when all I have is the base set, not the expansions. I'm curious if there is a huge compelling reason for someone in my situation to convert instead, or if I'm correct in assuming I'm better off jumping back in with just the 2nd edition and expanding from there with the inevitable expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should sell it to me and I will get the conversion kit .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petrieslastword wrote:
I've had Descent for about 2 years and have managed to play it once. It's a great game, but my friends simply don't have 5 hours+ of patience unfortunately, so the 2nd edition I have on its way will be a huge blessing.

I don't have any expansions, nor attachment to the original heroes, so I'm leaning towards selling/trading the 1st edition given the worth seems to have gone way up. I know there's a conversion kit, but it doesn't seem worth it when all I have is the base set, not the expansions. I'm curious if there is a huge compelling reason for someone in my situation to convert instead, or if I'm correct in assuming I'm better off jumping back in with just the 2nd edition and expanding from there with the inevitable expansions.

Well I would keep it...at a minimum you'd be doubling your available monsters with the conversion kit. Do you have any of the Runebound/Runewars games?....because those heroes are also in the conversion kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Needed
msg tools
If you can try and find somebody into DnD and sell him the tiles, Tokens (such as health, gold, ect) and even some of the monsters because the conversion pack doesn't even use all of them.

I think it's worth it even with the base game because your adding a lot of monster groups and another 12 heroes, which can be seen as a pretty sizable expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cease_one wrote:
the conversion pack doesn't even use all of them.

Just to clarify and elaborate on that statement - it does use all of them - just doesn't use all of them. (yeah... way to clarify)

I don't have the numbers in front of me - but say 1e comes with 6 minion and 3 master skeletons - 2e might only use up to 4 minions and 2 masters... leaving you with 2 minion and 1 master left over that you will not need for 2e play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its worth keeping, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that swayed me to keep my 1.0 and Well of Darkness was that 2.0 only comes with 8 heroes and a smaller number of different monsters. The conversion kit is not that expensive, and it allows you to use all the 1.0 hero and monster figures in 2.0 games. Sure, you don't REALLY need the figures, and proxies are not that hard to come by. Then again, I really don't have any proxy figures, so in my case, I'd be buying them anyway, or having to constantly remember what's proxying for what.

If you do have ready access to good proxies, I don't see why you wouldn't sell 1.0. Your group seems not likely to play it, and while the prices I've seen have dropped from when 2.0 was a pre-order, it still fetches a good price some days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Get rid of it!

You can get a good price for it online, and if you get the conversion kit, you don't really need the first edition to take advantage of all the extra heroes and monsters, so long as you don't mind proxy-ing stuff.

Also, you will never use any of the counters, map pieces, or cards from the first edition ever again - just the plastic heroes and monsters (and maybe the familiar tokens?), so if space is an issue that's extra evidence you should sell it to dlhammond!!

Plus, if you played Descent 1st ed only once, then it's perhaps not very likely you'll even finish Descent 2nd ed... So you don't need the conversion kit with all the extra goodies you'll never get around to using, so...

What are you waiting for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Matt here. Sell that bloated old beast off!

Bear in mind that a lot of users on this site are raging complete-oholics. If there's an expansion, they want it. If there's a promo card, they must have it. The conversion kit will give you some more characters and monsters to use, but none of them are neccessary. For a certain kind of person, having those extra options is very important. The fact that you only played the 1st ed. once means you'll never miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of whether you keep it or not, if you like second edition, then you should get the conversion kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking on BGG if he should sell his 1st Edition Descent game is kind of like dangling a leg in shark-infested waters and saying "anyone hungry"? ...JK! In all honesty, if you intend to get the conversion kit, keep your old minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming that FFG will be inundating us with expansions that include all the heroes and monsters from 1.0. Am I off base with this assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
I am assuming that FFG will be inundating us with expansions that include all the heroes and monsters from 1.0. Am I off base with this assumption?

I seriously doubt it considering the marketing strategy they have chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:

I believe you are. I doubt they'd release products that make the Conversion Kit obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I say keep the old set until you're certain enough that you don't need to ask strangers on a forum.

Personally, I really miss placing orders. Knowing when to aim, dodge, guard, advance, or battle is what made Descent a deeply tactical game. I know I miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.