Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend already owns Talisman, so I'm itching to find something better. Mainly, the funnest-bestest RPG Fantasy board game ever conceived?!? Preferably something my game group can play in one 3-hour sitting with little downtime and lots of interaction, excitement etc...Looking at the newest high-ranking games, I noticed Descent 2.0 and Mage Knight seemed like good candidates.

Which of these is superior? Secondly, If you have played these two games would you still recommend another fantasy RPG instead? Thirdly for RPG fantasy die-hards, if you could only own one RPG Fantasy game what would it be?

All done with the questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 1-2 maybe 3 players, go Mage Knight. If you have 3+ players, go Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
get descent 2 now and save for mage knight, they're both good but I give the edge to descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
I own (and love) Mage Knight and have played (and like) the first Descent.
I also own (and sometimes enjoy) the newest Talisman with the FFG upgrade pack.

I don't think Mage Knight is what you are after. As posted above, if you have upto 3 people, Mage Knight could be good, but it is not a 3hr game unless you are playing very quickly and/or playing the blitz scenarios.

I'd recommend you look into Descent 2.0. I haven't yet, but I assume it is an updated Descent which is quite good (definitely better than Talisman) and plays a lot quicker than Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you just mean fantasy game, because neither of thsee games are RPGs. There is no role-playing involved.

Sorry, I cannot offer any suggestions, because I have only played the first Descent and Mage Knight. Although, like the poster above me stated, it may be hard to complete MK in 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly neither of these are RPGs. They are board games. But Mage Knight feels MUCH LESS like an RPG than Descent 2.0. They are both good but quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a step up from talisman both are far too heavy IMO. Especially Mage Knight. You might be better of with the D&D Board games maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both of these and at the moment am spending a lot more time playing Descent rather than Mage Knight. Based on your post I agree with some of the others above about Mage Knight not being what you're looking for. Depending on your group there can be a lot of downtime while you wait for other players to take their turn. It speeds up with repeated play but will still take a small age to play. If you've got more than three players in the group then I'd keep clear as it'll just take too long. Also, I would definitely avoid playing this with anyone who suffers from analysis paralysis.

Descent 2.0 on the other hand is relatively quick to get a session in and has minimal downtime. Lots of dice rolling for attacks and defence and nicely laid out cards telling you what you can do, which dice to roll etc. I've played this with groups of 2-5 players and it scales pretty well. The only time I've seen it break down as a game is when the heroes fail to work together to achieve their quest goal. The campaign mode in there is great too for linking your sessions together into one rpg like adventure chain.

Both fantastic games but of the two and what you're describing I'd say go for Descent. If you haven't already done so have a look at the Tom Vasel reviews for both. Paul Grogan also does a pretty good intro to playing Mage Knight so that'll be worth a look too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is not your typical fantasy adventure game. It is almost luck free (you know what you're fighting and can calculate whether you can win or not) and doesn't give you the adventure feel, despite its far superior design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is superior, but doesnt fit your criteria.

Descent isn't superior, but fits your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H4msterbacke wrote:

Yes, that's simply what I want to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is superior to Descent in the same way a scoop of vanilla is superior to a deep fried Snicker's Bar. If you like multiplayer solitaire Eurogames where MOVING YOUR PAWN takes half your brain cells, yes, it's superior. If you want direct confrontation and the lamentation of women your opponents, Descent 2E is superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lubi123 wrote:
H4msterbacke wrote:

Yes, that's simply what I want to say

Me, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saying Mage Knight is superior is like saying Stilton cheese is superior to Vermont white cheddar.

It may be more euro and higher in the ranks on BGG, but is not mainstream nor does it capture the feel of a fantasy RPG at all. It is a multiplayer solitaire pawn pusher with a lot of moving parts and hand management that really shines as a solo game when you don't have to sit and watch other players' brains burning for hours.

Descent captures the grind of a computer RPG quite well. If you want amazing storytelling then you need a real RPG. For Talisman fans, I'd really keep an eye out for Relic which is a revamp of Talisman in the Warhammer 40K sci fi universe.

My favorite RPG-lite board game of all time is City of Chaos, but as it's an OOP grail game I probably shouldn't tempt you with it. whistle

In summary, some people like their cheese complex, fungating and stinky; and some want something that goes well on a sandwich (and everyone has an opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caadamec wrote:
Honestly neither of these are RPGs. They are board games. But Mage Knight feels MUCH LESS like an RPG than Descent 2.0. They are both good but quite different.

I disagree. I play RPG's that are video games. Are they not RPG's because they are a video game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBulletKY wrote:
caadamec wrote:

I disagree. I play RPG's that are video games. Are they not RPG's because they are a video game?

Depends. Some people think that a hack 'n slash is a RPG because it has elements of a true RPG like gaining levels and skills. But do you role play? Probably some do but some don't.

In my opinion, role play is not necessarily achieved only by playing a true Role Playing Game. I've seen a lot of good role play playing Tales of the Arabian Nights but no one is going to confuse that with a RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You CAN play D2E like an RPG.

Skill Checks: Unlike D1E, D2E has skill checks you can use in non-combat situations. For example, you can use Knowledge to check if a character knows a piece of information for a problem they are solving.

Quests: It's only the game's quests that make the game focus on combat. You will need to design your own adventure, or adapt one, that emphasizes roleplaying over combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.