Subject: Warm Water Port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday the following situation came up:
I SR-ed a Russian division from Tiflis to Fao (through Arabistan - collecting the VP-penalty for a Russian unit first entering Arabistan) in order to add 2 to the Russian Victory Point count to delay the start of the Russian revolution. I think this was played correctly, wasn't it?

Now for my question:
The card text says:
Quote:
If port is not already a VP space, mark as VP space for remainder of the game.

Does this imply that the VP marker is moved 1 space in favour of the AP player?

And could the CP payer gain a VP later on if he entered the Fao-space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If Fao wasn't already an AP controlled space you could not SR there. If Fao was already an AP (i.e. British) controlled space it would not convert to Russian.

AP/British spaces do not become AP/Russian when RU units enter them. However, if Russia controlled Fao (i.e. liberated it from Turkish control) then Warm Water Port would turn it into a VP space for the remainder of the game.

Of course the Russians wouldn't just have to liberate Fao, they'd also have to have a continuous line of Ru controlled spaces back to Petrovsk from Fao: a practical impossibility.

Basically Warm Water Port can't be played as an event against an even semi-competent opponent. Move on, nothing to see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IQTom wrote:
If Fao wasn't already an AP controlled space you could not SR there. If Fao was already an AP (i.e. British) controlled space it would not convert to Russian.

AP/British spaces do not become AP/Russian when RU units enter them. However, if Russia controlled Fao (i.e. liberated it from Turkish control) then Warm Water Port would turn it into a VP space for the remainder of the game.

Of course the Russians wouldn't just have to liberate Fao, they'd also have to have a continuous line of Ru controlled spaces back to Petrovsk from Fao: a practical impossibility.

Basically Warm Water Port can't be played as an event against an even semi-competent opponent. Move on, nothing to see here.

This is all very true (not but what I have acheived the "practical impsossibility on one occasion!). Answering the specific question, no the Aps do not gain a VP when Warm water port is played. The space is now a VP space, which means they have an extra liability to protect for the rest of the game, to reflect the prestige which would be lost if the Warm water port were captured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.