Including commentary by our own, our very own:

Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also Snakes & Lattes is mentioned - where the writer (who becomes a convert) plays Pandemic!

PDF of article here

Oh noes - our hobby is now fashionable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nerdy"? Not a word I would/did use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:

Ah, more press distortion - you better get used to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lokides wrote:

The sure way to tell if a journalist has misquoted you is to see if they put it in quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:

"Since the end of the Second World War, all of the innovation in tabletop-game design in North America was about war-gaming for massively overeducated, nerdy white males," says Woods. "Then came role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons and collectible card games, which were nerdy and subcultural."

laugh Maybe you could petition for a retraction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
PC translation of BFG perhaps? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back through my email, they asked about this term.
I explicitly stated that it wasn't appropriate:

Quote:
I wouldn't say these game genres were "nerdy", but that they attracted a particular audience - typically well educated - and tended to focus on genre themes that appealed to that audience (eg. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror)

*sigh*

Of course, that doesn't mean we're not all nerds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the article was overwhelmingly positive. Its a good sign that this hobby is maturing and gaining mainstream acceptance. This will lead to greater market penetration, wider availability and lower prices. Its a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:

Quote:
I wouldn't say these game genres were "nerdy", but that they attracted a particular audience - typically well educated - and tended to focus on genre themes that appealed to that audience (eg. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror)

*sigh*

Maybe I'm missing the context here, but it seems to me in the article the term was appropriate, because the article was trying to show a "coming of age" for board games, much in the way video games did. Once viewed by the mainstream as "nerdy", they no longer carry that stigma. For the author to highlight its evolution, she had to show where it came from, and determinately say what it no longer is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for sharing! Also appearing, Ben Castanie:

Snakes & Lattes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

owner of Snakes & Lattes. If you're ever visiting Toronto I highly recommend the place. The owner is awesome, the staff are friendly, helpful, and fun.. it stays open late, and they have regular tournaments and stuff. Only 5$ to play as long as you want. And they have a liquor license!

In fact, I think their success has inspired the opening of more board game cafes in other Canadian cities. Monopolatte (Ottawa) is currently scheduled for its grand opening on August 21st, and The Odd Spot (also Ottawa) planning to open its doors in 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
Cool, thanks for sharing! Also appearing, Ben Castanie:

Snakes & Lattes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

owner of Snakes & Lattes. If you're ever visiting Toronto I highly recommend the place. The owner is awesome, the staff are friendly, helpful, and fun.. it stays open late, and they have regular tournaments and stuff. Only 5$ to play as long as you want. And they have a liquor license!

In fact, I think their success has inspired the opening of more board game cafes in other Canadian cities. Monopolatte (Ottawa) is currently scheduled for its grand opening on August 21st, and The Odd Spot (also Ottawa) planning to open its doors in 2014.

Agreed. SNL is fantastic. Its sleek, modern, has GREAT coffee and wonderful staff. I've only been once, but had a phenomenal time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
lokides wrote:

Quote:

*sigh*

Maybe I'm missing the context here, but it seems to me in the article the term was appropriate, because the article was trying to show a "coming of age" for board games, much in the way video games did. Once viewed by the mainstream as "nerdy", they no longer carry that stigma. For the author to highlight its evolution, she had to show where it came from, and determinately say what it no longer is.

You mean coming of age and evolving away from the games all those "nerdy white males" play? It doesn't sound so overly positive for those of us who still prefer wargames or D&D or collectible games. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:

Oh, I see why it's framed that way, it's just strange seeing the word attributed to me as I'm pretty confident it's not one I would have used.
I also specifically rejected it in the proofing email!

But, yes, I do think that less genre-specific themes help to make games more accessible and for the market it serves the article is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:

You mean coming of age and evolving away from the games all those "nerdy white males" play? It doesn't sound so overly positive for those of us who still prefer wargames or D&D or collectible games. cry

This being the reason I didn't like the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
lokides wrote:

Quote:

*sigh*

Yeah...but...you guys are nerds....

(I kid! I kid! Don't shoot!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

"In Germany, however, things
were different. Playing war games
was outlawed after the Second World War..."

Is that true? I know they're not particularly popular in Germany, and there are certain legal restrictions (no swastikas for example), but were war games ever actually made illegal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:

"In Germany, however, things
were different. Playing war games
was outlawed after the Second World War..."

Is that true? I know they're not particularly popular in Germany, and there are certain legal restrictions (no swastikas for example), but were war games ever actually made illegal?

No, they weren't.

War related toys were prohibited for a period and there was a cultural stigma surrounding war games.

Clearly a lot was lost in translation. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.