Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pretty stoked over the last few days. This past weekend, I ordered all six Mirkwood adventure packs to add to my core set. My wife and I are really looking forward to adding more cards to our decks and making some really lethal decks.

I've only opened the first three adventure packs so far. I've been very careful to avoid looking at what comes in the encounter cards, and not reading the quest cards. But looking at the heroes I've uncovered so far as well as the sphere cards that came with the pack... I can't quite help but feel a little underwhelmed.

Whoops... Actually, I've opened the first two (THFG and CATC) and the fourth one (THOEM). Anyway, back to what I was saying, first and foremost, the heroes. I can't see myself really ever using Bilbo, Frodo (although his response is somewhat cool), or the other one who I can't remember right now. I know he's ranged. Then, there are several eagle type cards which really seem pretty worthless (I understand the Guardian because of his 4 defensive strength, but otherwise underwhelming). There are also some events, attachments, and allies which I can't see ever using either.

Now don't get me wrong... it's not all bad. Of course the songs are cool to have. And there are a FEW cards that could be useful. But unless I'm missing something (which could very well be knowing me!), I just don't see a whole lotta "Oh wow, I definitely want to add that to my deck" kind of cards. I don't really see a whole lot that enhance very much either.

Trust me, I'm not trying to bash anything. I LOVE this game, and maybe have built up my expectations way too high. But nonetheless, I am underwhelmed so far.

Please feel free to correct my oversights if I'm missing something though! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you're missing are some strange interactions and way characters can be powerful in non-obvious ways. Bilbo in particular is fantastic solitaire and has a great low threat. Frodo also has some neat tricks that he can do. I thought the card that let you discard for defense or willpower (I forget the name) was terrible until I realized some combos (by reading on the internet) that made it so powerful that FFG errata'd it! Read around the forums and you'll see some amazing things for cards you thought sucked. Another example: I thought Gloin was just mediocre until I read a strategy article about him today and saw some really cool things I would not have thought of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true... I will definitely withhold any final thoughts until I've had a chance to REALLY put them to the test!

And besides, my faith has been restored thanks to the 3rd adventure pack, A Journey to Rhosgobel. There are some great cards in that deck! lol... Getting excited all over again. Time to build!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't be too disappointed just yet - those Eagle cards get a couple of capstone cards in some of the other packs that tie them together into something of a powerhouse. And Frodo is an incredible defender - especially later when you can beef him up with some of the cards in the Mirkwood cycle (trying to avoid spoilers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never ever use Bilbo ?

you need to try him man, out of my 35 games solo includes 4 times of Massing at Osgiliath, paired with Theodred and Glorspirit, I only lost 6 times total and thanks to his ability of getting many cards earlier. He's weak at 2HP so he's prone to direct damage, so it's better to equip him Burning Brand and PoL, and also A Test of Will is handy to cancel WR on him

Frodo is also awesome, I played several times Glorspirit with Frodo-Bilbo, pretty solid too but without Leadership, it's slightly harder without Sneak Attack/SoG because the resources are scarce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 2 core sets and every expansion. If I had to do it over again, I'd skip the "Return the Mirkwood" Cycle and go straight to Kazadum. Kazadum/Dwarrowdelf cycle is the best in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frodo can be a monster tank with cheap attachments and starts with low threat. Consider the fact that he can soak up more damage than anyone else due to his ability.

And Bilbo is great. Just by having him, in duo play, you get 50% more card draws. Or 100% if you solo. That's huge! With him and Berevor you get to draw 5 cards per turn as opposed to the normal 2. So 250% more cards And his starting threat is low.

The eagles really come into play when you have all of them. Some eagles may seem worthless, but they synergies well with other eagles. For example, add this to the table "Eagles of Misty Mountains" and then play other eagle cards. When those other cards die, the "Eagles" become more and more powerful. I got them in a game to 7/7/7 and 5HP for stats.

For a list of all the eagles: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-a...&
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hated Bilbo and Frodo for thematic reasons, and thought Brand just plain sucked except for in the right co-op setting. I have never used Bilbo because he is comfortably composing poetry in Hobbiton during the time period of this game.... and Frodo is simply an adolescent hobbit. To imply that he 1.) adventures 2.) has the ring already and 3.) uses it as a tool is absolutely absurd. Therefore I have never used Frodo either because it just makes no thematic sense.

