Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a youth pastor, so as part of that I am always looking for good games to play with the youth. This includes card and board games, but it can be hard to find card/board games that work with groups. I just happened to be browsing kickstarter, when this game was in it's final hours. I read the stuff posted, watched the video, and figured it had potential. The lowest buy in rate was $5 for a PDF of the game, so that is what I went in for. The PDF was delivered shortly after the kickstarter campaign successfully ended, so I printed it up and played it with my group. So is Do Move Say a kickstarter success or a kickstarter flop?

Game Overview
Do Move Say is a group deduction/party game. In this game everyone gets a secret role. The vast majority of the roles of townsfolk. These rolls all have very wacky Do, Move, Say commands. For example, one card might tell a player to point at the ground, while hopping around, and talking about eggs. In addition to having a Do, Move, and Say command each card also has a couple of conceptual commands. So a card might say something like If someone near you is singing then go tell someone else "the crow flies at midnight." Thus, someone else might a second command that says If someone tells you the crow flies at midnight then act like a baby for one minute.

In addition to the townsfolk there are two other roles. The Mastermind does not have a specific do, move, say command. Instead they try to blend in and accomplish three objectives. The mastermind must first pinch the elbow of a set amount of people talking about eggs (the number of people is determined by the number of players). Second, the mastermind must pass off their note to another player, and finally they must get the secret key from another player (which will be one of the players singing or dancing). The other role is the detective. The detective stands outside the play area and watches the chaos. The detective's job is to figure out who the mastermind is. The mastermind gets only one guess before times runs out. If the mastermind finishes all three objectives before being accused they win. If the detective is right, then they win. If the detective accuses the wrong person, and the mastermind has completed at least one objective then the mastermind wins. If the detective accuses the wrong person and the mastermind has completed at least one objective, then the mastermind wins.

There are also some mod cards that add some special rules to the games and even different victory conditions for certain players.

What I loved
The game is silly. The silliness of the game is easily it's biggest strength. This game is great for a group that loves to laugh at itself as everyone acts utterly ridiculous. If you are looking for a game/activity that allows people to be goofballs and revel in that, then this is it.

I also appreciate that this game plays with 40(ish) people right out of the box. This makes it a really good choice as a large group activity, and makes it a really good pick for an environment like a youth group.

What I Did Not Love
There is really no away around the fact that this is really a two player game that happens to require 10 other people to play. The mastermind and detective are the only ones who are really playing a game, everyone else is just a piece in the game. Since I am evaluating this as a game, then I do consider this a minor negative. When held up to other group deduction games, where everyone gets more equal involvement this one falls short. It is important to know that going into it.

The rules are a bit of a mess. The rules say the game is "devastatingly simple but the setup can be a little tricky." The only thing devastating is how badly the rules dropped the ball on explaining the set up. For example, the mastermind needs to start the game with the note and another player needs to start the game with a key card. It is suppose to be secret, but the rules do not explain how to do this. Now it is a simple, "everyone close your eyes" and do what needs to be done fix. But seriously that should have been in the rules.

I played this game with less than 20 people, so with more people it might take longer. However, the suggested 10 minute time limit is WAY to long. In every instance the game was over one way or another in less than 5 minutes. Plus, have you ever tried hoping on one foot for 10 straight minutes?

Final Thoughts
I have to wonder who exactly this game is suppose to be for. This is a fantastic group game to play with a group of tweens to teenagers. However, the game requires a large group of at least 10 to play, and I think 20 is probably better. That really rules it out as a family game (unless you are the Duggar family). This is not the kind of game you would break out with a gaming group either. My gaming group really loves The Resistance, but if I would suggest this game to them I would get these kind of looks: shake whistle
So unless you are a youth pastor or maybe a drama teacher or PE teacher looking for something new to do, I am not really sure who I would recommend this game to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
This is a fantastic group game to play with a group of tweens to teenagers.

This is not a fantastic game for anyone. One of my kids is 14, he played in our session, and hated it as much as everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Vigeant
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
The rules are a bit of a mess. The rules say the game is "devastatingly simple but the setup can be a little tricky." The only thing devastating is how badly the rules dropped the ball on explaining the set up. For example, the mastermind needs to start the game with the note and another player needs to start the game with a key card. It is suppose to be secret, but the rules do not explain how to do this. Now it is a simple, "everyone close your eyes" and do what needs to be done fix. But seriously that should have been in the rules.

I played this game with less than 20 people, so with more people it might take longer. However, the suggested 10 minute time limit is WAY to long. In every instance the game was over one way or another in less than 5 minutes. Plus, have you ever tried hoping on one foot for 10 straight minutes?

I clarified the rules to include instructions on the best way to hand out the cards discreetly in the most recent version. Also, I will review the rules again to make sure it is clear who gets what extra cards, and how long each Do Move Say action should be made. When sending the original ruleset out to game testers, they seemed fairly successful, but I've adjusted since the more public release, and will continue to adjust :-)

No one should hop for 10 minutes, it should be more distributed and random.

-p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.