Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I have to go, but will put the pilot sheets together and post them later, as well as post the rules I have been using for this. I may try to post some of those before I have to leave. They are pretty simple.

This variant is for use with the Iraq campaign and the general war situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Urban tokens are for use in the Enemy rear and enemy transit range bands.

In the enemy rear I have been placing one at random and one in every adjacent hex to that one.

In the Enemy transit I have rolled random hexes until I roll the same hex twice or 3 urban tokens have been placed.

Place Urban tokens right side up.

Place Urban token before placing enemy units. When placing enemy units in urban hexes, place them on the urban token. These will begin the mission with urban cover.

After units are placed, look at the orange arrows on the tokens. If an orange arrow points to a hex without an urban token but does contain enemy units then move 1 random mobile unit into the urban hex and place it half on and half off the urban token. This unit begins the game in the open(outskirts) but if a cover roll makes him go to cover, then move him onto the urban token, he now will have urban cover. This represents good roads and the enemies habbit of hiding from air power as much as possible.

Uraban cover is the same as reg cover, but it comes with a penalty to hit the unit as well. -1 for light urban hexes and -2 for heavy.

Also anytime you attack a unit in urban cover and miss, you must make a collateral damage roll. Roll one die, if the die exceeds the 'miss' number on the urban token, then many civilians were killed in the bombing, draw 1 reprimand card.

If you drop more than one bomb onto a unit in urban cover, then you must make a collateral damage roll for each bomb after the first.(make one for the first bomb as well if it missed) Roll against the 'Hit' number on the token if the bomb scored a hit, otherwise roll against the 'Miss' number.

If you drop a munition that takes 3 weight to load, you must check for collateral damage, even if you do not miss, unless that munition is designated for buildings.(BLU-109)

Cluster munitions are very bad for civilians. If you decide(devil) to drop one in an urban hex, you must make a collateral roll for each target attacked. Use hit or miss numbers as appropriate. This will cause at most a single reprimand card draw.

Cannon attacks never cause collateral damage checks.

If a hex emerges durring the cover roll, you may move all enemy units in one urban hex to the 'outskirts' by moving them half off the urban token. They will no longer have cover unless they move to cover again.

The best weapon when the enemy is hiding near hospitals and schools(something Sadam did alot) is a single guided bomb.

The urban tokens do not effect heli's. Move them to cover as normal on the ridges.

no matter how many bombs a single attack drops, only draw one reprimand card if any collateral rolls were missed.

Buildings do not benefit from cover of course, but if they are in a Urban hex, then collateral rolls do apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The coalition unit tokens are for use in the Front lines, Friendly transit, Friendly rear and Airbase range bands.

These counters do not represent help for the player. They are units who have been overun and are in need of immediate CAS support.

In these range bands, after placing enemy units, roll once on the CAS request chart.(the chart has not been posted yet, I will make a card for it) This chart will tell you how many random Coalition units to place. Modify this roll by the number of range bands between your airbase and the mission range band. i.e. if your flying a mission on the front lines you would add 4 to the roll.

Alternatively, you may count this range from the FARP token if it is in a different range band than your airbase. If the FARP token is in the same range band as the mission, you would not modify the die. This represents the improved communication between ground commanders and chopper pilots, and results in less coalition forces showing up on your map, and therfore being in deep s@%#$.

The FARP token begins in your airbase, supply side up. Durring the replacements step, you may move it to any range band that does not contain a mobile enemy unit. When you do this flip it to its non supplied side. If you choose not to move the FARP, you may flip it to its supplied side instead. When on its non supplied side, any choppers flying missions from the FARP token may only use free weapons. If an enemy mobile unit moves past the range band containing the FARP token, immediately lose 1 SO and hit all choppers with 2 heavy hits before retreating them to your airbase.

The FARP token will also reduce the weight penalty for choppers. The numbr of range bands they can go before the penalty does not change, but you can count from the FARP token insted of the Airbase range band.

The coalition forces have a penalty at the bottom of thier tokens. If after your aircraft have left the map, any coalition forces are in hexes conaining non destroyed enemies, then immediately suffer the penalty on that coalition token. These penalties are cumulative.

Friendly Coalition forces are always placed with enemy units. Roll random hexes but continue rolling when needed. Only 1 coalition marker may be in a single hex.

-2 VP = lose 2 VP for each such token in an non destroyed enemy hex.
+2 move= Enemy BN's get a +2 to their move rolls for each of these.
-1 SO = Lose 1 SO for this token.

-Stress= This token is special, and is usually very bad news when it comes out. This token is always placed in either of the two center hexes, roll random. It does not need to be in an enemy hex.

If this token is on the map, then a pilot was shot down just previous to the player getting on scene, and his planes have been tasked with flying RESCAP. (this is similar to one of your own pilots getting shot down and making a SAR roll. A SAR roll represents the next CAS group on site flying RESCAP for you.)

When RESCAP is added to your objectives, by the presence of a downed pilot token, then you must include the Rescue chopper token to your flight group for this mission. The Rescue chopper flies as if one of your choppers(in the slow step), and gets shot at in the same way. Ignore all damage dealt to the rescue chopper except 'wounded', 'altitude' 'structure' and 'killed'.

The altitude hit has its normal effect. Any of the other non ignored hits destroys the rescue chopper.

