Subject: Game Concept and Rules feedback desired rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boone Dryden
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hello all.

I am currently working on the finer points of a game. I have a majority of the rules and game mechanic written up (though not yet to a play test) and would be interested to get a another pair of eyes or two on it.

It is a resource-gathering game with an obvious strategy element and some unique elements to distinguish it from some games. So anyone with some knowledge in games like Agricola or Catan or the like would be great. Please feel free to post here or send me a note.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just post it. No one will steal your idea and you will get great feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be willing to look at it. I enjoy such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Just post it. No one will steal your idea and you will get great feedback

+1. The more open you are about your ideas, the more difficult they are to steal, anyway. After all, you will have timestamped posts online demonstrating exactly when you began discussing the concepts. So even IF you come up with something groundbreaking and even IF someone steals the idea, creates a prototype, tests it, perfects it, and publishes the finished game before you, you can still take action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boone Dryden
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
As someone intensely interested in intellectual property, I am always a little leery when it comes to posting more large-scale concepts such as this online. Unfortunately even a time-stamp on a site and such is very little protection against an actual copyright, but it is, at least, something.

Mostly, too, it's a long document, and it would take up a substantial portion of a full page. So for convenience I will just post a few items.

"Overview: Generations ago the 7 children of Lord Lisifarain were each given a relic that bestowed upon them practical gifts in the realm of governance. Now, the descendents of those 7 siblings have returned to Lisfarn fleeing economic hardship, war, new resources, and a variety of others means to progress in a stagnant world. You are the eldest of the new line of Lisifarain and must rise to the position in your family to lead them to greatness. From the meager beginnings of your small Family to the ruler of a great Empire, you must choose the right path to become the most recognized ruler of Lisfarn."

"Concepts:
Adventures: As noble and honorable Houses, your people are eager to gain knowledge, prowess, wealth, and fame. In Linsfarn this is done through Event Cards called “Adventures,” which allow a Player to spend appropriate Power Tokens to send their people to complete quests. These quests are either 1-, 2-, or 3-Tier Adventures that have varying rewards for each House (See Events).
Attributes: Each House in Linsfarn has one or two Attributes that describe their particular bonuses throughout the game. While these Attributes generally apply to certain activities, certain Adventures, Buildings, Events, and Improvements give additional bonuses based on these Attributes. (See Attributes).
Crafting: Basic Resources are useful for many things, but they are most useful when put to practical uses. In Linsfarn Houses are able to make use of their Resources through five different Buildings to produce Luxury Goods worth more Wealth than their original Resources (See Crafting).
Houses: History is made of great House (remembered and forgotten). In Linsfarn players take leadership of a House, each with a special focus in the world they have been born into (See Houses).
Powers: In Linsfarn Powers are a representation of your House’s power over their territories. Influence represents an ability to lead your people through social progress, acumen, charisma, and demeanor. Military represents your strength of force, your leadership as a general, and your knowledge of tactics and war strategy. Wealth demonstrates your monetary might, proving that you are a financial force more than anything else (See Powers).
Progressing: As the game of Linsfarn moves throughs its Rounds, players are able to Progress their House from a small Family to a mighty Empire (See Progress)."

"Round:
Phase 1 -- Determine Turn Order (after Round 2)
Phase 2 -- Purchase (Armies, Buildings, or Events)
Phase 3 -- Receive Taxes
Phase 4 -- Actions (Perform 1 per Family Level)
Acquire Territory
Gathering Resources
Trade
Use Card
Phase 5 -- Tally Points (oldest player wins in a tie)
Phase 6 -- Progress House Level (if applicable)
Phase 7 -- Reshuffle Cards/Disband Armies"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have the mechanics well-thought-out. Mazel tov. I do have an issue with one thing: "Now, the descendents of those 7 siblings have returned to Lisfarn fleeing economic hardship, war, new resources, and a variety of others means to progress...." Why would they be fleeing new resources and means to progress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boone Dryden
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
@kurthl33t: Fair point Edit has been made :-) Thanks much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have your flavor well thought out, though from what you posted I can't really understand the entirety of the mechanics of the game.

It looks like you must have a means of crafting your characters (or perhaps you just pick one of 7 preset characters with their bonuses already picked)

Event cards are played (do players have the option of picking from multiple possible events? can you play (bad/difficult to complete successfully) events against other players?) and then players spend tokens to complete the events.