Don't despair! The heroes get much, much better in other packs. And don't sell the Eagles cards short yet. I have learned to LOVE partial eagle decks, and in fact it was a tactics/lore deck that relied heavily on eagles that I finally beat A Journey to Rhosgobel (one of the hardest scenarios to date) with solo. Their are few decks I enjoy running quite as well as one with Legolas and Eagles.

But of course, you are not even mentioning the best part... the scenarios keep getting better. I always find it strange how everyone obsesses over the new player cards when a pack is released, when in fact it is the opportunity to see a new aspect of the game and explore a new portion of Middle Earth that really makes me salivate over new APs coming out. The new Encounter and Quest cards are what really set the LOTR experience apart from every other run of the mill CCG/LCG.

I think skipping the entire Mirkwood cycle will be doing yourself a disservice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldon Jones
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
I also hated Bilbo and Frodo for thematic reasons, and thought Brand just plain sucked except for in the right co-op setting. I have never used Bilbo because he is comfortably composing poetry in Hobbiton during the time period of this game.... and Frodo is simply an adolescent hobbit. To imply that he 1.) adventures 2.) has the ring already and 3.) uses it as a tool is absolutely absurd. Therefore I have never used Frodo either because it just makes no thematic sense.

I think you may be mistaken about the time period of the game. It starts at the time of Bilbo's birthday party and ends when Frodo leaves the Shire. Frodo has the Ring for this entire period, and does use it on occasion. Bilbo is off exploring before eventually ending up in Rivendell. I don't see much thematic issue with either of them as heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
aldaryn wrote:
I thought Gloin was just mediocre until I read a strategy article about him today and saw some really cool things I would not have thought of.

Since I have a hunch about what you are referring to, let me say this: Awesome man, I did not envision such reactions, but it sure feels great. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Bilbo in particular is fantastic solitaire and has a great low threat.

Might be the first time I've read about Bilbo having low threat. Usually it's a gripe with people that his card-draw ability boosts his threat higher than the total of his stats (which the threat for most characters). Also, threat 9 isn't generally considered low AFAIK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just open the other three as well so you have the player cards from the complete cycle. Especially the last one is very nice for using eagles in your deck. The heroes in the other three packs are also considerably more powerful (if you are looking for potent heroes... low-threat heroes definitely have their uses, too).

I very much like the Dunedain attachments (esp. those from the first two packs). There are some really nice allies, too. The song cards are pretty cool, too.

Of course, there are only very few different player cards in each pack, the main content of those is the additional adventure.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to find Radagast and you will find out why Eagles are ok :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the thoughts, advice, and things to look out for! I didn't think it was possible, but you fellow adventurers have gotten me more stoked about playing this game! lol

And I didn't comment on the new adventures in each pack, because I refuse to look at them or the encounter cards in each adventure pack until I come to them at my point in the journey. Trying to stay spoiler free and get surprised with each new quest!

Will definitely check out the other three packs I have in the Mirkwood cycle! Looking forward to all the upcoming adventures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cruehitman wrote:

And I didn't comment on the new adventures in each pack, because I refuse to look at them or the encounter cards in each adventure pack until I come to them at my point in the journey. Trying to stay spoiler free and get surprised with each new quest!

That is all well and good, and certainly your choice -- just understand going in that you are going to get your teeth kicked in a few times if you are "playing blind" like that... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind getting my teeth kicked in! Besides, you can only be surprised once. After doing it, you know what is expected from the quest from that point on. So it's kinda worth getting blasted to see what's around the next corner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Roddis
msg tools
Some of the Dunadain stuff is pretty good. I think in one of the later ones you get the dwarf hero Dain Ironfoot which I think is necessary to complete the Khaza-Dum expansion using a dwarf theme but that is just my opinion. Bilbo is actually quite good - drawing an extra card a round is a very nice treat indeed. Some of the missions in the Mirkwood cycle are among my favourites too, namely Conflict at the Carrock and Return to Mirkwood. Hope you enjoy your purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cruehitman wrote:
I don't mind getting my teeth kicked in! Besides, you can only be surprised once. After doing it, you know what is expected from the quest from that point on. So it's kinda worth getting blasted to see what's around the next corner!

Fully agree. It's more fun to me playing the adventures without looking through the cards the first time.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cruehitman wrote:

I would agree. I typically purchase an entire expansion cycle at once, and then systematically play through the scenarios one by one, using the deck from the scenario before when I move onto the next. After the intial rape, it's fun to go back and start tweaking the deck to advance to the next quest and beat it.

I am currently on Redhorn Gate and still loving the experience this game brings when you play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.