Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one of:

Glory to Rome (IV edition)
Innovation (iello edition)
51st State: New era

Or is all or some stupid to get if you already got Race for the galaxy?

Core worlds could had been an option to I guess but whatever.

I know Innovation supposedly play better with fewer players and one could always hope for a better looking glory to Rome. But which one is better?

An alternative and different title would be 51st state but I don't know whatever it really competes with the others and whatever it's better or worse and how much game value it has. The production quality is just fine though.

Guess I'm more looking into information whatever what is most fun rather than differences. But I can't say I know all that much about 51st state so it's ok to explain things within the game to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
51st looks great, but never tried it. I found GtR very similar to RftG with a theme I liked less. Did enjoy the art though. Innovation rules! Fascinating, original, and deep.

Another of his games, Organic Soup is incredible too. That one is best with four. Innovation would be too unruly with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
51st looks great, but never tried it. I found GtR very similar to RftG with a theme I liked less. Did enjoy the art though. Innovation rules! Fascinating, original, and deep.

Another of his games, Organic Soup is incredible too. That one is best with four. Innovation would be too unruly with four.
Innovation better than Glory to Rome?

I liked the art of Glory to Rome. That's what got me interested. I know a little about how each game play, more about GtR for the moment. But now then there exist newer editions I don't know.

I don't know what to make out of 51st state. I think it has rather few cards. But maybe that doesn't matter all that much? Still similar to RFTG I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Which one of:

I've played Race, Glory to Rome, and Innovation. Race and Rome are similar, Rome has more direct interaction into other players areas, and is very "colorful". If you like Race, you'll like Rome, but it can be a bit more chaotic/interactive (so figure out what your group likes). I find it a little more tactical than Race, which again you should balance against your groups likes/dislikes.

Innovation, when played with 3 or more players, was a snoozefest for me, and entirely pointless. I loved the idea, and bought it immediately, but the multiplayer version was just dreadful. There is almost no reason to pay attention to the playing field until your turn, at which point you make the most tactical advantageous move (which was relatively easy to deduce), and then you ignored the board until your turn again. I've been told 2 player games are more interesting, I've since sold the game.

I've had 51st state on my "explore" list for sometime, but haven't had a chance to pick it up and try it out. If you do, please don't forget to post...

Good luck with whatever you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
aliquis wrote:
Which one of:

I've played Race, Glory to Rome, and Innovation. Race and Rome are similar, Rome has more direct interaction into other players areas, and is very "colorful". If you like Race, you'll like Rome, but it can be a bit more chaotic/interactive (so figure out what your group likes). I find it a little more tactical than Race, which again you should balance against your groups likes/dislikes.

Innovation, when played with 3 or more players, was a snoozefest for me, and entirely pointless. I loved the idea, and bought it immediately, but the multiplayer version was just dreadful. There is almost no reason to pay attention to the playing field until your turn, at which point you make the most tactical advantageous move (which was relatively easy to deduce), and then you ignored the board until your turn again. I've been told 2 player games are more interesting, I've since sold the game.

I've had 51st state on my "explore" list for sometime, but haven't had a chance to pick it up and try it out. If you do, please don't forget to post...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I've only played Innovation once and it was 2-player. I felt like I was constantly doing bookkeeping to see what was going on....counting symbols, achievements, etc. Everything changes every turn, so I'd have to re-count every single turn. It didn't help that I was still learning the cards, but I still don't know that I'd love the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played 51st state, but Innovation is one of my favorite games. I keep GtR around for multiple people but Innovation is perfection with no fat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find RftG soso. Quite dislike GtR and have never played Innovation.
However I love 51st state. So I can at least say it feels quite differently for me. It definitely does not the Puerto Rico/San Juan/RftG/... type of everyone does what I pick, but it also has a confusing iconography like RtfG, so its not too newbie friendly.
IMHO a great game, but without knowing your likes cannot truely recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Personally I find RftG soso. Quite dislike GtR and have never played Innovation.
However I love 51st state. So I can at least say it feels quite differently for me. It definitely does not the Puerto Rico/San Juan/RftG/... type of everyone does what I pick, but it also has a confusing iconography like RtfG, so its not too newbie friendly.
IMHO a great game, but without knowing your likes cannot truely recommend.
Any other recommended games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB BB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Innovation and GtR. I remember creating a thread like this where I was trying to decide between Innovation, GtR, RftG, Core Worlds and Eminent Domain. Based on the responses I received and some reading on my own, I decided to get Innovation.

I have played Innovation several times now (2,3 and 4 player) and I can truly say that I think it works well in every way. I do prefer the 2v2 team variant when there are 4 players involved though. I absolutely love the game. Its clever, frustrating and a little crazy all in a neat little package. Quick to setup and teach as well. It is brilliant in terms of how one card could interact with another and setup a win for you. There have been games when I looked at a card and thought it was pretty weak, and a week later that same card helped me dominate in a game. I love that aspect of it.

Since our group loved the game so much, I decided to go out and buy GtR too as it was from the same designer. However, I have been disappointed with GtR so far. Maybe it just hasn't 'clicked' for me yet. Its not as 'fun' a game as Innovation. It comes across as a more serious and strategic game to me, but then the art is super-cartoony. I just dont get it. It is an interesting game though and I will give it atleast half a dozen more plays before I truly judge it.

My recommendation, at this time, would have to be for Innovation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 3 I like 51st state the best. The theme come across much better than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a bundle on kickstarter with 51st state with it, not promoting it, I've only played innovation, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OreCol02 wrote:
There is a bundle on kickstarter with 51st state with it, not promoting it, I've only played innovation, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
51th state and what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
OreCol02 wrote:
51th state and what?

Quick search, and I assume this - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092804470/apparatus-a-s...

No opinions about the other game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
aliquis wrote:
OreCol02 wrote:
51th state and what?

Quick search, and I assume this - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092804470/apparatus-a-s...

No opinions about the other game though.

Note that it appears to be for 51st State and not The New Era (which is the standalone expansion that is considered to be the more complete and well rounded game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Innovation is best by far as a two-player game. Three is playable, four is a mess (though I haven't tried it with the designer's two-on-two team rules). I've heard that Glory to Rome is best at four. So that might help narrow it down?

mfaulk80 wrote:
I've only played Innovation once and it was 2-player. I felt like I was constantly doing bookkeeping to see what was going on....counting symbols, achievements, etc. Everything changes every turn, so I'd have to re-count every single turn. It didn't help that I was still learning the cards, but I still don't know that I'd love the game...

After a couple of games, I think that most players would find this pretty straightforward. I find that any game with more than a few things going on can be difficult to read the first time, but as you gain experience you can see what's going on at a glance. The OP did mention Race for the Galaxy, after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Innovation is best by far as a two-player game. Three is playable, four is a mess (though I haven't tried it with the designer's two-on-two team rules). I've heard that Glory to Rome is best at four. So that might help narrow it down?

mfaulk80 wrote:

After a couple of games, I think that most players would find this pretty straightforward. I find that any game with more than a few things going on can be difficult to read the first time, but as you gain experience you can see what's going on at a glance. The OP did mention Race for the Galaxy, after all...

Yeah, that's why I made sure to qualify it as being based off of a single game...

And it was pretty straight forward the first game, but it was constant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.