When your planes leave the map, the rescue chopper needs to be hovering in the downed pilot hex, with no non destroyed enemies in that hex or in range and LOS of the rescue chopper. If this is true then the rescap was successful. If not then each pilot on the mission recieves an additional bingo 10 counter. This is in addition to any bingo counters from loiter time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When attacking an enemy unit in the same hex as a coalition force and the attack misses you must immediately remove the coalition force. This is a friendly fire incident. Immediately draw a reprimand card. When attacking in these hexes, it does not matter how many weapons counters used, only that you do not miss. This will often force you to decide to drop an excess in this hex, preventing you from using them elswhere. It helps to have the FARP token close to the action so less of these may show up.

In the real war, ground forces complained about having to wait for guided munitions when requesting CAS. It simply took to long to land and was therfore less effective. These rules make it more efficient to bomb these hexes with multiple dumb bombs. Sort of...

The downed pilot counter can never be the subject of friendly fire.

Cannon attacks never cause friendly fire incidents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When drawing reprimand cards, if you draw the last card, then you are releived of command and lose the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The smoke tokens represent smoke from hundreds of burning oilfields.

They are used in the Friendly Transit, and Friendly Rear range bands.

Place these tokens after setting up the map. In the Friendly Transit range band, roll a random hex and place a smoke token. Do this until you roll the same hex twice, or you have placed 2 smoke tokens.

In the Friendly Rear range band place as above but continue until you roll the same hex twice, or you have placed 5 smoke tokens.

A smoke token prevents LOS into the hex from high altitude. from low altitude it prevents LOS into the hex unless your only 1 hex away.
Smoke hexes also prevent LOS THROUGH the hex.

At high altitude you MAY stand off attack from a smoke hex. At low altitude you may NOT stand off attack from a smoke hex.

If you roll a 10 durring enemy cover roll. Then after moving enemies out of cover, roll on the wind shift chart.(has not been posted yet, will make a card for it) Move all smoke counters in the direction indicated by the chart. If this would move them off the map them remove them. A wind shift can happen only once durring a mission.

The GBU-24 can be flung at low altitude, with a range of 1. You only get 4 of these for the campaign but can help in heavy smoke areas.

In the real war, the wind would shift and allow coalition pilots to find there targets, almost as if someone was helping from above. When the smoke was not blown out of the way, cobras would get in under it and take care of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice. I like the rescue chopper rules! Looking forward to seeing your new pilots...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this for a couple weeks strait as I made it. I did not write anything down, so I have been trying to remember all the details that came up. I have been editing for that reason.

For example, the FARP doesn't get overun until a mobile enemy moves PAST its range band. Something I changed awhile back and got wrong here.

I should have been writing everything down. I'm no game maker, just doin' my best and having fun. Sorry for the edits. The game is put away now so I wanted to get this out while still fresh, for all the good its doing.

If anyone sees anything mispelled on the cards, let me know cause I will prob never catch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question about the Tornado IDS. Due to the aircraft having terrain following radar should the ridge rolls be even easier (+3)? The TFR can be dialled in as low as 50ft altitude depeding upon the "ride quality" desired, or threat avoidance required

The only other aircraft to stay with a Tornado in afterburner in the weeds...is another Tornado! cool

Diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
A question about the Tornado IDS. Due to the aircraft having terrain following radar should the ridge rolls be even easier (+3)? The TFR can be dialled in as low as 50ft altitude depeding upon the "ride quality" desired, or threat avoidance required

The only other aircraft to stay with a Tornado in afterburner in the weeds...is another Tornado! cool

Diff.

You may be right. I dont think a +3 would be too much to ask, considering the amount of stresss usually working against you.

I will change it, but it will have to wait til later. Pilots etc. also coming later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still great work Curtis, now all we need is the blackhawk pilots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an untested CAS request chart. The one I used while making this was not as forgiving.

I'm still going to remake my A-7 pilots as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is very awesome! I use all the aircraft in my regular games too.Are the last section of tokens with- +3 so/day +2 so/day.Are those coilition counters too? Tanks so much for your fine work pal!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, those I like to keep around my airfield on the display, so that they show how much SO I am getting each turn. I made them look like troops so it would feel like the first version of this game where you had ground troops to support on the display, but here they dont really do anything.

This is post that explains how I use them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/832633/helpful-markers

Never did remake one of the pilots that I planned to, got busy.

I also use my aircraft in the other campaigns, what can I say, I like my Intruders...and my variant free weapons to go along with the free dumb bombs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not see anywhere in this thread that explains how to use the AGM-88.

The 'P' on the counter means 'Preshot'. You fire these weapons just before placing your friendly aircrafy on the map. They are such long ranged that you can use them to clear out an attack corridor of air defences.

The GBU-24 has 2 ranges, they are for High and low altitude. The puple 2 is the high altitude range. You must remove these from the campaign after use, but I think it says that. The idea was to have a more modern weapon that would be useful in the smokey conditions of the Gulf War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you kind sir for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed....a great expansion...Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

These are for the Tornado, when playing a campaign after 2005 or so.

The ASRAAM replaces the AIM-9 and AIM 92.(can no longer use)

The Brims, is the Brimstone anti tank missle, only usable against vehicles.

The ALARM is anti radar. Its a pre-shot weapon, use it just before placing friendly aircraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Here is another Tornado for later campaigns. I re-made some of my older variant weapons,...maybe these are better.

I have a Template for these that was uploaded, so should be approved soon, in case anyone wants to make stuff. Next I will redo my pilot template(make it better) and upload that as well.

EDIT: The purple 2 is high altitude range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Different range at high altitude? Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Curtis,
this looks real good, will you unite the archives at a single pdf file and upload it at the files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.