Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula is reduced to Blood Death and forced to flee back to Castle Dracula.

But what happens if their are heavenly hosts blocking his path (Vienna and Zagreb for example)?

Should we assume he is forced to take shortest possible sea route instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorum wrote:
Dracula is reduced to Blood Death and forced to flee back to Castle Dracula.

But what happens if their are heavenly hosts blocking his path (Vienna and Zagreb for example)?

Should we assume he is forced to take shortest possible sea route instead?

Yes. The rules say he can only move by sea if he is in the British Isles when forced to flee. I take that to mean that he must do so when a land-only route is impossible, and assume that the omission of the situation you describe was an oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC you cannot block Draculas path back to Castle Dracula.

I'm at work, so I can't check the rules, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the reference section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
IIRC you cannot block Draculas path back to Castle Dracula.

I'm at work, so I can't check the rules, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the reference section.

I'm sure you're thinking of the prohibition on placing a host in Castle Dracula or the adjacent areas (Galatz and Klausenberg), but there are no restrictions elsewhere. If there is a host in Vienna and a second one in either Munich or Zagreb, Dracula is prevented from returning to Castle Dracula from Western Europe without putting to sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC once Dracula has less than 2 Blood Points left he cannot move by sea.

The exception is when he is forced to return to his castle while in the British Isles and is reduced to 0 Blood Points or has Blood Death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
IIRC once Dracula has less than 2 Blood Points left he cannot move by sea.

The exception is when he is forced to return to his castle while in the British Isles and is reduced to 0 Blood Points or has Blood Death.

Yup, that's what the rules say. But they also say he can't enter a city with a host marker, and that he has to move directly to Castle Dracula once he hits 0 Blood Points and has to flee. That's why the O.P. asked the question.

My take is that they neglected to cover this situation in the rules, where Drac is not in the British Isles but still can't reach Castle Dracula by land movement due to host placement. The only logical way to handle it is to do it the same as if he were in the British Isles when he has to flee, and allow the sea move to resolve the dilemma.

This isn't uncommon, btw. Host markers in Vienna and either Munich or Zagreb to block east/west land movement is pretty much a given in our games. The others are normally used for chokepoints into Spain and Italy. If Drac is in Spain when he's forced to flee, and there's a host in Saragossa, he's blocked by that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.