Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

Been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks now, having been directed here by a couple of pals who resurrected my interest in dice and cardboard. (Videogame retailers throughout the land are currently weeping.)

I haven't been involved in the hobby for years, although was a keen D&Der in my school days. My partner expressed an interest in us looking at a couple of boardgames, something we could do together, and the past few weeks have been a fantastic blur. I love the intricacy of the mechanics, the artwork, the social aspect - and I'm slowly recruiting more pals to the hobby.

I dread to think what I've spent already this year (no more until Christmas!), but I've picked up (and loved): Agricola, Pandemic, Citadels, Carcassone, Arkham Horror, 1960 tMotP, Friday, Zombies, Death Angel, Power Grid, Elder Sign, Dominion, Bohnanza, Monopoly Deal... the list goes on.

And that's my problem: the list goes on.

I struggled like all hell to find a copy of Making of the President; there's several other games that I want that already seem hard to find. I'm now of the mindset that if something comes available I should grab it, as it seems likely that if I wait a month or two it'll have vanished. Admittedly, I've already got enough games to sink a battleship (haven't played that in many a year), but I'm drowning in my new found love for the hobby.

How do you keep on top of it? How long do print runs last? If I miss the next run of Mage Knight, am I going to have to wait years for another chance to crack open the wallet?

And one tiny complaint: it seems this hobby, more than any other, has a supply issue that really chafes me. Stores that claim to have an item in stock, take my money, and then wait a week before upgrading my order to "out of stock". I had this happen three times this past week, which meant chasing three lots of refunds. Are UK retailers just really slack in this regard?

Finally, one that isn't slack is: www.greenknightgames.com who not only had the items I wanted in stock, but got them out as soon as the weekend was done, and even managed a polite response to my innane questions. I know the regular sites that people recommend, but I haven't seen these guys get too much love here yet.

Anyway, I've got punchboards to sort. I actually find unboxing these things to be as enjoyable as playing them some times. Long may the sickness last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
If I miss the next run of Mage Knight, am I going to have to wait years for another chance to crack open the wallet?

Averaging about two prints per year. I would say that's about the same for other healthy games in terms of them getting sold out and reprinted. It depends on the cult of the new factor though. You will have to wait during print runs for stuff like MK, Eclipse, The Manhattan Project, etc, as where you should have no real issue getting older games outside of certain cases, ie really older games, or games that simply never sold that much.

I tend to use the Jones theory for games. What does this game add to my collection that I don't have already? Once I got the AT side of things pretty much locked down, I went to euros, and now onto war games. Is it going to be so awesome that I will be willing to play it over favorites I already have? Kind of like the "Is it hitting the table factor?" It's great you found some massive four hour game that looks awesome, but if you have one of them already and it only gets played once a month, this means those games are now only getting played once every two months at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you are pretty well set for a bit. Any great game that sells out and is truly beloved will eventually comeback and be reprinted (typically within a few months) or get a new updated, improved edition released making all those first edition buyers stomach's churn.

There are no guarantees of course but my experience has been that if you linger on BGG long enough you will get a feel for what is really being anticipated and is likely to sell out and then you can decide if any specific game is relevant enough to buy and hold or not. A good example is the highly anticipated release of the Eclipse expansion Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients which is due to be released by the end of the year and likely to be out of stock within a couple of weeks as the base game is the hottest game around these parts in a while...

My process to deal with the uncontrollable urges...

1) I have an Excel spread sheet and I have a top 10 games I want to buy in priority order. I keep it populated and am constantly resorting but it changes as my emotions change and I don't buy anything unless it has stayed in the #1 or 2 slot for a while (arbitrary but I then know I really want it). I try not to break from this list unless there is a special edition game that pops up that I really want, or a release that is clearly not going to be available again for some time.

It's only money, have fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not a bad list, but too many light games. You're missing: Chicago Express, Homesteaders, Navegador whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the additional recommendations, always appreciated!

I'm planning on building up to more complex fare. My "gaming group" is really just my partner and my eleven year old daughter when she comes to stay. Got a couple of pals who are intrigued by 1960 (I've only given it a dummy play to learn the rules so far but can't wait to get properly stuck in).

I'm already chomping at the bit for Twilight Struggle, but think I need to ease my fellow gamers in slowly. If I scare everyone off, I'm going to be stuck playing solitaire games for ever more.

