Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using a Surge if attacks are defended rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Grev
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
If a hero attacks with a Staff (magic staff)that causes 1 damage to a nearby monster and the OL defends against all attacks on the main monster, can the heroes still spend the surge to do damage to the second monster within three spaces? Or do they have to do damage to the first monster in order for that surge to be useable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the rules that suggests that an attack must do a damage for surges to be usable (except for Conditions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Only a miss negates all effects of the attack, which would include surge spending.

In fact, I'd say regaining fatigue for example is an excellent use of surges in cases where a defense roll completely dominates whatever s hero could achieve with their attack roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say that a miss due to insufficient range also has no effect, regardless of surges rolled (assuming the surges couldn't have been spent to increase the range by enough to matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all of the above with one exception..

In my opinion if you've applied a surge to an attack that is then successfully defended you can't then opt to recycle one or more surges for other benefits (restoring fatigue etc). It's only where an attack is an outright miss (i.e no defense roll has to take place) or you opt not to throw the surge(s) into your roll that the choice to recycle can be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding - if you miss outright (throwing an X), that is it - you cannot spend any surges rolled on ANY powers or abilities, including restoring fatigue.

As you roll attack dice simultaneously with defence dice, you can then choose where to apply any surges (including to recover fatigue), to the limit of using each listed power or ability ONCE, and applying each surge result ONCE. If a ranged attack has insufficient points of range to hit, you can still spend surges to boost range (if you have an appropriate ability or weapon that allows surges to be spent this way), or you could choose to spend the surges in other ways (for example, on recovering a point of fatigue), even though the attack "missed".

You shouldn't need to "re-allocate" surges at any time, because you'll already know your potential to hit, miss or do damage as defence dice are rolled BEFORE surges are applied (IIRC, this is different to 1st ed and might be a source of confusion). But each surge can only be spent once - so if you spent it unwisely (boosting range on an attack that's going to do no damage, for example) then TOUGH - unless your Overlord is allowing "take-backs" (which I probably would, FWIW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
I would also say that a miss due to insufficient range also has no effect, regardless of surges rolled (assuming the surges couldn't have been spent to increase the range by enough to matter).

Except that it's not in the rules anywhere. That was the case in 1st Ed, but not so in 2nd Ed. Only rolling an X means you cannot spend surges. In all other cases, go nuts.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogne Skjærshamn
msg tools
andrewmdale wrote:
Agree with all of the above with one exception..

In my opinion if you've applied a surge to an attack that is then successfully defended you can't then opt to recycle one or more surges for other benefits (restoring fatigue etc). It's only where an attack is an outright miss (i.e no defense roll has to take place) or you opt not to throw the surge(s) into your roll that the choice to recycle can be made.
According to the rules, you spend the surges AFTER the rolling the dice, so recycling surges really isn't a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.