Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my thoughts -using okumarts star trek paper minis for the game, I am interested in melding Fearsome Floors with Redshirts to come up with a game of terror and hilarity for an 8-yr-old.

Try to lead your landing party back to the ship by avoiding/out-running/blasting-it-with-phazers-to-win-some-time, and if someone has to go in first, then it would definitely be your redshirts.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant to add that what you're running from is a monster of some sort that can only be slowed down in its pursuit of...you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
Sounds like a fun idea but I have no familiarity with the 2 games that you mentioned, so I can't really help, but I'm interested to see where this goes and will keep an eye on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davot wrote:
Any ideas?

About what? It's your game. My idea is to encourage you to pursue the concept and try to make the best game you can. We can certainly help you improve the game once you have at least a tentative idea for mechanics, though.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanics are not my specialty at all - looking for ideas, I guess. I'll post an overview of what my vision is, and then we'll see if the collective brains of this site can come up with anything that will both thrill and terrify my nephew at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time limits on turns might give a frantic feel - which some people might find fun and others not, but would at least fit the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my vision on this:

[u]Expendable Crewman[/u]

Your ship sends several (2-5 players)landing parties to a seemingly abandoned planetary mining station out in sector four to search for an item left behind by the miners. The Romulans and Klingons both were made aware of this as well, leading them to send parties of their own.

It's only after you have landed that you realize why the station was abandoned in the first place - it's inhabited by something else! As you call for immediate extraction you become aware of something quite terrifying - the transporting station on your ship has been interfered with somehow leaving you and your party to engineer an escape from available items and systems at the mining station. You and other parties try to escape alone, or meet up and figure it out together, but first you have to find each other.

You'll face Klingons, Romulans, and unheard-of monsters on your race to escape the station.

Yellow shirts - the players of the game
Blue shirts - engineers, doctors, electronics officers who offer special abilities and skills
Red shirts - cannon fodder for buying time to escape

Any ideas on the mechanics to make this happen would be appreciated. I will be trying valiently to make this myself, but I'm an amateur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that is a good start. Now let's move in a direction and narrow the design space a bit:

--How do you envision the game? When you close your eyes and imagine players sitting at the table, enjoying the game, what are they doing? Are there cards? Dice? A board? Miniatures? Sock puppets? Legos?

--How do players win? Is this a competetive game? Cooperative? Semi-cooperative?

--Will players have different "powers?" Meaning, will a player's character matter, such as one player taking a character that runs fast but doesn't know how to hack a computer console, while another player is fat and slow but can construct make-shift weapons?

--How long would you like a typical game to last?

--How tense do you want the game to be? And where will the tension come from? Will this be a cutthroat game where players will try to screw each other over in order to get out first? Will players try to work together to get everybody out before the big scary monster eats them? Will there be a tense push-your-luck style mechanic where a player is holding his or her breath and hoping to get a good result?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
kurthl33t wrote:
--How tense do you want the game to be? And where will the tension come from?

He did say this was for an 8 year old, if he loses he might have to eat more veggies at dinner devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingo on your thoughts...I think you're nailing the issues I'm having with how to structure the game. I want it to be just as tense as Fearsome Floors is, and also be as semi-cooperoperative as that game as well. You've given me some foof for thought.

Thanks, and keep it coming. If you're interested in helping me on this I'd be glad to have you along. Once again, it will be something that I would like my nephew to enjoy, but not to kiddish - he's sharp as a tack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davot wrote:
Bingo on your thoughts...I think you're nailing the issues I'm having with how to structure the game. I want it to be just as tense as Fearsome Floors is, and also be as semi-cooperoperative as that game as well. You've given me some foof for thought.

Excellent, you're on your way!

Quote:
If you're interested in helping me on this I'd be glad to have you along.

I'm always up for a good brainstorming session, but I've got plenty of projects on my plate already; I'll leave the legwork in your capable hands. (Which may be mixing metaphors, but I'm okay with that.) I just enjoy helping people learn how to design. You'll have to do the actual designing on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first comment is to not use the terms "Romulan" or "Klingon" or any of their ilk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thren
United States
Whitesville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some thoughts:

Monster movement mechanic - it moves towards a certain group based on the amount of fear/terror your current group has vs. others. Random movement that is uncontrolled by any other player.

Colored doors - certain colors can be opened after power is restored to the station by the ingenuity of your crew members, others can be manually opened.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.