That said, Infiltration arrived this morning, and Hive is in the mail. Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless it's a small print run, a month or two to sell out is unlikely. Some games take years to run out, like my beloved Taluva. It took so long to sell out its initial English print run that the publisher said it wouldn't be reprinted but he may have changed his mind. Do you actually like Mage Knight? Have you played it? It's an expensive game if you find you don't like it.

If it's something like Where There is Discord or Space Hulk 3rd Ed. then yes, buy in case you want it. I could sell both of those games for a lot more than I paid for them due to their scarcity which I suspected would be the case--but that's a rare case, my friend, and I'd not count on that happening often and I didn't buy them to sell them and I've had several high offers. Well loved games aren't always reprinted. Neither of those two games are ever likely to be reprinted as both the publishers have said no to that possibility, GW of course announcing the single print run before it went on sale.

That you feel like you're drowning is a strong indicator that you feel in fear of purchasing unwisely. While this is advice I could follow myself: Not having that next game with the interesting theme is not going to ruin your life. I see the other guys who've replied also get the impression that you've got sufficient games (at least for now). If you've got the dosh to pay for more, and the shelf space, and the time to play that's great but do consider the opportunity cost of buying games. For the cost of a games in the UK you could have a weekend away with your lover and make just as many happy memories as playing those games a few times each which is often as many times as unloved games get played in a growing collection.

This blog page I found really interesting and quite compelling in its central message, compelling enough that I didn't order the Alien Frontiers faction--which is great since I only think that game is okay and probably won't get played enough to justify the expansion.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7202/bus-theory-buying-mor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be going against the the grain of most responses here, but I would say if you see something you really do think you will love - get it there and then, and don't take the risk; particularly here in the UK certain games - even very popular ones in the States, and Europe - can be much harder to get hold of, even when they're still in print (I have a suspicion we might be putting Mice and Mystics, for instance, into this category)! (though I'll echo your kudos to greenknightgames). One tactic I (and I'm sure others) find works when I feel like I've spent too much, but there's something I really want that is in danger of disappearing is to buy it, and then leave it in a cupboard for a few months until a birthday or Christmas appear - thus relieving relatives the arduous task of gift hunting!

Also, if you find you start winning rather a lot, start investing in co-op games (I see you already have Pandemic) - at the moment that's the only kind my wife will play with me! We're finding Flash Point very good at the moment. And then, yes, start buying solo games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
Thanks for the additional recommendations, always appreciated!

My pleasure, although that was said with a bit of devil

Quote:

I'm planning on building up to more complex fare. My "gaming group" is really just my partner and my eleven year old daughter when she comes to stay.

The three games I listed above have extremely simple rules yet meaty gameplay. I see no reason why any casual gamer would have trouble with them. They're all well made, streamlined games with good balance/mechanics that should keep almost any eurogamer satisfied for a long while

In my experience: Go a bit nuts while it's all new. Do your research and buy what you think you'll like. Once your collection is around 30 games (including expansions, small filler games, etc), take a step back and evaluate what you have, play your games, see what you like and don't like, and go from there.

I used to be unable to properly watch reviews, read rulebooks, etc because there were just too many games to research. Having now played a bunch, I'm going back and watching these reviews as there are only about 5 games that really interest me (and I just bought 2 of them yesterday :\ but that was after a MONTH of not buying a thing. I did a lot of research on both of them, neither were impulse buys), which is much easier to swallow than trying to watch 20-30 minute reviews for the top 40 like I did when it was all brand new

*edit*

I'm also going to offer an alternative viewpoint from Galaad: Most games worth owning do have a reprint and are usually better quality, unless there weren't any egregious errors in the first printing. I'd say overall, missing the first printing is probably the better tactic.

Examples:
King of Tokyo - I got the reprint which has dice with engraving, not just ink, for better long term wear

Mage Knight - missed the boat on the first printing and got a copy of the second one on release, with the errata fixed in the rulebook and cards

Homesteaders - First version had awful components that many say ruined the experience for them. Second edition has way better ones and is a near perfect game

Manhattan Project - have a first edition copy and kickstarted the expansion. It had an annoying but non-gamebreaking printing error (doesn't affect gameplay at all) with the starting cards, and they'll be replaced with the kickstarter.