How do the relics (only spoken of in your first paragraph) affect all of this? I would assume that they are not flavor, and that they have actual game play effects.

Also, it seems like there are a lot of "Resources" (not the resource that you have named "basic resources", though that is one of them, Influence, wealth, military, attributes, luxury goods) are these all numbers that you keep track of, or are they represented through other means (military are represented by separate units or squads)

the sentence "History is made of great House (remembered and forgotten)" doesn't seem complete to me.

That is just after a quick read through. perhaps my questions are answered in other parts of the document - it is just that I don't have access to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boone Dryden
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
It looks like you must have a means of crafting your characters (or perhaps you just pick one of 7 preset characters with their bonuses already picked)

Houses are preset. There are 7 options with a 1-6 Player game (I am thinking of putting together a single-player option). As it stands now I have two different ideas for starting this off: 1) Players choose a starting territory and are given a random House to play as (on the premise that you can't choose what family you're born into); or 2) Players choose a starting House and are given a random territory to start in.

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
Event cards are played (do players have the option of picking from multiple possible events? can you play (bad/difficult to complete successfully) events against other players?) and then players spend tokens to complete the events.

Events can be purchased in Phase 2: Purchase, along with Armies and Buildings (choose one). You simply purchase the card at this point (via Power tokens -- Military for Armies, Influence for Events, and Wealth for Buildings), and then pay the cost to actually play it later in Phase 4: Actions. There are both positive and negative cards, as well as World Events that all players are affected by.

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
How do the relics (only spoken of in your first paragraph) affect all of this? I would assume that they are not flavor, and that they have actual game play effects.

Each House has a relic. The relics represent the power or benefits of that house. If you're playing a House, you simply get the bonuses on the House Card. If a House is not being played, then the relic can be quested for through an Adventure Event Card called "Quest: (relic)". For example, in a two-player game, House Armous and Trevair House are being played. So the other 5 relics can be quested for, and the "Quest: relic" cards for Armous and Trevair are removed from the game. However, a Player can acquire another House's relic if they acquire all of their territories, essentially conquering that House.

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
Also, it seems like there are a lot of "Resources" (not the resource that you have named "basic resources", though that is one of them, Influence, wealth, military, attributes, luxury goods) are these all numbers that you keep track of, or are they represented through other means (military are represented by separate units or squads)

There are 8 basic resources, which are used to build buildings and raise armies. There are six crafted goods, which can be used to acquire wealth. Power (as a resource) are used to influence the game in other ways. Attributes I've tossed out entirely; too complicated.

They will all have their own tokens. I'm just deciding now how they'll be represented.

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
The [sic] sentence "History is made of great House (remembered and forgotten)" doesn't seem complete to me.

I will make an edit

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
That is just after a quick read through. perhaps my questions are answered in other parts of the document - it is just that I don't have access to that.

This is only the basics. I have a number of the other mechanics and such in the works in a Google document, which I'd be happy to share if you'd like to send me a message (and that goes for anyone). I just don't like to post unfinished work.

Thanks for the feedback. It's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boone Dryden
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
New stuff:

"Houses:
Armous House: To his son, Armin, Lord Lisifarain bestowed a great tome of history and knowledge, legends and stories of old, from which Armin gleaned much about the progress of man and used it to aid his people in not repeating the errors of their ancestors.
Bonus: Begin the game as a Clan (Advanced).

Dallan House: The most powerful of the 7 siblings, Dallan was given a sword made of steel, a rarity and heirloom of immense worth. Through his prowess and ingenuity, he and his progeny have led Dallan House through many wars.
Bonuses: +1 Military Power (Righteousness); Military Cards cost one less Resource to play (Inventive).

Everin House:
Bonuses: +1 Resource per gathering (Efficient); +1 Resource from adjacent territory when gathering (owner’s choice) (Resourceful).

Lonegris House:
Bonuses: +1 Wealth per territory when collecting Taxes (Prosperous); Wealth Cards cost one less Resource (owner’s choice) to play (Economical).

Samari House:
Bonus: Samari School of Thought (Special Building, see Buildings) (Profiteer).

Trevair House:
Bonuses: +1 Trade Action per House Level (Mercantile); Receives Taxes before Purchase phase (Enterprising).

Valder House:
Bonuses: Inciting Rebellions in Valder territories cost +5 Influence (stackable with other bonuses) (Loyalty); Influence Cards cost one less Resource to play (Acumen)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.