1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Controversial wargames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A D
msg tools
mb
Which war games include controversial subjects and are there subjects you find too much to accept?

I think of things like child soldiers, genocide, systematic rapes, terrorism, human shields, biologial or chemical warfare, and such.

Most games leaves out the sufferings of the civilians and such.

I have some trouble with horses taking part in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
First I read this...

Antianti wrote:

I think of things like child soldiers, genocide, systematic rapes, terrorism, human shields, biologial or chemical warfare, and such.

... and then this... shake

Antianti wrote:

This post is a fake, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so anyway (being fake that is).

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horses are nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mb
Nope. I haven't played that many war games, and so far the only bad feeling I got was with horses dying.

Of the mentioned subjects, I have only touched the subject of child soliders (I think) in some A&AM scenario. I think some soldiers was supposed to be hitler jugends defending Berlin or something. But I might dreamt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Antianti wrote:

This needs to be on a t-shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antianti wrote:

But not with humans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
I always felt sorry for John Wayne's horse - not that it might get shot, just that it had to carry all 300 pounds of John Wayne hither and yon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been the odd kerfuffle over King Philip's War, Resistance Is Not Futile: Warsaw 1943 and Liberia: Descent Into Hell – The Liberian Civil War 1989-1996.

As far as I know, none of these games depict gratuitous violence against quadrupeds. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
There's been the odd kerfuffle over King Philip's War, Resistance Is Not Futile: Warsaw 1943 and Liberia: Descent Into Hell – The Liberian Civil War 1989-1996.

As far as I know, none of these games depict gratuitous violence against quadrupeds. . .

Unlike War films. I notice that kids will sit through films with people getting their arms and legs blown off without batting an eyelid but as soon as an animal gets injured/killed there's uproar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antianti wrote:
Nope. I haven't played that many war games, and so far the only bad feeling I got was with horses dying.

Of the mentioned subjects, I have only touched the subject of child soliders (I think) in some A&AM scenario. I think some soldiers was supposed to be hitler jugends defending Berlin or something. But I might dreamt it.

What's your definition of a child soldier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No hairy armpits and carrying a gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cage wrote:
No hairy armpits and carrying a gun.

Could be a woman soldier.

Unless she was French of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Antianti wrote:

Article 38 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:

3. States Parties shall refrain from recruiting any person who has not attained the age of fifteen years into their armed forces. In recruiting among those persons who have attained the age of fifteen years but who have not attained the age of eighteen years, States Parties shall endeavour to give priority to those who are oldest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

First game I thought of too. There are some decisions that must be made while playing which can be very disturbing in real life terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Antianti wrote:

Article 38 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:

3. States Parties shall refrain from recruiting any person who has not attained the age of fifteen years into their armed forces. In recruiting among those persons who have attained the age of fifteen years but who have not attained the age of eighteen years, States Parties shall endeavour to give priority to those who are oldest.

And that's why I ask; if the UN definition is applied, then the US is at issue. The US armed forces do enlist (not conscript) 17 year olds with the consent of a parent. Therefore, any wargame depicting US forces would be "controversial" by the UN defintion and the OP's criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Quote:
fake
no, no, not on BGG, every account is a loving caring progressive loving caring elite human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
My Little Pony: The Reckoning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Far too much horseplay in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm guessing that wargaming might not be your thing. Give Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small a try and let us know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
And that's why I ask; if the UN definition is applied, then the US is at issue.

I rather suppose the OP meant that the controversial is explicitly represented by some mechanism in the game rules, not that it merely exists implicitly in the background. Otherwise every wargame has torture, rape, murder of civilians, etc since these sorts of things happen in every war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I rather suppose the OP meant...

...to start a bit of shit

Only someone of like mind would oblige...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antianti wrote:

How about nuclear warfare?

Antianti wrote:
Most games leaves out the sufferings of the civilians and such.

Depending on the conflict, civilian casualties rarely factor into winning or losing a war. This changed substantially in the latter 20th Century.

A number of games do factor in the impact of inflicting damage to non-military targets. Tet Offensive, for example, increases the penalty to the Allied player for calling aerial strikes on cities and towns, often forcing the Allied player to make difficult choices regarding the recapturing of urban areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antianti wrote:

The deaths of both horses and humans are what we simulate in many wargaems I don't have a problem with it. I have state many times, my personal pacifist beliefs and wargaming do not have problems. Most of these types of games will have controversial although many are abstracted.

Although if I had to abstract killing a centaur in a game I don't know if I could sleep at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.