SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
I paid 100 geek gold...
badge
and all I got was this lousy OverText
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided that it would be useful to have a place with a list of people who are fairly well known who review new games.

Here is the current list:
the dice tower
board games with scott
board game reviews by josh
drake's flames
nerd bloggers
tom vasel's bgg review page
fortress ameritrash
2d6.org's reviews
top reviewers on BGG (by number of reviews)

If anyone has other well known reviewers to add, please post them. I will update this post with a summation of all of the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Scott still do reviews? I know he used to do a lot of video reviews, but I thought that he had stopped doing that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott does his in play reviews, but they are kind of on a "when he feels inspired" basis.

You should add the stuff at 2d6.org to the list (UndeadViking, EekAMouse, Calendale, Marnaudo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've slowed down a bit since having a new baby, but we review new games at Nerdbloggers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's your favorite boardgame reviewer?
In praise of BGG wargame reviewers.
Introducing your Golden Thumb Reviewers: an interview with some of BGG's most prolific reviewers
Reviewers you cannot afford to miss
Top Contributors to BGG: Top Reviewers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a list of the most prolific BGG reviewers:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount.php?action=browse&sort=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, yes? You called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Just a note, this list is site wide and not board game specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Not bad, I'm tied for 85th. Time to move it on up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it looks like I topped out at 82nd. Pretty good for a site this size.

I would also recommend Fortress: Ameritrash, just because I'm on staff there. And I have a blog over at The Rumpus Room.

Just a shameless bit of self-promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 122nd on the list without having written a single board game review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Scott does his in play reviews, but they are kind of on a "when he feels inspired" basis.

You should add the stuff at 2d6.org to the list (UndeadViking, EekAMouse, Calendale, Marnaudo)

this. all those guys are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot is covered here: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Internet_Boardgame_Resour...#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
I paid 100 geek gold...
badge
and all I got was this lousy OverText
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the original post with the new suggestions (A lot came really fast, so it is possible that I missed some... if anyone feels slighted then please tell me so that I can add your suggestion in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

My big change in my gaming habits is that I'm focusing more on games from the past, so I'm not getting newer games. When I'm with someone else who has new games, then you see more of the videos.

What I realized was that I wasn't enjoying most of the new games I was playing.

So, why should I spend time doing something that I would most likely not enjoy instead of going into my collection and choosing something that I will most likely enjoy?

This ah-hah put me toward focusing more on older games, which is
- less expensive
- takes less prep time, and
- leads to happier game nights for me.

I've also learned from the numbers that people aren't nearly as interested in most older games as they are learning about newer games, so I don't tend to make the videos for older games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
I've also learned from the numbers that people aren't nearly as interested in most older games as they are learning about newer games, so I don't tend to make the videos for older games.

It's not surprising that videos for new games draw more attention. But it seems to me that a video series focusing on older games could fill a valuable niche.

For all that some BGGers complain about the "Cult of the New," there doesn't seem to be much that anyone is doing to really bring older games to the fore.

Just a thought.

Edit: I'm not saying that you, personally, should be compelled to take up this banner -- just that a smaller audience might not be less valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
snicholson wrote:

It's not surprising that videos for new games draw more attention. But it seems to me that a video series focusing on older games could fill a valuable niche.

For all that some BGGers complain about the "Cult of the New," there doesn't seem to be much that anyone is doing to really bring older games to the fore.

Just a thought.

They don't want to watch videos about the games they love though, they just want them to be on the hotness and to have high ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.