Flash Point - I missed the original kickstarter and bought it from my FLGS. The original had cool firemeeples and I have to make do with pawns out of Sorry (except they're wooden)! I've gone over budget on my boardgaming this month so going to miss out on those with the kickstarter..... having said that, for the enjoyment I get out of this game and the amount I play it, the wooden pawns and the base game are more than enough. If I was an FP:FR fanatic, I would have kickstarted it and not spent my money on other games (like the Manhattan Project kickstarter )

Brass - o noes! Brass is OOP! Has been for a while! Except the new print is coming into stores this month.

Traders of Carthage - many say this is one of the best 2 player card games they've ever played. I bought it for a premium and it's a good game, but I'd rather play Innovation, Battle Line, Rivals for Catan, Glory to Rome, 1960, Citadels, Haggis, Roma, etc. The good news is, I can offload it for what I bought it for, since I bought an OOP used game and I'm selling an OOP used game. It's a really good eurogame in a portable format, but I've never been a huge fan of pure eurogames (I prefer Eurogames that have mechanics that go with the theme, like those by Wallace).

Sure, there may be a game here and there you miss out on but if you NEED to play 15 new games a month, you're doing it wrong. Games are like wine... good ones get better with age. Replay the good ones. I can only play about 3-5 good meaty games a month, so I need 3-5 big expensive meaty games that I can replay over and over and refine my strategy. Sell the ones you like but aren't as good (it's for this reason, I'm selling Power Grid with regret. It's a great game but I prefer something a little more economic-based and less on the euro side of things and since I'd rather play Age of Industry every time, it's out the door. If I was able to game 3 times a week, this wouldn't be the case).

I'd say focus on games that are out and are proven (at least 6 months old). Ignore the cult of the new, many of the people giving rave reviews are experienced gamers looking for different things than you. Some gamers like hidden victory points that are not revealed until the end. Some loathe this (present company included). Find a game that does a lot of things moderately well, then come back here and go "I played this game and I loved this part and I played this game and loved this part, is there a game that does both these things?" and you'll get about 2 pages of responses, some of which may actually be on topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every must-have game for you is someone else's "Meh, I'm done with this / need some money".

Keep an eye on the auction sites and pretty much everything pops up eventually, and for surprisingly reasonable prices unless you want the latest unavailable hotness or ultimate grail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I'm also going to offer an alternative viewpoint from Galaad: Most games worth owning do have a reprint and are usually better quality, unless there weren't any egregious errors in the first printing. I'd say overall, missing the first printing is probably the better tactic.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that - my point was more that the UK gaming market is by no means as well supplied as elsewhere, so buying something while it is physically in front of you is often sensible as there are, in my experience, no guarantees that it will cross your path again. Of course, you can always import, but on larger games the international shipping is often prohibitive - to stick with the Mice and Mystics example, shipping to the UK was, when I last looked, around $52 - effectively doubling the cost if the pre-order offer was taken up.

So yes, buying a 2nd or later edition is the stronger, but still faced with something I definitely want, over here I would still say buy now and not risk not being able to buy later. On the other hand, if you're happy to pay a premium to import if necessary (and if you do really decide you want something you probably will be...), then hang on for a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just generally replying…

repairmanjack wrote:
I'm now of the mindset that if something comes available I should grab it, as it seems likely that if I wait a month or two it'll have vanished.

That's mostly false. In some cases, like Space Hulk, it's profoundly true, but it's an exception. If something is gon in a month, it sold well enough for a reprint. However, exchange "month" with "year" and you're close to the truth.

repairmanjack wrote:
How do you keep on top of it? How long do print runs last? If I miss the next run of Mage Knight, am I going to have to wait years for another chance to crack open the wallet?

I keep on top of it by simply realizing that a) there's no need to have games that I don't have time to play and (most importantly) 2) at the speed these games are coming, the likelyhood of me "missing" a game and no equivalent comes when I'm ready for a new game, is very very small.

Or, otherwise put, there'll be new, shiny things around the corner even in 10 years. The amount of games that are holy grails today is REALLY small, and you won't find them by just buying everything that looks cool. I have a lot of games that are "hard" to find today. Then again, there are many other games that I don't have and that probably scratch exactly the same itch.

repairmanjack wrote:
And one tiny complaint: it seems this hobby, more than any other, has a supply issue that really chafes me.

That's what I like with this hobby. I very rarely shop online, though, your given reasons is one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.